PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t like the thought of it, but on some level, “meat is meat”.
However, full disclosure, our house gave up eating beef, pork, lamb etc. some years ago so I am not impartial.
True... I love me an infant-burger whenever possible. Or Human Veal... delicious and oh so tender! It’s best if they’ve been fully restrained since birth.

• Wow
Reactions: peregrinus
Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
I don’t like the thought of it, but on some level, “meat is meat”.
However, full disclosure, our house gave up eating beef, pork, lamb etc. some years ago so I am not impartial.
Two of my three kids do not eat very much meat at all. I eat meat and veggies. I learned growing up you eat whats on the plate. The only thing I had problems with is Hominy never could eat it

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
On the subject of Haggis; when my brother lived in Scotland they had his wife's French friend stay with them; so naturally they served her a Haggis one evening. When she ask what it actually was they gave her two explanations:

1. They showed her a recipe for Haggis
2. They gave her the definition of it being a wee furry animal with three legs; one shorter than the other two that can only run around a hill in a clockwise direction otherwise it'll fall over.

She decided that the recipe was so bizarre that it had to be the strange three legged animal. But anyway; she quite like it and they're still friends.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Hominy never could eat it
Yes, foods that are pre-digested have never appealed to me either.
Here in the PNW we have a large Scandinavian population and I have had a number of friends who have offered me a “delicacy” called “Lutefisk“ which is dried whitefish. It is made from aged stockfish, or dried and salted cod and pickled in lye.
Hmmm... pass the hotdogs.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
One delicacy in Florence is the lampredotto.

Lampredotto is made from the fourth stomach of a cow... ...and is so called because of its resemblance to lampreda (Lamprey eel).

Tried it once; very happy never to repeat the experience.

Man, I grew up eating pig brains and eggs for breakfast, and all sorts of organs, which are actually very good for you. So, I am not the most discriminating eater. It would take a lot to gross me out to the point of not wanting to eat something. I probably wouldn't want to eat poop or piss or cilantro. But, other than that, if I was stuck with someone on a deserted island and hungry, I'd start looking forward to eating the first person to succumb to starvation. Although, if I waited for them to die, the meat probably wouldn't be as tasty. So, you'd better stay on your toes if stuck on an island with me... or camping... or just visiting. puffy

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Feijoada

Essentially a black bean stew (lots of regional and national variations in all Portuguese speaking countries) made with salt pork. Nothing is left to waste so it includes nose, ears, feet and other unlikely bits of pig.

Mind you; if you ever go into a traditional Portuguese pork butchers don't be surprised to see trays of pigs ears, noses, etc.

I think in most parts of Brazil (certainly true here in São Paulo and amongst the surprisingly large Brazilian community in Sydney) it's traditional eaten on Wednesday's and Sunday's.

Personally I rather like it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
oldschool, my late wife claimed hominy was the only food she really didn't eat; I don't find it interesting, but just dull, not repulsive. My dad went to a slaughter house with a buddy, in Chicago, when he was a student, and then they both went out for hot dogs. That probably would have turned me vegetarian. Especially if you grew up on meat, you really have to work at getting a vegetarian diet right or you'll get health problems. My late wife got terrible vertigo trying to give up meat. (I'm remarried, not a widower). Liver does not taste good to me, kind of ammonia-like, so I don't eat it. I'm unhappy when Chinese places say the dish is chicken and they give you hearts and livers, not chicken in my vernacular.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Dulse - an Irish delicacy: seaweed. Used to buy this at market stalls when staying with my parents in Ballycastle (Co. Antrim).

Brought some back from Ireland once to share with my project team (mixed French, Italian, German and even a couple of Brits); to say the French were unimpressed would be an understatement :) They only agreed to try it when I pointed out I ate snails when I was in France (actually I've been know to cook snails at home too - from tins; not collected from my garden...).

Reactions: BROBS

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
One of more bizarre meals I had in France included both Pigs Trotters and Calves Hooves courses with escargots as a starter.

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
oldschool, my late wife claimed hominy was the only food she really didn't eat; I don't find it interesting, but just dull, not repulsive. My dad went to a slaughter house with a buddy, in Chicago, when he was a student, and then they both went out for hot dogs. That probably would have turned me vegetarian. Especially if you grew up on meat, you really have to work at getting a vegetarian diet right or you'll get health problems. My late wife got terrible vertigo trying to give up meat. (I'm remarried, not a widower). Liver does not taste good to me, kind of ammonia-like, so I don't eat it. I'm unhappy when Chinese places say the dish is chicken and they give you hearts and livers, not chicken in my vernacular.
Chicken hearts are quite a popular churrasco (bbq) item over here.

I grew up eating offal; mainly pigs liver, kidneys, heart and the like.

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.