PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I played ice hockey growing up in upstate NY and played for my HS Varsity team, but that was the last time I played. I played goalie and my parents still have all my equipment. Watching the playoffs I've really been getting the itch to play again, even dreaming about it lol when I move to AZ they have a few different adult leagues and open hockey so I'm gonna make an effort to get back into it. Just wondering what other members here might play?

blade

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
Played goalie, as well. Mostly roller hockey, but some ice. Haven't strapped on the pads in about 25+ years. When I moved to Staten Island about 15 years ago, they had a Adult Roller league. I was so tempted to play again, but equipment prices and my body prevented me from playing again. I still miss playing.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Yep, played against Eric Lindros in Ontario just before he played for the Oshawa Generals. Played AAA hockey here and some junior hockey in Ontario. I got invited to a Team Canada under 17 camp, but didn't make it. I had a scholarship offer to Michigan State and to University of Windsor, but I walked away from the game, I was just plain burnt out. I've played men's league hockey for the last 15 years until my knees just couldn't handle it anymore this winter. I've never regretted anything more than walking away from the scholarships. Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I played up through high school. After that I played in a few beer leagues. I haven't played in about 8 years.
Right Defense. You dig at my goalie and I put you on your back.
I still root for the Red Wings but I've really drifted from pro hockey the last 6-7 years.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I played until high school, then pickup hockey after that for a year or two. Haven't skated since, almost 20 years. I don't think I was a bad player, but when you live in Canada there's always a whack of guys who are way better than you for the most part. I really lost the competitive drive to play towards the end, I had other interests by that time.
I know we're known for loving and living hockey up here, but however much you think we love it...times that by a hundred. Literally. When I was in grade school, our soccer field was flooded every winter right to one of the school doors. They would line the hallway in the school with these burlap carpets and benches and you would bring your skates and we'd play in the morning, during lunch, and after school. Every day. I used to volunteer to water the rink just to get out of class.

Dec 24, 2012
I toyed with it years ago but have a bumb knee so no more. I am a rink rat though - my youngest son plays timbit hockey and just started in a summer league (and power skating lessons to boot) - spend a good chunk of each weekend in the arena. My oldest son tried it but wasn't into it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Now you've got me traveling down memory lane. God I used to love old Norris division hockey.

Dec 24, 2012
Canucks are crazy. One of my partners and her spouse built a full size NHL outdoor rink at their house, with lights and everything. Her husband bought the boards from some arena that went bankrupt or something in Nevada and had them trucked up north. He just picked up a used zamboni and had a garage contiguous to his rink built to house the zamboni. Now that's loving the game.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Nothing better than an outdoor rink, 20 below and can't feel your feet, playing until your legs don't move anymore or Mom finally yells that it's bed time. Yep.....we're crazy. That's why Canadian hockey is the best, nobody else does it the way we do it.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Also played goalie. I got in to it later in life and played on my fire departments team in an adult league.
Loved hockey growing up and idolized Patrick Roy.
I live in a resort area so I've been fortunate enough to meet quite a few guys. More notably Michel Dion and Mark Messier. Michel and I bumped in to each other a couple times a week and we used to talk quite a bit about everything. Mostly I was interested in listening to his stories about him coming in to sports... He played MLB before transitioning to hockey... How nervous were you your first game... Most memorial game... Ect.
Mark and I were taking flying lessons at the same time from the same instructor so we would have ground school together. Never talked hockey because I heard he didn't like being bothered about it. We were on a first name basis although I doubt he'd know me if he saw me now.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Nothing better than an outdoor rink, 20 below and can't feel your feet, playing until your legs don't move anymore or Mom finally yells that it's bed time.
Woe unto those who raise the puck on a 20 below outdoor rink when no one is wearing shin pads!

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Glad to here all these stories. I haven't played in about 8 years now but I'm dying to get back to the ice. Peck that is amazing that your partner has a full rink!!! Mark Messier was my idol growing up until I started goaltending but still a ranger fan so Richter was always a favorite of mine. Ill let you know how it goes when I get back on the ice this fall.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Agreed Ghost, that's an instant ass kicking if you do that
Oh you better believe that's a paddling! :evil:
My best friend when I was a kid made the NHL, played for a few years for a few teams. Last I heard he was playing in Europe a few years back. I don't really want to name drop him, he wasn't a really famous player anyways. He moved from our town when we were 14 or so and the last time we met up was a few years after that. By then he was in the OHL, and I was a shiftless punk. Speaking of taking pucks off the shins, I'd like to think the relentless abuse my body took being his defacto goalie for street hockey contributed to his early development. I reckon I was bruised for eight years straight...

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
I really tried to treat Mark as a regular Joe.
I think the last time I saw him, I walked into the airport lounge and he was sitting reading a magazine and he looked up and saw me... Hey Ryan! How are you?
I was resisting the urge to jump up and down like a girl that Justin Beiber just said hello to. I went the other direction and clamed up a little.. I said "nothing" and walked to the computers to check the weather for my flight. I think we talked for a little before I took off but I'll remember how I basically was a dick to him. Not on purpose but I'm sure it would have been easy to think that.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been playing for 21 years now. Started when I was 7. Played up to Midget AA and AAA. Never went anywhere after that. Just played beer leagues and pick up games. Still love it. Over the last few years I've gotten pretty good again because I was helping out with a 16AAA team and playing 3 on 3 board to board with them a lot. To me there's no exercise nearly as fun as a pick up or shinny game.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Helping out that team the last couple years I've met a number of players. The Gretzky Fantasy Camp is held at the rink I skate at. Pokey Reddick is the head hockey guy there, he backed up Ranford for the 90 Cup with the Oilers. Last year I got to meet Walter Gretzky, Jeremy Roenick, Bobby Hull, Mike Commodore, Mike Keenan, Anson Carter, Marty McSorely, and Glen Anderson. Great guys that are fun to shoot the breeze with.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have never played hockey; to be honest, I never even watched hockey until a week ago, but once I did I was hooked. What an exciting action packed game. The pure athleticism is a thing of beauty.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Just for fun with buddies, usually around Christmas. I played a lot more floor hockey growing up for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.