PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I'm really into raw, unfinished briar pipes and also getting well smoking pipes on the cheap, so the Savinelli Series 3 seem to be the pipes for me. I am pining for a 320 KS and don't want to splurge on a Ghibli or Riccio, the two I want most right now, when I've never even owned an author shape. I just know I want one.

So, where did you get your Series 3? Any non-cosmetic issues? Can I see some with age and patina sil-vous-plait?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The top one is an unfinished Sav. It’s an old one and is only stamped Made in Italy. I think it would be a model 111 today.
D3D99045-F92E-4E9A-ADEC-C29DC06FEBAA.jpeg
A great smoker. It oils up dark and shows some grain. But a water rinse returns it to clean natural Briar.

By all means. You can’t go wrong with a series 3. For you, because you enjoy the look, Win Win.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
They color quite nicely.

18509379-orig.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've had two. The first was maybe my favorite pipe until I broke it. I got a replacement around Christmas and so far so good. The first I bought from my local B&M, and the second from Tobacco Pipes. Bollito Pipes has them for super cheap but the shipping price means it's most cost effective to buy more than one.

This is after 30 smokes or so.

20210208_181413.jpg

Here is the broken one after about 5 years. As you can see, that one had many hideous putty fills that do not color with the rest of the stummell. You takes your chances when the pipes are basically seconds.

16129329318721297835825025607986.jpg

I think they're great!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I bought 1 from the Pipe Nook and my son bought me 2 from Boda Pipes in Greenville, SC. They are some good smoking pipes and will smoke any blend real good. There were no detectible flaws with any of my 3 pipes.
This has been true for me as well. It's kind of stunning how everything seems to perform well in them. I've used mine for strong flakes, VAs, Burleys, Latakia blends, even the occasional Lakeland... They all tasted good in the first Series III and the second one is starting to get there after a real woody tasting break in.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
The Sav Series III pipes are an awesome value. They will color up nice overtime and smoke just as well as my other Savinellis. Stanwell also has an unfinished line called Authentic. Pic below shows my Stanwell Authentic for an example of the coloring/patina you could expect:
View attachment 65238
Thank you! I did not know that Stanwell also has an unfinished line called “Authentic”

This forum is a great source of info! Looking at them now. -Jim

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
The Sav Series III pipes are an awesome value. They will color up nice overtime and smoke just as well as my other Savinellis. Stanwell also has an unfinished line called Authentic. Pic below shows my Stanwell Authentic for an example of the coloring/patina you could expect:
View attachment 65238

My that's a pretty pipe! Looking for one now. Thanks!

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Hey y'all. Thanks for the advice and photos. Only further cemented my desire for a Series III. I love the 320KS and all chubby Authors visually, but have never owned one. I especially adore unfinished pipes.

Well, I ordered my first series III and my first Author just now! A Sav 320 KS, in the discounted section of PipeNook, so thanks for pointing me there everybody. I'm excited.

@donjgiles, that sitting poker you showed definitely made my decision harder. Stanwell has that shape in the unfinished Authentic line, but they are sold out... I considered waiting to pull the trigger, especially since I just got a new Savinelli last week, but... it felt right.

I'll be sure to post a photo when it comes in!

P.S., how are PipeNook about getting orders out?