Any Hotels Allow Smoking......ANYWHERE ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
My wife has certain relations who are insufferable, and she has recently sanctioned a total escape when they are coming. Is there any hotel anywhere in the U.S. or England or France that will still allow smoking, even on a porch or veranda ? Or Mexico maybe ? Assuming someday Covid 19 disappears, miraculously ;)

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Most of the hotels in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee allow smoking on the premises. I stayed at one Hampton Inn in Alabama that was a non-smoking hotel and asked if there was a smoking area and the manager said they allowed smoking by the pool and on the patio area. I've found one or two that still specifically offer smoking or non-smoking rooms.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS
Jun 9, 2018
England
My wife has certain relations who are insufferable, and she has recently sanctioned a total escape when they are coming. Is there any hotel anywhere in the U.S. or England or France that will still allow smoking, even on a porch or veranda ? Or Mexico maybe ? Assuming someday Covid 19 disappears, miraculously ;)

In England we have the smoking ban law, so there'll be no puffing indoors that's for sure. I don't know how Airbnb work, maybe some of them allow it?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No recent travel experience, even before the virus, but when we were traveling, it was common in big chain hotels and some others to have outdoor areas that were provided with chairs, shelter from rain, landscaped surroundings, ashtrays free standing or on tables, etc. It seemed like other places, though they provided no amenities, were perfectly fine with smoking outdoors, sitting on a wall or bench, or strolling the grounds. If they've become more restrictive, I don't know, but it seems like a logical accommodation to the public, some of whom smoke.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I haven't been able to find a decent hotel in Birmingham, AL or Raleigh, NC while traveling there in the past couple of years. I started using Air BnB's that have an outside deck where I can smoke. I ask permission upfront when inquiring about the property. Problem with Air BnB's is they're not very cost effective for a one night stay, sometimes even two nights, due to the cleaning fee that gets attached. Even in Birmingham, smoking on a deck is no treat in Dec through March. I find it more productive to find a cigar shop or smoking lounge in the vicinity to hang out at.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I live in Texas and I've never had any problems smoking outside any hotels, some do have a smoking area set aside but if no one is outside or it doesn't bother anyone it's all good.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
We stayed in a smoking room in Wall, SD near the badlands. I thought it would be cool to pipe in there. The room smelled like burnt grandma ass or the inside of a 45 year old bar. It was horrible and even bothered me. My wife was beyond unhappy about it.

last smoking room I’ll ever get.

so I think @hoosierpipeguy ‘s idea of finding a cigar lounge or other area to smoke is a better idea. Unless the stale smell of 40 years of cigs and tar stains all over everything doesn’t bother you. Or having the shittiest room in the place because it’s the “smoking” room.

if where you are traveling has good weather it shouldn’t matter anyways as you can just smoke outside.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Last time i was visiting Sankt Petersburg Russia I went to have me a cup of tea in fancy Hotel Europeiskaya in the city center and they had wonderful cigar-smoking lounge there with all those leather chairs, ventilation and newspapers, of course, never I would have enough money to afford to stay there overnight,,

Reactions: BROBS and Casual
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Most cities in Alabama allow smoking hotel rooms, some do not. Not much of vacation destination though. I'm sure this is going away quickly. I was fined 200 bucks last year for smoking at the door of a hotel room in Arizona. I was so pissed, I'll never drive through that state again. I don't care if I have to drive hours out of the way.

When I was in Europe in 05 you could smoke everywhere.. I've heard that has changed, that was a long time ago.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Most cities in Alabama allow smoking hotel rooms, some do not. Not much of vacation destination though. I'm sure this is going away quickly. I was fined 200 bucks last year for smoking at the door of a hotel room in Arizona. I was so pissed, I'll never drive through that state again. I don't care if I have to drive hours out of the way.

When I was in Europe in 05 you could smoke everywhere.. I've heard that has changed, that was a long time ago.

Find a decent hotel in Birmingham that does. I haven't been able to in quite some time. In many if not most cases, it is the hotel or Hotel Corporate that has decided to ban smoking and has nothing to do with local ordinances. In a way, I can't blame them, it is likely a sound financial decision. If I owned a hotel, I think I'd make the rooms non smoking but provide a well ventilated smoking area.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
When I moved to town I stayed at an Airbnb which turned out to be more of a halfway house with transients and unpleasant drug users, so my work put me up at a run down Holiday Inn, or perhaps a Days Inn, for a month. The smell of marijuana smoke in the hallways was constant and I'm fairly sure families were living there and perhaps even a prostitution ring or two operating. Anyway, there were smoking rooms for an extra fee. They're all funky and well-worn but it's an option if you're not sensitive to that type of environment.

Reactions: jpmcwjr