PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Kind of the flip side of your Rocky Mountain Oysters, but I've got one. I've heard that Mahi Mahi was once more commonly known as "Dolphin Fish." The name was gradually changed on restaurant menus to "Mahi Mahi" (which is apparently the Hawaiian name for the species) because restaurant patrons would think of a bottle-nosed dolphin when seeing "Dolphin Fish" and thought they'd be eating Flipper, so they didn't order it much. Needless to say, restaurants sell a lot more "Mahi Mahi" than they did "Dolphin Fish."

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Kind of the flip side of your Rocky Mountain Oysters, but I've got one. I've heard that Mahi Mahi was once more commonly known as "Dolphin Fish." The name was gradually changed on restaurant menus to "Mahi Mahi" (which is apparently the Hawaiian name for the species) because restaurant patrons would think of a bottle-nosed dolphin when seeing "Dolphin Fish" and thought they'd be eating Flipper, so they didn't order it much. Needless to say, restaurants sell a lot more "Mahi Mahi" than they did "Dolphin Fish."
kind of like cottage cheese. nobody wants to eat clambered milk

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I think people already don't eat haggis though, regardless of knowing what's in it
I’m pretty sure the Scotts are people, but your right, not legally available in the U.S.

From that legal beacon we call Wikipedia:
“In 1971 it became illegal to import haggis into the US from the UK due to a ban on food containing sheep lung, which constitutes 10–15% of the traditional recipe”

Status
Not open for further replies.