Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
BJvWLeF.jpg

KvVzgnY.jpg
... ?

@weezell Can you please inform me more about that pipe? A clay pipe? Cutty shape? Any specific brand?

Reactions: danimalia

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Hello,

as I'm continuing the pipe journey I found I love Dark Fired Kentucky. After reading some review, I can't remember which though, I came across Toscano cigars, made with 100% Kentucky tobacco (from the USA and Italy). Sounds interesting, is it anything like what I understand as DFK in pipe tobacco?

Now my cigar knowledge is nil, I've smoked a couple of cigars over the years and found they gave me, at the time, no flavour at all, however I think that's because I was a cigarette smoker of many years. Now that I can taste pipe tobacco I am itching to revisit the cigar thing, even though it is extremely expensive compared with pipes.

You might be interested in this offering on Cigar Monster... Kentucky fired cigars called the Swamp Thang

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
You might be interested in this offering on Cigar Monster... Kentucky fired cigars called the Swamp Thang

I saw some the other day called Swamp Thang, but they were candela wrapper. Are those the ones?

Reactions: crawdad

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
[Most are machine-made, but I have seen some that are handmade, and I renember seeing some Peruvian varieties as well. ]

The peruvian variety is called Amazon but it is actually all Italian Kentucky which is sent to be hand rolled in Peru' just for saving in labor cost.

Talking about Italian cigars one not well known is the "Nostrano del Brenta" which is actually a seed of Cuban origin which was brought in Northern Italy in the XVII century but which became a different variety given the different soil and air. It is a very good one someway midway between a Toscano and a Cuban cigar. Definitely to be tried

Are these what you're talking about?

They sound real interesting. I'll have to check them out if I get a chance.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Are these what you're talking about?

They sound real interesting. I'll have to check them out if I get a chance. ]

Yes, but they are overpriced on that site. The best of the four on that site is "Il Doge" which is 12 Eur for 3 pieces in Italy. The absolutely best are the "Il Clandestino" and the "Il Fondatore" which are 6 Eur each in Italy.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I had my first smoke of this. It was full bodied, spicy and heavy in nicotine. I liked it.

View attachment 34471

I have never tried Extra Vecchio, but I know that they are aged for 9 months contrary to the Antico line which is aged for a full year. Personally, comparing the Antico to Classico, I found the flavors were muted down in the former one. I wonder whether that is true or not in case of Extra Vecchio. I am also leaving the Toscano chart here, hopefully will be useful for you guys (it is in Italian though).

This was my first Toscano so I would not know, but I enjoyed it a lot. There were no rough edges!

I have never tried Extra Vecchio, but I know that they are aged for 9 months contrary to the Antico line which is aged for a full year. Personally, comparing the Antico to Classico, I found the flavors were muted down in the former one. I wonder whether that is true or not in case of Extra Vecchio. I am also leaving the Toscano chart here, hopefully will be useful for you guys (it is in Italian though).

Reactions: danimalia and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So I found some Toscanos and got Anticos and Classicos, started with half a Classico and definitely like it. It is not too dissimilar from DFK as I understand it, but definitely cigarish. I'll chop one up at some point to see how it fares in a pipe. Heavy in nicotine too! Haven't had a nic hit for a long long time!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

Thanks for this, I 've smoked through the 5-pack of Classicos and 3 of the Anticos, definitely like the Classico more as it feels a bit lighter in taste, and the tastes are more bright. Both are full flavoured, but the Classico is somewhat more nuanced. Either provide a 1.5 hour relaxed smoke and taste very good until the last fourth, their middle is the sweet spot for sure. One thing I noticed was that I got quite a few annoyed looks walking down the street with them rather than the pipe, which is usually bemusement, curiosity, half smiles etc

There's a 200-year edition called the Duecento (=two-hundred) which I'll also be trying, along with the Extra Vecchios.

All in all I'm very happy with these, only problem is I didn't need another tobacco product to like...

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I tried some of these Toscano cigars when I was in Florence last year. I quickly went back to my pipe ;)

Rougher than shaving with a brick and about the most bitter thing I ever smoked :ROFLMAO:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I tried some of these Toscano cigars when I was in Florence last year. I quickly went back to my pipe ;)

Rougher than shaving with a brick and about the most bitter thing I ever smoked :ROFLMAO:

I have no experience with cigars other than with these since I quit cigarettes 5 years ago now, 2 of which I am smoking a pipe daily. I didn't find them rough or bitter actually, I'd say they're predominantly woody, with some spice and a hint of sweetness here and there even.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have no experience with cigars other than with these since I quit cigarettes 5 years ago now, 2 of which I am smoking a pipe daily. I didn't find them rough or bitter actually, I'd say they're predominantly woody, with some spice and a hint of sweetness here and there even.

To each their own, buddy but I think they smell and taste like the exhaust gasses from a Trabant and they managed to make Florence appear ugly for an hour which is one hell of an achievement for tobacco. But then, I have a friend who says similar things about HH Bold Kentucky and I love that stuff :ROFLMAO:

I like to enjoy every tobacco I try, one way or another, even if I hate it. In this instance, my enjoyment comes from having a laugh with it. I enjoy the "WTF" tobaccos almost as much as the good ones with that attitude. 1792 flake was one of the best laughs I ever bought. I'll never forget the look on my Mrs face when I opened that tin for the first time. A special moment. I couldn't work out if she was reacting to my wince or the actual tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.