PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Haven't had port in an eon - too much would ruin the following day, but moderation.. difficult, it's very tasty.

The Sandeman man in their ads used to spook me as a kid; wine shops back then often had illuminated versions above their premises. Yikes!

Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My favourite wine Australian wine region to visit is Rutherglen where they produce muscats and tokays (NOT the Hungarian variety, but made from muscadelle grapes)
Absolutely world class wines, and worthy of searching out for.

Do try them should you come across a bottle in a wine store.
Great with dessert or cheese.
And with a fine cigar.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't understand much about this, but I found this in my modest cellar. I think I bought it in the north of Portugal. View attachment 333671
Dona Antonia Ferreira was a legend in the port trade. She was widowed at a very early age, but because of her business acumen, the house of Ferreira became one of the leading port houses of its day.

She inherited great wealth, but left an even greater legacy.
A most remarkable woman.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've tried all of the Grahams offerings. Palate favors 20 year old Tawny. 1940 Single Harvest Tawny makes a great treat though when at my favorite dining spot. 20 Year is fine for my nightly glass. Heard great things about The Stone Terraces but, sadly never had an opportunity to try it. I'm loyal to Grahams but, there have been some reports here that I find tempting.

Last edited:

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Washington's Whidbey Island has a nice ruby, aptly named "Whidbey's," which i used to enjoy when i drank sweeter things.

Also used to make my own back in my wine/beer making days. I once made a black currant port ("porto corinto") that i used to trade my cable guy for popping the filter off my service every once in a while, so i could get all the channels for free. Also, a popular one with my cigar buddies at the time was a chocolate orange port i used to make. Other than that, i never was a huge tawny fan and my first mentioned offering is one of the few commercially available ports that i enjoyed rather regularly and is still in production. I'd recommend giving that one a shot. Pairs great with tobacco.
Fun fact: my uncle, Mike Wallace of Hinzerling Vineyards in Prosser, produced the first few vintages of Whidbeys port for them before they ramped up enough production capacity to bring it in-house. When I turned 21 he included a few bottles off his production in the mixed case he gifted me for my birthday. Of course I was too young and dumb to really appreciate what an awesome gift that was at the time. I’ve spent the intervening 29+ years trying to atone for my idiocy.

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I'm a big fan of Tawny's and find them a wonderful pairing to cigars.

Warre's Otima 10 Tawny is a great every day Port and about $25 for a 500 ML. I also like the Taylor Fladgate 10 year old and find it a little better than their 20 year old.

The best Port I ever had was a 1983 Vintage Cockburn's Tawny that I won at benefit auction. That was about 20 years ago and I've never had anything anywhere near that level since. I stick with the Otima!