PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Heck, you can find bumperstickers, mugs, hats, and even pipes that announce membership publicly."

And therein lies the difference twixt British Freemasons and American Freemasons ?

Regards,

Jay.?

Aug 1, 2012
Interestingly enough, in a recent estate sale I saw a box of Masonic pamphlets that spoke about the Illuminati...I love the little things like that which stoke my conspiracy theory tendencies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
And therein lies the difference twixt British Freemasons and American Freemasons
They seem secretive with the rituals in America, but a couple of decades ago, one of the secret rituals made the news out of Detroit.

During initiation, a prospective member was blindfolded.

Then someone shot him in the face.

The official explanation was that someone was to stand beside him with a balloon and pop it when the gun went off. Someone forgot to load the blanks.

The mystery to me was why you would even need a balloon to make a pop. Blanks still make a hell of a racket. At least enough to piss yourself if you're blindfolded, I'd say.

It seemed fishy, but that was their reason and they stuck to it. I suspect the guy just made it farther along in the process than anyone thought he would and they only had one option left to them.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to hang around with Shriners when I was in high school. No, I wasn't a burn victim. They were one of the local pipe bands and I decided to join them rather than the other band. Beers were free flowing, and the members were very nice folks. Most of them were veterans. Anywhere from WWII to Vietnam. It was fun hanging out with them. They always had good war stories, and beer.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Used to hang around with Shriners when I was in high school. No, I wasn't a burn victim. They were one of the local pipe bands and I decided to join them rather than the other band. Beers were free flowing, and the members were very nice folks. Most of them were veterans. Anywhere from WWII to Vietnam. It was fun hanging out with them. They always had good war stories, and beer.
Total sidetrack, I love bagpipes. Not sure why, I just do. I really like the Spanish piper Jose Angel Hevia. Cool music that comes from the Basque region. It like Celtic music with Spanish and Moorish or Arabic sounding influences.

Aug 1, 2012
Total sidetrack, I love bagpipes. Not sure why, I just do. I really like the Spanish piper Jose Angel Hevia. Cool music that comes from the Basque region. It like Celtic music with Spanish and Moorish or Arabic sounding influences.
That's an awesome musical connection that people like me love. There are a lot of close connections all around Europe with the bagpipes. Another fun connection is the accordion/bayan/concertina.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Highland pipes are rather limited. Can only play 8 notes. But other types of pipes can have much broader range of notes. Some even has key on the chanter, note playing part of the pipes. I love all pipes, but highland pipes was the one I played. Something about the sound of highland pipes that I really love. And there is no feeling like being in a mass band with hundred of pipers playing same tunes, well.. almost same tunes.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Masons certainly have an "interesting" history.

Never one to seek ritual male-bonding, or tribal camaraderie, a lapse of good judgement once led me to join a local rifle and pistol club. I enjoyed shooting, and I took the NRA course and became the club's Range Officer. If you want to see a bunch of genuine, arrested-development, male idiots....become a Range Officer. What a mistake. That cured me from joining anything else that resembled a club, fraternity, or political group.

Besides, I'd never join any club that would want me as a member.

Reggie

Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
It felt like I was "some sort" of Mason when I was married. However, I quite quickly learned I was neither Free nor Accepted by The Grand Sovereign Screaming Whirling Dervish of the Hell-Fire Kitchen; and the membership dues were financially injurious; as were the many oaths forced out of me under extreme duress; along with the unending honey-do obligations.

The only illumination I received from any of the many long and repeatative lectures I was subject to as a member of that particular lodge was that I would never progress in my Masonic education past the 2nd Degree of Slackazz of the Comfy Recliner; because the Candidate-in-Tow - being me - was constantly being subject to the never-ending Ritual of The Third Degree.

In my case it was better for me to become a traveling man, seeking the silence of The Shed Workshop of the West Backyard - with pipe and tabak in hand, and faithful dog by my side - rather than seek the confounding "light" being offered inside the Lodge of Utter & Perpetual Irritation; presided over by "SHE, of the Horrible and Uneffiable Name".

Eventually - and thankfully - I Black-Balled myself from membership... which was an upgrade for the years of them being the color Blue. :eek:

So Mote It Be ! - Sherm Natman
LOVE IT! SMIB

Reactions: shermnatman

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Not a Mason, but am in Knights of Columbus (mentioned earlier in the thread; the vibrant, down-market Catholic alternative!).

Have not participated in any secret Papal plots (yet), but it is the only social forum I've found that allows me to eat, drink, and play grab-ass with Bridesmaids at weddings all while wearing a cape and sword. So that's something neat. Pre-Covid we had free pancake Sunday brunches where we'd smoke cigars/pipes after. Raffles/fund-raisers for local community support centers or parishes the usual 'club business'. No Templar style World domination plots yet, but hope springs eternal.

Status
Not open for further replies.