PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
I'm grateful for this thread as I enjoy port but haven't learning anything about what are some good options. Now, time to do more research!

Reactions: shanez

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Been going down the list of ports available at a local supermarket. Starting with cheapest with label indicating certified port from Portugal. So far 5 bottles. Mostly Sandeman and Graham's. Ruby, Fine Tawny, Fine Ruby, Reserved Ruby. LBV are not available at the supermarket, but we do have wine stores. It seems price start going up with 10 year old. Few more bottles to sample at local place. Six Grapes, 10 yr old tawny both from Graham's. There are small vineyard bottles at rather good prices for vintage ports. Not exactly the best years. '97, '98, and some early 2000. Mail order only.

Reactions: shanez

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We had a British inspired Christmas Eve dinner years ago (only time I've prepared Wellington and it was very tasty) and I splurged on a bottle of Graham 30 year tawny port to have with the plum pudding -- not a spirits and cheese fan. Enjoyed it with some mixed nuts, caramels and Christmas cookies the next day. It was really good and the kind of flavor I'd hoped. Reading this thread has me thinking of having some on hand come Thanksgiving! For me, it would pair perfectly with some pecan pie.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Been going down the list of ports available at a local supermarket. Starting with cheapest with label indicating certified port from Portugal. So far 5 bottles. Mostly Sandeman and Graham's. Ruby, Fine Tawny, Fine Ruby, Reserved Ruby. LBV are not available at the supermarket, but we do have wine stores. It seems price start going up with 10 year old. Few more bottles to sample at local place. Six Grapes, 10 yr old tawny both from Graham's. There are small vineyard bottles at rather good prices for vintage ports. Not exactly the best years. '97, '98, and some early 2000. Mail order only.
Tawny port is a good starting point as bottles can be finished over a couple of weeks, whereas vintage ports and LBVs should be drunk within a couple of days of opening.
10 yr old tawnys are to be had at reasonable prices. The 20 yr olds are my favourites as they still retain quite a bit of their primary fruit, while displaying mature character.
Ready to drink upon purchase.

A vintage is "declared" when the quality of the harvest is very good to excellent.
When the vintage is good, rather than very good, a house may direct their better grapes into a LBV - which gives rise to releases in "undeclared" or lesser vintages.
These LBVs can be excellent value as they contain juice usually reserved for vintage ports. Like their vintage brothers they will mature further if cellared

Ruby ports are younger versions of tawny. So called because more of the primary red colour is still present in the wine.
As port ages, the colouring pigments coalesce, drop out of solution and form sediment. With time this sediment forms a "crust". Crusted port is a term that is still seen occasionally on some bottlings.

You should decant bottles of old(er) ports.

Reactions: ziv and bullet08

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
There's also solera versions which combine very old (small amount) with young (large amount) to produce a unique experience. They're usually pretty good and affordable.

One of my favorite sherry soleras (this stuff could be poured on pancakes or ice cream):

A few months back we finished off a bottle of this over the course of a few weeks. It is very sweet and I had to limit myself to a couple of ounces at a time. A couple of drops in a mid tier bourbon or scotch certainly made for an interesting option.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Quick question for LBV ports - how many weeks can they be stored in the refridgerator once opened?

I am the only one in the house who drinks port, so a bottle lasts a few weekends plus.