Any Thoughts on Getting Pipe Back From Lewis Pipe in MN?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Any thoughts on getting a pipe back from Lewis Pipes and Tobacco in Minneapolis, MN?

I spoke with Rich Lewis in April and sent him a Peter Matzhold bent Sandblasted for repair (broken stem--tenon broken in mortise).

Pipedia says he passed as of June this year (R.I.P.).

I've emailed and called, leaving messages several times. Today when I called, the number at the store is no longer working.

I looked up the details today of his obit and called the funeral home, Washburn & McReavy. They said they would pass on my phone number and concern to the family via phone (they didn't want to email).

Does anyone here know Richard's (Dick's) son Paul or one of his grandsons and might pass on my interest in getting this pipe returned. Sadly, his wife and parents passed before him (R.I.P.). So I'm guessing his son is handling things.

It appears the burial mass is coming up the end of the month but it feels a little creepy to me to contact his priest or cemetary. I would hate any of those folks to say to his son at the interment, ". . .oh, btw--there's this old guy in Texas pestering us about a broken pipe he sent Rich . . . ." (perhaps I've been watching too many "Kolchak" DVD's lately, for me to even think of this LOL!).

Thanks in advance for your posts.
kindly
mike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
kindly,
mike

Reactions: woodsroad

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Try calling Whiteys Old Town Saloon and asking for George Lewis +1 612-623-9478. Explain the situation I'm sure they'll understand.

Reactions: lonestar

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Any thoughts on getting a pipe back from Lewis Pipes and Tobacco in Minneapolis, MN?

I spoke with Rich Lewis in April and sent him a Peter Matzhold bent Sandblasted for repair (broken stem--tenon broken in mortise).

Pipedia says he passed as of June this year (R.I.P.).

I've emailed and called, leaving messages several times. Today when I called, the number at the store is no longer working.

I looked up the details today of his obit and called the funeral home, Washburn & McReavy. They said they would pass on my phone number and concern to the family via phone (they didn't want to email).

Does anyone here know Richard's (Dick's) son Paul or one of his grandsons and might pass on my interest in getting this pipe returned. Sadly, his wife and parents passed before him (R.I.P.). So I'm guessing his son is handling things.

It appears the burial mass is coming up the end of the month but it feels a little creepy to me to contact his priest or cemetary. I would hate any of those folks to say to his son at the interment, ". . .oh, btw--there's this old guy in Texas pestering us about a broken pipe he sent Rich . . . ." (perhaps I've been watching too many "Kolchak" DVD's lately, for me to even think of this LOL!).

Thanks in advance for your posts.
kindly
mike

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
kindly,
mike
You've contacted them several times already. It may take some time to sort out the details of his estate, especially if there was no will or trust or instructions. Give it another month after the burial mass, then reach out again.
Basically you're at the mercy of whoever is handling the estate and you might not be the first thing they have to worry about. Having been the executor of my parents' estate, there was a lot that needed to be addressed legally, even with a well planned and documented estate. So you may have to wait a bit while things get sorted out.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
You guys are great!

@greeneyes - Many thanks! I just spoke to Andy at the bar and he'll send George a text plus he'll see him tonight or tomorrow at the latest to pass on my number and interest in this pipe's return. I'm amazed someone here knows how to reach him! Again--many thanks!!!

@sablebrush52 - as usual, you are quite right! The family (and executor) has lots of other matters to attend to now. Like you, I also have been an executor. I'm happy to wait.

kindly,
mike

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Aside/update -- Natalie from Washburn & McReavy in MN is geat and called me back. From what she found, and with the above posts (thanks guys!), two gents -- both named Richard Lewis passed away. One (with a son named Paul), several years ago, apparently. I'm sure I'll hear from Rich's son, George at, ". . . Whitey's Bar up the street. . . ." (again, thanks @greeneyes). And again, Andy at the bar was very helpful! What a nice bunch of folks!
kindly
mike

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Not much of a coincidence. Rich and I would always cross paths at the local supermarket. He lived in my neighborhood.

Rich has so much material of historical significance, including some he was wanting to put together relating to Ashton pipes (I believe video footage) but he never got around to doing it. I should contact George as well and make sure he knows that anything with historical value ought to be saved.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I just received this email via the contact form on the site.

"I was at Rich Lewis' memorial service last Sunday (8/13) and spoke with George about returning repairs, finished or unfinished, to their owners. The family will be closing out the shop by the end of September and he will be sending the repairs back by that time. I suggested he prepare a brief letter of explanation so that anyone who doesn't understand the situation will. This is not an official statement from the family but I thought I'd pass my understanding of George's intent along to you; I've noticed some questions about this subject while lurking on your site."

