Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
How will we ever survive without the "Nicotine is an addictive chemical " warnings, even though I've never heard of anyone suffering physical withdrawals when they haven't smoked their pipe. Actually the labels should say "Beware-TAD is real" because I am in fact addicted to getting packages in the mail.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
From what I've seen the limited batch tins seem to be exempt from the warning. And some of the imported tobaccos, such as Peterson. But some imports have them, like a Mac Baren tin I recently got. Confusing to me.

That's a good point that it seems to be the limited release tins. I have no idea why that would be or how the hell that would make any sense though - maybe it's taking advantage of some kind of loop-hole. But I had noticed it with the tins for The Haunting (the C&D blend done with Warped cigars), and also C&Ds two Christmas blends, Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose, and Golden Days of Yore. All three are "limited," and have pretty nicely designed tin art and none of them have big warnings. I've known both musical artists and the people who do the artwork for them to put pressure on Amazon and other retailers or industry people to give them flexibility where they have to put bar codes, so as not to detract from the nice package they've put so much work into. I'm fairly good friends with an artist whose done artwork for bands such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and he gets involved in that stuff sometimes. So that's quite likely what's going on here.

But, I'm a new pipesmoker, and not up on all this. When did they START putting the big warnings on tobacco packaging? I didn't know it was a recent change. I do appreciate the artwork sometimes, so I sort of care about this. I also have a young son (11), and I don't really like those warnings to be what I see if I have a tin of Golden Days of Yore, for example (although I don't actually care for that tobacco - I learned right away to steer clear of almost all aromatics. They're just not for me, the same way I can't stand flavored coffee.

On the other hand, my wife smokes cigarettes (right now), and I basically feel the warnings on those packages are appropriate. Both of my parents were big smokers for much of their lives; they both kicked the habit at a certain point, but they both died of cancer. I'm the only member of my family never to have smoked cigarettes, though probably was exposed to enough second-hand smoke to amount to being a moderate smoker!

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Well, I guess those of us in the U.S. should be thankful we don’t have any of the horrible graphic warning labels that you see in the EU. . .

Imagine digging into your cellar and deciding if you want to smoke what is in the package that has a black lung on it, or the package that shows mouth and throat cancer on it!!!
They should put those types of warnings on other dangerous/vice products like alcohol. Maybe a picture of Ted Kennedy’s car floating in a lake. Maybe a picture of a guy in bed sleeping naked next to a ham planet.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
People just hate them in silence. - Just wonderful!!
Let’s do something to change this! As a Californian, I’ll start. After all, everyone knows that all Texans are uh, well, maybe some, hmm. Actually, those Texans I know are great people, darn it!

Guess I’ll just have to give up on generalizing about an entire state and just prejudge people on an individual basis!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
That's a good point that it seems to be the limited release tins. I have no idea why that would be or how the hell that would make any sense though - maybe it's taking advantage of some kind of loop-hole. But I had noticed it with the tins for The Haunting (the C&D blend done with Warped cigars), and also C&Ds two Christmas blends, Corn Cob Pipe and a Button Nose, and Golden Days of Yore. All three are "limited," and have pretty nicely designed tin art and none of them have big warnings. I've known both musical artists and the people who do the artwork for them to put pressure on Amazon and other retailers or industry people to give them flexibility where they have to put bar codes, so as not to detract from the nice package they've put so much work into. I'm fairly good friends with an artist whose done artwork for bands such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and he gets involved in that stuff sometimes. So that's quite likely what's going on here.

But, I'm a new pipesmoker, and not up on all this. When did they START putting the big warnings on tobacco packaging? I didn't know it was a recent change. I do appreciate the artwork sometimes, so I sort of care about this. I also have a young son (11), and I don't really like those warnings to be what I see if I have a tin of Golden Days of Yore, for example (although I don't actually care for that tobacco - I learned right away to steer clear of almost all aromatics. They're just not for me, the same way I can't stand flavored coffee.

On the other hand, my wife smokes cigarettes (right now), and I basically feel the warnings on those packages are appropriate. Both of my parents were big smokers for much of their lives; they both kicked the habit at a certain point, but they both died of cancer. I'm the only member of my family never to have smoked cigarettes, though probably was exposed to enough second-hand smoke to amount to being a moderate smoker!

On one hand, I keep telling myself that we smoke pipe tobacco, not packaging, so what's on the packages (warning labels and all) does not matter. On the other hand, like many of us, I appreciate good tin art and feel like it adds a little something extra to the experience. Of course that art is ruined by the "nicotine is an addictive chemical" warnings and so on. IMO, that is really the purpose of those warnings - to intentionally ruin the tin art and make it ugly.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
On one hand, I keep telling myself that we smoke pipe tobacco, not packaging, so what's on the packages (warning labels and all) does not matter. On the other hand, like many of us, I appreciate good tin art and feel like it adds a little something extra to the experience. Of course that art is ruined by the "nicotine is an addictive chemical" warnings and so on. IMO, that is really the purpose of those warnings - to intentionally ruin the tin art and make it ugly.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY

You're right - it's a slap on the wrist. I understand the reasons for it, but I don't think there are that many people who unthinkingly take up the pipe without wondering if there are any risks.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
My wife wants to stop smoking cigarettes (she had stopped for a long time, then Covid happened), so I had to order her these Nicotine toothpicks that are supposed to help. Even THEY have a nicotine warning!

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I'm still not sure about what's going on. Today I got a a 100g tin of Orlik Golden Sliced with a date code of July 10, 2020 and it does not have the nicotine warning; the label on front is the old style. My slightly older tins from Orlik have the warning, including one from July of 2018.

I see the Captain Black 12 oz cans still have the warning. But from what I can tell E. Hoffman tobacco blends Distinguished Gentleman and Spilman Mixture never had the warning.

It would be great if they got rid of the stupid things. I can honestly say there's nothing addictive about pipe tobacco. If they wanted to be helpful, they would print nicotine levels on the back label, and let customers decide for themselves.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
It would be great if they got rid of the stupid things. I can honestly say there's nothing addictive about pipe tobacco. If they wanted to be helpful, they would print nicotine levels on the back label, and let customers decide for themselves.
Couldn't agree more, on all accounts. One of my favorite things to do is go into a B&M and look at the mosaic of lovely tin art on the shelves. Of course they would find a way to completely ruin that too. And so hypocritically selective, to boot! You'd never see a bottle of Grey Goose with a big ugly, "WARNING: THIS PRODUCT WILL TURN YOU INTO THE SAME ASSHOLE YOUR FATHER WAS!" on it, right?

Ugh...did I totally just give them an idea right now? No way I'm taking the blame for it if I did. I blame the vodka and the Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.