PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I well remember having dancing lessons as a child which I thoroughly detested (unless I was paired with the beautiful Julie Gregg, all the boys loved Julie Gregg, the only girl in the class who wore a bra!) and I still squirm as I think back to those days in St. Mary's Church Hall.

And throughout my adulthood I never understood dancing and never had the desire to try it. If ever I was at an event where dancing took place I would sit back and watch folk squirm and writhe about each other and to me it just looked so unnatural.

Don't get me wrong, I get rhythm and all that, I tap my feet or my fingers to the right music but never ever had the desire to make an utter spectacle of myself in trying to imitate those that do.

So fellas, do you dance and if so why?

Regards,

Jay.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Only times I recall dancing was in 6th grade at I dance in which I stole another kids girl and I danced at my wedding. I almost got into Schuhplattler when I was little.

It seems to be a useful talent when a single young man, but now being middle-aged and married feels unnecessary.

I do admit watching old clips of Soul Train is a guilty pleasure. Some of them cats are on another level.

Aug 1, 2012
I can dance. In fact I took a college class in ballroom dance for my PE credit. The interesting part was that the university dance team were all taking that class so I had some competent, and beautiful partners. In the end, I can swing dance, tango, waltz and despite my age I can 2-step and 3-step. Oddly enough, my partners usually enjoy dancing with me and it starts some fun conversations.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went to one of those junior high dance classes and took it seriously, to just not embarrass myself in front of the young girls. No one commended my dancing. I have never quite got the waltz step. I could cha-cha, and jitter bug (and the subsequent ad lib dancing of the sixties) were pretty easy.

My late wife and her parents were expert dancers, so I tried to keep up and my wife and I had some fun with it. I wasn't up to my in-laws but I enjoyed it.

All my hoofing finally came to fruition when my second wife and I took to the dance floor at our wedding reception and people asked if we had taken lessons. My (unspoken) answer was yes, over several decades.

Today my wife has mobility limitations, but I like to do improvised tap dancing for her. I even have the shoes. I can't really get the percussion on beat like real hoofers, but I clatter happily when the mood takes me.

A lot of the old movie stars started as hoofers and could really tap dance, Bob Hope and Jimmy Cagney among them. Sammy Davis Junior was a master. Those guys did more percussion than the band and had all the moves. Fred and Ginger are just fun to watch, whatever step they're doing.

As is said, the only way to dance is as if no one is watching.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
No, that's something I've never learned to do. Which is fine, really, for two reasons. First, I'm not ever sure if there's anywhere around me to go dancing*. The other reason is my father was an engineer, his father was an engineer, his father was a draftsman, but his father was an engineer. So any rhythm a human was ever supposed to have has been bred out of me.

*Dancing as in anything with steps, not the gyrations that take place at nightclubs.