PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm currently sitting in my deer stand in a brisk 45 degrees waiting for a future dinner guest to walk by. Surfing this site has become a new favorite while sitting in said stand. I did sit on my back porch last night smoking my pipe and watching some doe graze in my back yard. I was amazed that they didn't seem bothered by my pipe. Maybe after I tag one I'll do a little experiment while in the woods, if I could hunt and smoke a pipe...
Anyhow I just thought I'd see which of my fellow pipe smokers also share in my other hobby.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
texmexpipe:
Upland birds (pheasant, grouse, et al) are my quarry of choice. To my way of thinking there are few things finer than watching bird-dogs work out the puzzles of scent; you can almost see the gears turning in their heads!

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I hear you there! A very good friend of mine has a Britney and it is absolute amazing to hunt over that dog. Also a pipe in the field is entirely possible there too. My favorite bird hunting is dove, and they also happen to be some of the tastiest too.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Avid duck hunter here. And turkey. Used to love to quail hunt but there's not many quail around here anymore.
I go on a guided elk hunt with a group every other year (it's expensive). Don't rifle hunt for deer anymore but try and get out a couple of times during bow season. The deer around here have been in pretty bad shape for several years now, full of diseases and covered in ticks. The herds definitely need to be thinned out a bit.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
Traditional bowhunter here. I'm a longbowman, as my screen name says. I make my own arrows literally from scratch. I mostly hunt cottontail rabbits and jackrabbits and eat both. Year round season and generous bag limits, it can't be beat. Some years back when cash was scarce, I was using my Remington 870 12 gauge with long-tom barrel to stay in meat. I did the math and had it all figured out. After the hunting license which I already had, the gas, and the shotgun shell, this meat was costing me about a nickel a pound. I'd bag about 2 or 3 cottontails and at least 5 jackrabbits. Now, people say you can't eat jackrabbits but that isn't true. I could get four meals out of one jackrabbit. Shoot, a raccoon can make a few fine meals if you know how to fix that rascal right.
But those jackrabbits, man, that's a fine time! They're fast, but they can't outrun a shotgun shell or an arrow. Nice thing about using a bow is I can reuse that arrow and that cuts my cost-per-pound of meat down a lot. I fill a plastic bag with just the hearts and livers and make a meal out of those alone. People say, "Ain't that meat tough?" No, y'all ain't cookin' it right. Gotta jug that joker, that's how it's done. Jugged Hare is the recipe name and you can find it all over the net. More meat on a jackrabbit than a cottontail, too.
Where I hunt those jackrabbits and cottontails, there's a deep canyon. I drop down into the bottom and pick wild grapes and black walnuts that grow in the bottom. Then come right back up and by then the rabbits have forgotten about me. So I get a few more. Come away with dinner and dessert for a week or more.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
Small game/birds used to occupy a lot of my time, but since the farms around here have all gone belly up the population has dwindled to the point I won't take one. A fond memory or two passes through my mind when I hear the rare flush.

I've been hunting deer for 45 years. Shotgun, bow, black powder (rifle and pistol). A couple years ago our state legalized rifle hunting and I've taken to that like a duck to water. It's nice to be able to reach out if the opportunity is available.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter,
LOL! I know they can disappear! I've called in big Tom's from long distances only to have them become suspicious, step behind a big Oak, then literally disappear! I've also called them in to where they get real close and just quit answering the call before you even see them. You don't dare move and are just left to wonder where they went!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Longbowman,
Lots of Pronghorn out your way. Ever hunt them with your longbow? They are quick!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm a deer hunter mostly, but I'm usually too picky I get archery and black powder tags every year and usually end up settling on a nice fat doe in rifle season. So far I have yet to take a deer with a bow; though not for lack of trying. Missouri lets you hunt turkey with your archery tags though so I get twice as many trips out of it... Not too shabby. I may take up hog hunting in the near future; they're creeping further north every year and you can hunt them year round.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Went for moose a few weeks ago and just got a couple of coolers of steaks, roasts, and a pile of ground meat to fill the freezer last night. Had a great time and I bagged a cow and the FatherinLaw got a big calf. Looking forward to going after coyotes soon as the snow starts to fly.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Lol Was a short time. The zone I was draw for was 3hrs from home and the whole season was 42hrs from leaving til I got home and that included the hunt, the shot, skinned, and dropped at the processors, and celebration drinks after. Short and sweet.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
Johnnyreb, never hunted antelope with my bow. But, man, one time hunting rabbit, one popped up his head from behind a juniper only 10 feet away. Scared the crap out of me---didn't expect that! On the dirt road out there, there were a couple running alongside the road. I clocked them at 30 MPH.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I hunted for many years. First in Texas, then in Virginia. Never took to stand hunting deer, or with dogs as is done in Va.

Too much like target shooting. I liked to still hunt, but in some areas that's just not possible anymore. After a back injury, I switched to bird hunting with a pretty little female Llewellyn setter. That and squirrel hunting. After she passed away I sort of lost interest in hunting. Can't bring myself to kill anything anymore. But I still support hunting for others.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Max I agree with you. Sidelined by a back injury but still get out here in NYS. If I shoot a deer it's going to be that trophy 3/4 of the fun is scouting not a stand person, heights don't do it for me. Nice to get out in the fresh snow and track some hares, flush them out of a Briar patch. NO PUN! Squirrel is a favorite of mine, if prepared right. I just basically like to be outside just the quiet and crisp air does it for me.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Upland hunter here. In fact Saturday will be the first time I have ever hunted with my own dog. Here he is after a walk with my wife. Hopefully he has a nose!

Status
Not open for further replies.