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
My mother passed over two years ago, with a will in good order, and I'm still dealing with estate issues.
I commend the OP on their calm demeanor, and am amazed at the rapid drill down responses. Good luck to all involved, and my condolences to the Lewis family.
Ditto

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
My mother passed over two years ago, with a will in good order, and I'm still dealing with estate issues.
I commend the OP on their calm demeanor, and am amazed at the rapid drill down responses. Good luck to all involved, and my condolences to the Lewis family.
I'm in the same boat with my father's estate, only it's been 7 and a half years and he had no will.

For any of you making a will, when you're designating an executor, pick someone that you know will execute the will correctly, but is also someone that you hate, because being an executor, even with a will in place, sucks major ass. If you're named as an executor, I would urge you to pass on taking on the job, especially if your family already sucks hard before the person in question died.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I'm in the same boat with my father's estate, only it's been 7 and a half years and he had no will.

For any of you making a will, when you're designating an executor, pick someone that you know will execute the will correctly, but is also someone that you hate, because being an executor, even with a will in place, sucks major ass. If you're named as an executor, I would urge you to pass on taking on the job.
Wow, that sounds brutal. Is there any end in sight?

I’m the executor for a very good friend of mine, though maybe he doesn’t think much of our friendship since he asked me to do this 😅

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Wow, that sounds brutal. Is there any end in sight?

I’m the executor for a very good friend of mine, though maybe he doesn’t think much of our friendship since he asked me to do this 😅
Maybe. The final calculations are finally done with accounting letters sent out. The attorney has all but two letters back (of five). We're not waiting though. One of the two is likely to come back. When it does, they're going to file a motion with probate court to close the estate and if the other letter doesn't come, she'd have to show up to court if she wanted to contest, and when she doesn't, there would be a default judgement and it can be closed.

Part of what took so long is getting the deed signed to sell the house. Two people holding up the works, one of which is 40-something years old and has no identification, so she can't sign anything that has to be notarized. They've lost and had to have various paperworks resent a dozen times.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

For any of you making a will, when you're designating an executor, pick someone that you know will execute the will correctly, but is also someone that you hate, because being an executor, even with a will in place, sucks major ass. If you're named as an executor, I would urge you to pass on taking on the job, especially if your family already sucks hard before the person in question died.

It’s also a good idea to name backup executors in case your first choice(s) are unable or unwilling to serve.

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Maybe. The final calculations are finally done with accounting letters sent out. The attorney has all but two letters back (of five). We're not waiting though. One of the two is likely to come back. When it does, they're going to file a motion with probate court to close the estate and if the other letter doesn't come, she'd have to show up to court if she wanted to contest, and when she doesn't, there would be a default judgement and it can be closed.

Part of what took so long is getting the deed signed to sell the house. Two people holding up the works, one of which is 40-something years old and has no identification, so she can't sign anything that has to be notarized. They've lost and had to have various paperworks resent a dozen times.
So many nightmare stories, it makes me feel much better about dealing with my Dad's estate in 2010. Knowing the strong wills and emotional makeup of my Sisters and I, I was afraid this would become a shit-show. Thankfully, we were lucky enough to get good advice early on, before my Dad's alcoholic dementia set in. We DID NOT do a will, we set up a family trust. There was no probate, just a distribution of the estate to the beneficiaries.

It did take us 3 years to get through everything, but that was because we didn't have the heart to go through my Mom and Dad's things. But my two sisters and I were very respectful. We sat down and each of us listed things we that were important to us and why. If there was no competing interests, then it was settled. If there was competing interest, we simply each looked at the others reason for wanting whatever it was, and the more powerful reason took it. There were a few things, mostly artwork my Dad had done early in his life, that we couldn't decide who would get it, so we rotate them every three years at Christmas.

I got in a little tax trouble, because I mishandled a dispersement of an annuity my Mom and Dad had, so it took me a couple of years to pay back the IRS for some back taxes.

I strongly recommend having a good estate planner BEFORE you NEED one, using a family trust, and waiting as long as possible before trying to make emotional decisions.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
H
I just received this email via the contact form on the site.

"I was at Rich Lewis' memorial service last Sunday (8/13) and spoke with George about returning repairs, finished or unfinished, to their owners. The family will be closing out the shop by the end of September and he will be sending the repairs back by that time. I suggested he prepare a brief letter of explanation so that anyone who doesn't understand the situation will. This is not an official statement from the family but I thought I'd pass my understanding of George's intent along to you; I've noticed some questions about this subject while lurking on your site."
Has anyone received back their pipes that were sent to Lewis Pipe & Tobacco? I have not received any pipes nor correspondence from the family.