PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My grandfather was Grand Chaplain for the state of Iowa.
hey my Grandfather was something in there once. I forget as I basically found out when he passed and doing that fun let's go through his junk now. Though the local branch has gone down hill. From back in the day going yeah I can see why some people think you guys rule the world, where now it's I don't think these guys could organize a picnic. Which is a comment on one thing, the lodges here. Oh yeah and it's not a good secret society when half the guys have nothing to brag about in their life except their club to the point where there aren't even any beans left to spill.
Oh yeah that reminds me of a silly joke too. Of course mason jars are hermetically sealed.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I was in a Masonic Fraternity in College, and was involved for a brief time afterwards. But, my heart just wasn't in it for long. There was just so much hypocrisy. I know, I know, hypocrisy is everywhere, but as I said, my heart just wasn't in it.
Sure everyone is a hypocrite but some mofos act like it's an olympic event and they're going for gold.

Freemasonry is like Fight Club.......

"Freemasonry, the teachings and practices of the secret fraternal (men-only) order of Free and Accepted Masons, the largest worldwide secret society. "
There are no rules saying that Masons have to keep their membership secret. Heck, you can find bumperstickers, mugs, hats, and even pipes that announce membership publicly. And, there’s really nothing keeping anything secret, except rituals, and that is because it’s really impossible to discuss, because the nature of a ritual is to communicate something that cannot be communicated any other way. It’s like asking what does a tree mean? It means so many different things to each individual that it would be a lie to just tell someone what it means to them.
I have always been told that if you want to know something about Masons ask one. Hell, some of the talkiest people I know are Masons, ha ha! I wouldn’t ask them, because they would bore me to death with information.

But, find an active Mason and ask them... if you have time, ha ha!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
There are no rules saying that Masons have to keep their membership secret. Heck, you can find bumperstickers, mugs, hats, and even pipes that announce membership publicly. And, there’s really nothing keeping anything secret, except rituals, and that is because it’s really impossible to discuss, because the nature of a ritual is to communicate something that cannot be communicated any other way. It’s like asking what does a tree mean? It means so many different things to each individual that it would be a lie to just tell someone what it means to them.
I have always been told that if you want to know something about Masons ask one. Hell, some of the talkiest people I know are Masons, ha ha! I wouldn’t ask them, because they would bore me to death with information.

But, find an active Mason and ask them... if you have time, ha ha!
yeah I've heard Masons say the society is not secret, but the society has secrets. I guess that says the same thing.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I knew a kid named Mason Wilkinson who burned down a significant patch of woods in the town I grew up in while he was out there playing with a propane torch he stole from the hardware store. He also ate birdseed and had a speech impediment that made him sound like a Bostonian, and his mother had the most significant female mustache I’ve ever seen. He once invited me over to “see his goats and shit” but I declined. Elementary school was wild, man.

Oh. Freemason. Nope, I’m not one of those.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
It felt like I was "some sort" of Mason when I was married. However, I quite quickly learned I was neither Free nor Accepted by The Grand Sovereign Screaming Whirling Dervish of the Hell-Fire Kitchen; and the membership dues were financially injurious; as were the many oaths forced out of me under extreme duress; along with the unending honey-do obligations.

The only illumination I received from any of the many long and repeatative lectures I was subject to as a member of that particular lodge was that I would never progress in my Masonic education past the 2nd Degree of Slackazz of the Comfy Recliner; because the Candidate-in-Tow - being me - was constantly being subject to the never-ending Ritual of The Third Degree.

In my case it was better for me to become a traveling man, seeking the silence of The Shed Workshop of the West Backyard - with pipe and tabak in hand, and faithful dog by my side - rather than seek the confounding "light" being offered inside the Lodge of Utter & Perpetual Irritation; presided over by "SHE, of the Horrible and Uneffiable Name".

Eventually - and thankfully - I Black-Balled myself from membership... which was an upgrade for the years of them being the color Blue. :eek:

So Mote It Be ! - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The grand old man and longtime minister of the church I attended in childhood was a Mason, and my dad went to his service, which was at the Masonic Temple rather than the church. It was quite elaborate and ceremonial, but that was back in the 1950's. It was/is one of the organizations that provided some male bonding for people in a highly mobilized society where you didn't stay in touch with your childhood or later school friends. The Roman Catholics competed by founding the Knights of Columbus based on the same social need. As a non-joiner, I have never been drawn to Masonry, and I doubt I'd be good at memorizing all of the required oaths and ceremonial language. Oddly, apparently some of that is based on Islamic culture, which in retrospect is interesting. For veterans, military service provides the basis for similar organizations, but based on military service. In small towns, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, often both organizations, were central to the community.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
The grand old man and longtime minister of the church I attended in childhood was a Mason, and my dad went to his service, which was at the Masonic Temple rather than the church. It was quite elaborate and ceremonial, but that was back in the 1950's. It was/is one of the organizations that provided some male bonding for people in a highly mobilized society where you didn't stay in touch with your childhood or later school friends. The Roman Catholics competed by founding the Knights of Columbus based on the same social need. As a non-joiner, I have never been drawn to Masonry, and I doubt I'd be good at memorizing all of the required oaths and ceremonial language. Oddly, apparently some of that is based on Islamic culture, which in retrospect is interesting. For veterans, military service provides the basis for similar organizations, but based on military service. In small towns, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars, often both organizations, were central to the community.
nicely put - and interesting that services were conducted in the Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.