Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Longbowman,
Had the opportunity to photograph Pronghorn over several days one time. They would come down out of the Buttes just before dark to drink. When coming in they would slowly approach the last 100 yards or so. We would set up in a blind on the opposite side of the creek. Once they drank they would turn and run like the wind up into the lower Buttes. Once it was dark they would come down onto the plains to feed in the dark.
Wonder how far you would have to lead one for a shot with a bow to have a chance?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm primarily a small game hunter, when I have the time for it.

I never was very successful at big game hunting, though I've tried every form of it I can in Tennessee.

The only big game animal I ever killed, that didn't involve a truck, lol, was a bear, and that was a self defense situation.
Nowadays I mostly enjoy hunting dove, squirrel, rabbit, quail, and crow.

My favorite hunting has always been duck and goose, but unfortunately I never have the time to devote to it anymore.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
AC8BCD61-8DE0-48A3-91C1-54940D798D44-4809-0000098B53FDDE4D_zpse5365a09.jpg
. Son got this one , we"re getting a lot if them, massive crop damage. I"m too old an not agile enough , letting son take care of it.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
In my younger days, I pursued ducks and geese up and down the Mississippi Flyway. Now, I just stick closer to home.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
"The only big game animal I ever killed, that didn't involve a truck, lol, was a bear, and that was a self defense situation."
Petes03,
I'd like to hear more about the bear if you care to elaborate. Did you kill it with a rifle or a hand gun? Did you get to keep it and get a mount out of it?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Bradley,
I went on a group hog hunt one time, SE out of Palestine, TX. I've seen the devistation to property they can do first hand. Unfortunately with the rate they reproduce I'm not sure they can be stopped. But they can be pretty good eating!
Saint007,
Good looking Labrador, and some fat birds! I love hunting pics like that! Makes for great memories of days in the great outdoors.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Hogs have been spotted up here as well. Hoping to go after a few this winter as the deep snow makes it harder for them to run.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Love that dog! I really want a German Short Hair, I used to have a English Setter.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Whitetail, Mulies, Turkey, Dove, Quail , Hogs and coyotes and I try to go elk hunting every other year or so depending on finances.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@johnnyreb. I don't mind telling.
I was still living with my parents at the time, in our old neighborhood, which was mostly family.

From time to time, we would have some bears hang around.

We'd been having several hanging around for about a week, 3 males and a big female with 2 cubs who had shown some aggression.

Well, we'd all been carrying our guns when we'd go outside, and the Game Wardens had been making patrols several times a day, as well as setting traps.
I said all that to say this, I had just walked behind my grandparents house one evening, and there he was.

It was one of the males at about 40ft from me with his head in a big bag of trash!

I froze, and started to back away as he still hadn't seen me yet.

About that time, he pulled his head out and stood on his hind legs looking in my direction.
I made some "go away" noises, but started to unholster my .44 mag at the same time.

Well, he decided to come after me.

By the time I got my gun up, he was at about the 15ft mark.... Pretty damn fast!
I fired one shot, he stopped in his tracks, turned and ran.

At first I thought I had missed, but was glad he was running away!

Then he fell over about 40yds away from me.

He started trying to get back up, so I started shooting again, emptying my gun.
We called the Game Warden, and waited on him.

By this time, it's dark outside.

He got there, we loaded him into his truck, and we filled out the report.

The bear was a bloody mess, but we went looking for bullet holes, and found 4.

The first shot had hit him dead center in the chest, and came out beside his spine.

The rest were in the legs and sides.
Needless to say, my knees where still knocking by the time the Game Warden left!

It was an evening I'll never forget, that's for sure!
As for getting to keep it, I wanted to, but the GW said he had to take it.

I just didn't want it to go to waste.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
At that age I would have gone straight home to change my shorts! Was it a brown bear then? Too bad he was all shot up. I've heard in such situations that the Conservation Dept will usually claim the animal, but will usually give you it's claws or something after they are through taking measurements. It would be neat to have something of the animal from this experience. I have a Colt Anaconda .44 Mag but I can't even imagine how shakey I would be lifting it up under such circumstances!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Hah! I was pretty shaky, but I was actually about 22 at the time. I had to move back in with my parents for a while, and it was during that time.

And no, it was a black bear. It's unusual for a black bear to be that aggressive, but it does happen from time to time.

Actually, around the same time (give or take a year or two) there was a fatal attack not 25 miles from my house in the Ocoee Mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.