PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m thinking “if I can’t pronounce it, what chance do I have of brewing it?” ?

Hey, not to deviate from topic, but since we’re talking about tea, do y’all get nauseous if you drink tea on an empty stomach? I always do. Someone tried to tell me it was the caffeine, but I can drink a whole pot of black coffee on an empty stomach and be fine. ?‍♂️
Oh yeah that happens to me too. I've heard it's the tannins in the tea. Who knows but it does happen. And yeah it's not the caffeine because I can drink coffee on an empty stomach too and not get sick.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I’ve become a fan of Pu-erh tea with my pipe. It’s deep and smoky, but if you over brew it it can become bitter. Supposedly has great health benefits too.

Reactions: ChickenT00th

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I'm fortunate to live fairly close to a shop called "Tea Source" which has earned accolades in the tea retail world. It's great to visit and browse before buying, which is impossible via internet, and really similar to being able to walk into a brick-and-mortar tobacconist and browse for whichever tobacco strikes your fancy at the moment. I went in on a whim perhaps a month ago and left with three 2 ounce bags of amazing teas. I'll need to return soon as I've almost run out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like good green tea along with black teas of various kinds. Unfortunately, kidney stones make my tea drinking somewhat minimal, although I still have my morning coffee which is also iffy. I think the caffeine in teas is slightly different, sometimes called telefeine (sp?); the "high" seems gentler and drops you more gently if at all. Green teas have always seemed a little milder but lively, a nice change of pace. The fragrance can be sublime, overstating it a bit.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I’m thinking “if I can’t pronounce it, what chance do I have of brewing it?” ?

Hey, not to deviate from topic, but since we’re talking about tea, do y’all get nauseous if you drink tea on an empty stomach? I always do. Someone tried to tell me it was the caffeine, but I can drink a whole pot of black coffee on an empty stomach and be fine. ?‍♂️
My wife and I both do. I personally think it has to do with all of the tannins in the tea.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
Pretty much love tea however it comes, but Yerba mate is my daily drink of choice
Very cool. I really enjoy Yerba Mate as well but haven't gone outside of Guayaki's offerings, any better brands/types to look into?

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I’ve become a fan of Pu-erh tea with my pipe. It’s deep and smoky, but if you over brew it it can become bitter. Supposedly has great health benefits too.
Pu-erh is so interesting! When I tasted it for the first time, I thought it tasted like a bookshop smells in the best sense of the term (if I'm remembering correctly).

Reactions: kwg116

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I'm fortunate to live fairly close to a shop called "Tea Source" which has earned accolades in the tea retail world. It's great to visit and browse before buying, which is impossible via internet, and really similar to being able to walk into a brick-and-mortar tobacconist and browse for whichever tobacco strikes your fancy at the moment. I went in on a whim perhaps a month ago and left with three 2 ounce bags of amazing teas. I'll need to return soon as I've almost run out.

That's great that you live close to a tea shop like that! It's really interesting how similar pipe tobacco and oolong tea is. Processing of tea is similar in the way that the leaves are picked, fermented, sometimes roasted for flavor, aging, pressed into cakes, etc. And then you have the brewing styles in a gaiwan or Yixing pot - just like the actual pipes to deliver tobaccos. Anyways, I just love it.

ChickenT00th

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2020
I like good green tea along with black teas of various kinds. Unfortunately, kidney stones make my tea drinking somewhat minimal, although I still have my morning coffee which is also iffy. I think the caffeine in teas is slightly different, sometimes called telefeine (sp?); the "high" seems gentler and drops you more gently if at all. Green teas have always seemed a little milder but lively, a nice change of pace. The fragrance can be sublime, overstating it a bit.
Yes! L-theanine I believe? My doctor just told me about L-theanine which is found in black tea and can counteract some of the negatives of caffeine. So instead of a jittery, anxious caffeine buzz (I get that from coffee), the black tea with the L-theanine gives you the boost of caffeine with the calming effects of L-theanine. He actually recommended that I look for an L-theanine supplement, they've been helping me sleep lately.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
As a kid I was brought up on PG Tips; but haven't drunk that for donkeys years now. In the house we have Liptons English Breakfast (my wife drinks this) Earl Grey ( we both drink this) [or Early Grave as it was christened by our office temp in London when she was placing an order for the coffee room] and Lapsang Souchong (my favourite).

As a kid I drank tea with milk (and sugar - yuk!); dropped the sugar in tea and sugar as a teenager and dropped the milk when working in Indonesia (they only had UHT and I can't stand the stuff). Now I can only drink tea without these additives (generally drink espresso coffee but will a few times a year drink a latte or cappuccino - usually followed by a double espresso to get rid of the taste as I remember why I don't drink milk in coffee). Don't get me wrong;I like milk too, just on its own.

Living in Brazil it should come as no surprise that we also drink mate.

Generally only drink green tea when eating out. Not sure why but we've never really drunk it at home although we both like green tea - we used to visit a Chinese tea room in London years ago; had an amazing selection of teas (and dim sum) but it was closed when I was last there two years ago,

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Very cool. I really enjoy Yerba Mate as well but haven't gone outside of Guayaki's offerings, any better brands/types to look into?
I have never heard of Guayaki, let alone Yerba in cans/bottles! I’ve only ever had it loose leaf I guess. I’m old school like a gaucho, have even made some in a plastic cup using a dismantled bic pen as the straw....yeah not to flash. I prefer the stronger and more bitter blends, canarias and rosamonte especial are favourites. Mainly drink Kraus as it’s more affordable in NZ

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
You tea "hobbyists" are deluding yourselves.
Why don't you admit you have a caffeine addiction, instead of calling it a "hobby"? Tea is just another caffeine delivery system.;)
surprisingly I can't get a good buzz off tea - I need my coffee - I'll drink tea from time to time - but a world without java would cause me strife

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
My favorite Oolong is a Dan Cong type from Phoenix Mountain in China. Very fruity, think lychee and peach. There are many types of Oolong that give varied flavors, everything from almonds to orchids. One can spend months just sampling Chinese Oolongs.

ThreeRivers

Lurker
Feb 15, 2020
N Florida
Delving into the world of teas myself lately. Currently drinking a cup of Jasmine pearl tea , that I picked up this morning from the local hippie/ nutrition store. Had to brew it with a makeshift Gaiwan, but it seems to have come out pretty tasty, using the gongfu short steeping method.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Delving into the world of teas myself lately. Currently drinking a cup of Jasmine pearl tea , that I picked up this morning from the local hippie/ nutrition store. Had to brew it with a makeshift Gaiwan, but it seems to have come out pretty tasty, using the gongfu short steeping method.
Yeah, so this post is where I made the realization that I do not possess the knowledge base or the vocabulary to be involved in this thread! ?
What the hell is a Gaiwan? I thought he was one of the knights of the round table ?!
Gongfu? I may have to bow out on this one. Of course, this is coming from the guy that brews his tea in a drip coffee pot, with lots of sugar, and then pours it over ice. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.