PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hello,

as I'm continuing the pipe journey I found I love Dark Fired Kentucky. After reading some review, I can't remember which though, I came across Toscano cigars, made with 100% Kentucky tobacco (from the USA and Italy). Sounds interesting, is it anything like what I understand as DFK in pipe tobacco?

Now my cigar knowledge is nil, I've smoked a couple of cigars over the years and found they gave me, at the time, no flavour at all, however I think that's because I was a cigarette smoker of many years. Now that I can taste pipe tobacco I am itching to revisit the cigar thing, even though it is extremely expensive compared with pipes.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Toscano cigars are one of my go tos when I can't decide what to smoke. Toscano Classico is a medium-bodied and smoky cigar with the notes of woods, earth and leather. It is peppery with subtle sweet tobacco taste and has a nice campfire aroma.

I don't know if you have ever smoked DFK in your pipe ( just DFK itself), I enjoy it a lot, but through the end of the bowl my palate starts getting bored. Fortunately that doesn't happen with Toscano cigars. You can cut one in half and smoke it that way or you can try smoking the whole thing (the draw is going to be firm). They burn really slow and produce lots of smoke. And yes, cigars smoke and taste better after you start smoking pipes.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Toscano cigars are good but you can't beat the MUWAT (My Uzi Weighs A Ton) Kentucky Fired Cured cigars from Drew Estates.
CS-J2H.png

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Most are machine-made, but I have seen some that are handmade, and I renember seeing some Peruvian varieties as well. ]

The peruvian variety is called Amazon but it is actually all Italian Kentucky which is sent to be hand rolled in Peru' just for saving in labor cost.

Talking about Italian cigars one not well known is the "Nostrano del Brenta" which is actually a seed of Cuban origin which was brought in Northern Italy in the XVII century but which became a different variety given the different soil and air. It is a very good one someway midway between a Toscano and a Cuban cigar. Definitely to be tried

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Big fan of Toscanos! My parents brought some back from Italy from the airport duty free a year or so back. There was a limited edition Limoncello flavored one that blew me away. Unfortunately too limited and I can't find it anymore. My buddy who is hit and miss with pipes really likes them as well.

And those MUWAT fire cured are unlike anything I've ever smoked. I smoked a couple a few years back and still remember the "burn scents" but would easily buy another.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
Can they be stored in your Humidor with everything else? I think I read somewhere that they don't belong in humidors. I love MUWATs and have toscanos waiting in my SPC cart.

Reactions: danimalia

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Besides the pipe I also use Snus or more often now the non tobacco nicotine pouches. I go to my favourite brick and mortar downtown to load up every month or so, and sometimes pick up something for a treat despite the 500% price increase due to insane Ontario taxes.

Last time I went I noticed these because of the dark fired Kentucky on the label. I bought a pack of 5 Toscano Classicos. Very nice smoke and I am not a cigar lover at all. They are a great no hassle smoke when you cut them in half, and there is a very nice smoky flavour to them - would recommend to anyone for a change of pace.

PS I checked the price of these on SP.com when I brought them home and I was shocked to see that the price was actually less at a B&M here than on the web (and even cheaper when you take the exchange rates into account). I will be buying more for just that reason as it’s not often I find any type of deal up here.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Can they be stored in your Humidor with everything else? ]

Some of them don't need humidor but if you put in a humidor don't put together with Cuban cigars as they are going to change the flavor of the Cubans.

Reactions: danimalia

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thank you all, this sounds good, I'll be getting some. They don't seem to be bad quality cigars but they're extremely cheap compared with more classic cigars like Cubans and Dominicans.

And knowing myself, I'll be abusing one to smoke in my DFK pipe :)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Toscano Anticos were the cigars that Clint Eastwood smoked in his spaghetti westerns.
View attachment 34031
These are almost the only cigars I smoke today + some cheap machine rolled Brazilian ones, as Humidors go my understanding is that Toscanos and alike may not necessarily benefit from a long term storing in humidors ,cuz you run the risk of ending up with a bundle of cigars with unwanted tight draw

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Toscano cigars are good but you can't beat the MUWAT (My Uzi Weighs A Ton) Kentucky Fired Cured cigars from Drew Estates.
CS-J2H.png
MUWAT Delfinas were my quick after lunch smoke once. I have to grab some again.

Talking about Italian cigars one not well known is the "Nostrano del Brenta" which is actually a seed of Cuban origin which was brought in Northern Italy in the XVII century but which became a different variety given the different soil and air. It is a very good one someway midway between a Toscano and a Cuban cigar. Definitely to be tried

Thanks for the advice.
Can they be stored in your Humidor with everything else? I think I read somewhere that they don't belong in humidors. I love MUWATs and have toscanos waiting in my SPC cart.

Here is the copy paste of my post from a previous thread:

Short answer no, you don't have to. Long answer, it is really up to you. The manufacturer clearly states that they are not required to be kept in a humidor. As it has already been mentioned, Toscanos are dry-cured cigars. After opening a pack of it, I kept it open for few weeks and there was no taste loss. My local cigar lounge keeps some in humidor and some outside. You may buy whichever you want, but according to the cigar lounge workers (that's what they have been told by the manufacturer) you don't need to put them into a humidor.
If I find enough time then I smoke a single stick, it takes more than an hour to finish it. But you have to keep in mind that you will be facing a tight draw problem. I usually cut them in the middle with a cigar scissor cutter and enjoy one for 20-30 minutes (they burn slow).

Status
Not open for further replies.