Any Guitar Players Amongst Us? I'd Like Your Opinion.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I struggle with

pressing one string at a time without touching the next string and getting that plunking sound (if that makes sense)
Totally makes sense. That's just part of learning guitar. Keep at it and eventually your fingers will remember where to go. Good luck on your new journey! It takes practice, but it's so very rewarding. :clap:

bogfire

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2019
I have an Art&Lutherier guitar. Made by the same company that makes SimonPatrick and I believe Seagull. Best sounding guitar that I have ever played. Solid Cedar top and cherry wood back and sides.

I would choose the Seagull as you are guaranteed a quality sound. Yamaha is also not a bad guitar these days and good for someone starting out.

Reactions: briarbuck

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
scloyd, I'm a bit late to this party so my only advice is to stick with playing your guitar. I've been playing for 55 years. Over that time I've played and owned many guitars ( currently 30 in the basement). You are giving yourself a lifetime gift. Guitar, and any other string instrument, is among the most difficult to master. The good news is that you can learn some basic chords quickly and keep your interest going. I've taught hundreds of people over the years and I can tell you that the most successful of my students are the ones who played daily and had fun doing it. Playing music sharpens your motor skills, keeps your mind very active and, ultimately, will give you the satisfaction of doing something that many others dream of and never achieve because they gave up.

So, good luck to you and keep at it. There's nothing like playing your first song from beginning to end. You'll smile and amaze your family and friends.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Back to guitar talk.

Saturday was my one year anniversary with my guitar. I practice maybe twice a week for about 30 minutes each time. I'm picking away, one string at a time and haven't tried chords yet.

Remember, I have never played an instrument before and this guitar was a 60th birthday present to myself.

Here's a couple of videos for your enjoyment...or displeasure.

Any comments? Go ahead let me have them. I can take it. rotf

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have an Art&Lutherier guitar. Made by the same company that makes SimonPatrick and I believe Seagull. Best sounding guitar that I have ever played. Solid Cedar top and cherry wood back and sides.

I would choose the Seagull as you are guaranteed a quality sound. Yamaha is also not a bad guitar these days and good for someone starting out.
I have a old Simon Patrick Luthier guitar from the late 70's? I think it's one of the first 2 years of production. Cherry back and old growth spruce top. Need to get the neck worked on, but it sounds great.

As far as your playing goes, if you're having fun, your doing it right.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Back to guitar talk.

Saturday was my one year anniversary with my guitar. I practice maybe twice a week for about 30 minutes each time. I'm picking away, one string at a time and haven't tried chords yet.

Remember, I have never played an instrument before and this guitar was a 60th birthday present to myself.

Here's a couple of videos for your enjoyment...or displeasure.

Any comments? Go ahead let me have them. I can take it. rotf
Neat-O.
?

* I only listened to the second one, I just can't stand Amazing Grace, not that that's your fault, but hearing Amazing Grace makes me wanna go like this ?

dc7e8a5dd49a2d160557106eeb0f9df9.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: scloyd

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Scott, this update passed me by for sure thanks for sending the link.

I'd say you are doing alright! (The first video doesn't play for me for some reason), and I would parrot the comment above that if you are having fun you are on the right track.

I started a little after you I think? It is definately something that needs practicing and muscle memory, but sometimes everything just 'clicks' and it is great.

When are we starting our band?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I never would have said this 2 years ago. But I’d go with the Yamaha. I bought one for my son about two years ago. The only thing I noticed that was off was the intonation, which was very slight. Playing it in store is key, with any guitar. What happens sometimes is you play the floor model, then they go and get one from stock. Have your kids play the one from stock before you leave the store.

My son lost interest in playing guitar, now my daughter and I play that Yamaha. Is it a $500 guitar, no. It’s a $200 dollar guitar, that plays damn good. (And I’m a guitar snob)

Playing Guitar is a lot of work. It’s one of the hardest instruments to learn how to play. Start with an acoustic steel string. Stay away from a classical nylon. Build your callouses, and build muscle memory with 30 min practice a day regimen. Be persistent and don’t set goals too high. Find inspiration from the styles of music that you love.

I started playing guitar when I was 7 years old. I’ve been playing for roughly 34 years. Yes, always spend more on a guitar. But you don’t know how far you will take it. I’m sure any guitar you pick will be the right one. Good luck and have some fun and good bonding with your children. You guys deserve it.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I will only talk about the 2 im familiar with.
I have never played that specific model of alvarez, but the two alvarez guitars i have owned were both good instruments and i have never played an alvarez i didnt like.

I played an FG 830 recently at a local music store, i think all the 800 series have the same construction with cosmetic differences and it was a great playing and great sounding guitar, the action was a little high at the 12 fret, but the sound put a grin on my face the first chord i hit.

A buddy of mine has a low end fender and for the price its a really good guitar.

Reactions: scloyd

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
My main acoustic is a 1981 Alvarez Yairi I’ve had since then. I’ll never part with it.

I started out with a Yamaha that cost about $250 back in the 70s. I wish I hadn’t sold it. It was a good playing and sounding guitar.

Regardless what you have getting a good setup on a factory guitar can make a world of difference.

In the end it’s the player, not the instrument that matters most. Keep playing, keep learning and you’ll surprise yourself how good you’re getting.

Pick a few chords and learn to play them cleanly. It’s humbling at first but you’ll get it before you know it. C, F, and G are different basic shapes that form the basis for a lot of others.

Try a different brand of strings when you change them. You’ll eventually find one works best on your guitar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.