PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
As far as quality goes, they are great smokers. Mine have a few small fills but nothing major.

I have noticed that both of them are very slightly off in their shape. Where the bulldog comes to a point along the bottom is off center, and the 320 is not perfectly round. When it sits flat it leans slightly to the side.

My guess is that is why the two I have did not pass quality control at the Savinelli factory. No biggie at all to me, but I can see how that might annoy some people.

Reactions: UncleRasta

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
New
pi1zkWY.jpg

after time
HVnQmMk.jpg
. I have 3 and all are spot on...

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
Here's mine. In Italy we call them "grezze": unfinished. They all have some defect that prevents them to join Savinelli's main line of production. Those defects are of aesthetic nature so they smoke as well as their more refined counterparts.
savinelli-grezza.jpg
Here's the same pipe after I rusticated and stained it. It's one of my best smoking pipes.
grezza.jpg

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
This came in the mail today...
sav.jpg
... and here's why It's an unfinished Savinelli:
sav2.jpg
Hopefully after a "deep" rustication process and a dark stain it will change for the better ...

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
It's up to you what you choose to do with your pipe. It was released unfinished and intended to be raw. The cool thing about leaving the pipe unfinished is you get to see it colour over time, just from your hand oils. I took my Baraccini 320 KS (raw and unfinished, like a Series III, and almost identical to a Savinelli 320 KS with the exception of its chamber being narrower) out of its box last night and smoked it for the first time:

IMG_20220402_020513.jpg

I just took the photo below a few minutes ago to show you how it has already darkened from handling during my single smoking session:

IMG_20220402_201825.jpg

Reactions: OSOBUCO

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
Guy on eBay from Italy has them pretty regularly. For about $50 per pipe plus $20 shipping, so it’s best to order two or more and save with combined shipping. Mine arrived in two days! That being said, you can get a finished Rossi (sub brand of Savinelli) for $68. But if you like raw briar and don’t mind some fills, the Series 3 are great. The pipe’s draft hole is just as great as any Savinelli.

Reactions: AroEnglish