PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Several months ago a US federal judge ruled that the FDA requirement of warning labels on cigars was unconstitutional since they had no valid reason to require them (I'm paraphrasing and may be a bit off).

Has anyone heard if this will apply to pipe tobacco? Can we look forward to normal labels again? I don't smoke cigars; have they stopped putting the warning labels on them yet?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
doesn't make a difference to me. That said I'll be pissed if snus stops having those stickers that say this product can cause tooth loss and gum disease or this product is not a safe alternative to smoking. I like putting those stickers on other things to make a point. Oh you're going to ride your bicycle? Well you should know it's not a safe alternative to smoking it's got the sticker. The tooth loss ones are great to put on things like crowbars, that one actually got a laugh and an utterance of yeah that's true.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always valued the tin and other packaging art on blends, and find the huge type and grim messaging of the warnings a downer. I guess the public health community sees no merit in moderate use of tobacco of any kind. That issue seems settled. The Granger pointer dog is an absolute classic in packaging art for any product.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Cringle flake 2020 didn’t have the giant warning label just the standard ca prop warning
From what I've seen the limited batch tins seem to be exempt from the warning. And some of the imported tobaccos, such as Peterson. But some imports have them, like a Mac Baren tin I recently got. Confusing to me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
From what I've seen the limited batch tins seem to be exempt from the warning. And some of the imported tobaccos, such as Peterson. But some imports have them, like a Mac Baren tin I recently got. Confusing to me.
probably something to do with how it's sold. Not sitting on a shelf somewhere or maybe they can get away with it in that situation. Who knows laws are weird especially when you look at how they're actually applied.

Reactions: homesteader

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Well, I guess those of us in the U.S. should be thankful we don’t have any of the horrible graphic warning labels that you see in the EU. . .

Imagine digging into your cellar and deciding if you want to smoke what is in the package that has a black lung on it, or the package that shows mouth and throat cancer on it!!!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Which may account for why your state has a considerably higher rate of cancer than mine. Enjoy!
My motorcycle cover had that ridiculous warning on it. That makes no sense. Fifty nine percent of the cancer cases here were due to tobacco use and NC being a tobacco state our numbers are high, I get that. Look at it like this, the way the warning is worded makes it seem like only Cali is affected. I wasn't in any way saying my state is better than any other, just pointing out how the warning can be percieved.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I know it doesn’t affect the tobacco, and yeah, I usually throw the tins away, but I’m glad the huge warnings are gone!
I love seeing the tin art on old vintage tins. No one fifty years from now will appreciate the appearance of tins with all those damn warnings plastered all over them. Plus, any little win we get against the anti-tobacco legislators and lobbyists is a victory to be celebrated, or at least appreciated.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My motorcycle cover had that ridiculous warning on it. That makes no sense. Fifty nine percent of the cancer cases here were due to tobacco use and NC being a tobacco state our numbers are high, I get that. Look at it like this, the way the warning is worded makes it seem like only Cali is affected. I wasn't in any way saying my state is better than any other, just pointing out how the warning can be percieved.
Fair enough. Mostly these warnings have to do with the vendor protecting itself from liability suits.

People love to hate California, but it's not fair. We're only the third most hated state in the US. Texas is the second most hated state in the US and New Jersey takes top honors. But do you see people beating up on Texas and New Jersey? No. They get a pass. People just hate them in silence.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Fair enough. Mostly these warnings have to do with the vendor protecting itself from liability suits.

People love to hate California, but it's not fair. We're only the third most hated state in the US. Texas is the second most hated state in the US and New Jersey takes top honors. But do you see people beating up on Texas and New Jersey? No. They get a pass. People just hate them in silence.
We are all Americans. I get how you feel though, there are some pretty nasty perceptions about those of us in the southeast.

Status
Not open for further replies.