PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's the key right there Lord, imagine playing football or basketball on a slippery surface. And then standing on jus an inch long piece of quarter inch steel to try to maintain your balance. Add in weapons and frozen projectiles flying around at 100 miles an hour. Only a crazy cabin fevered Canuck could think that sounded like fun. Pretty sure several beers were involved when thinking up this one! :clap:

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
Glad to hear you're getting back on the ice.
Being from Canada, I've been playing hockey since I was 5yrs old or less… I used to play every day, even at school we had a sheet of ice and would play during recess (albeit, only with our boots and a rubber puck). I’ve stopped playing the game while I was in university (Broke) and got back into the sport once I got a job and some money. I've been playing since then.
In 2000, I moved from Montréal to PA (Lancaster) and joined a beer league in the area. I met a great bunch of guys from all backgrounds. It made the “Transplantation” much easier.
Even as I'm getting older and slower, I love playing the game.

hockey2-600x284.jpg

And can still manage to get the job done one way or another…

hockey3-600x414.jpg

It’s a great sport, good exercise and a much needed stress relief. I’ve made some good friend through the sport and my kids love to see “Papa” trying…

hockey4-600x363.jpg

Good luck getting back into the game and have fun!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Who own de Chiefs?
"Owns...oooooowns!"
Seeing those pics almost makes me want to make a comeback, I wonder if there's a 'beginner' league in my area for guys like me who haven't touched a puck in years....

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Most rinks will delineate their leagues according to skill level. One night will be guys who played minors, juniors, D1 college hockey. Another night will be guys who played AAA or whatever growing up. Another night will be guys who've been playing for a few years but didn't have a background. And finally another night will be guys who've never played or haven't played since the Clinton administration or earlier.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
another night will be guys who've never played or haven't played since the Clinton administration or earlier.
That would be me! :) The equipment is going to be a huge investment on it's own, I'll have to look into it further. I'm already setting aside for Sens season tickets so that's a factor too.
I have terrible eyesight, and I used to play without glasses (before I wore contacts). I wonder what it would be like to see while playing? 8O

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Don't know if there's an icesports in Otrawa Ghost, but if ther is check out their leagues. They have adult recreational leagues that are professionally run.

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
Our team went up to Ottawa a few years ago for a Labatts Tourney.
Although we got schooled, we had a great time on the ice and off ice.
Ghost,

you're right, it really helps when you can see the puck, your teammate and the net. It's half the battle, the other half is a different story... :D
Hope you can get the fundings and enjoy playing again.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
GHOST check out Play It Again Sports, they have tons of gently used equipment at an affordable price, skates in particular

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks for the tips! I already see a few possible leagues in Ottawa I might fit into, as well as instructional sessions. I haven't been to hockey school since I was 6! That might be fun too. It's really the skating I'm concerned with. I used to be a good skater, but those muscles haven't been worked in a long time.
As for equipment, Play It Again would be the best option for now. I have a tendency to REALLY get into things once I get hooked, but I'm not going to shell out a ton of cash up front for all new gear before I know I'll stick to it.
As for playing without glasses, as long as I knew what colour the other team is wearing I was good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.