Any Guitar Players Amongst Us? I'd Like Your Opinion.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My vote would be for the Cordoba. I had the c8 version years ago and absolutely loved it. Such a loud bright tone. I had to sell it to pay bills, but have debated re purchasing it.
On the other hand I own a 12 string version of that Alvarez as well, and it sounds great for a beginner guitar.
Been playing guitar for 24 years.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys. My budget as stated above is guitar only, no case/bag or accessories. I am copying and pasting all of your tips/suggestions into a document that I am going print and bring with to the store. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I’ve been playing and collecting (though in recent years, mostly selling) guitars for 50 years. The guitar has to feel good to you. There are many different body styles, neck widths, weights, etc. So, it’s a good idea to go to a store that has a lot of guitars with someone you know who can play (as you stated). But the guitar you choose should feel good to you in your hands. Of course, the intonation and action need to be right, and the ones you mentioned are generally pretty good in that department. Still, even within the same brand and model, there are variations. Like pipes, you’ll find the one that speaks to you, and says, “I’m the one for you.”

Reactions: macaroon and rushx9

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
^^^^ what Jerry said.
In every guitar I've purchased over he years - the guitar picks me. It just feels right and sounds right, to me.
400 USDs will get you a decent guitar.
My golden rule to beginners ( as I was told by a great guitar player when I was 14) was to pick it up EVERY day at least for a 1/2 hour..or more. Do finger exercises, ear chords, etc.
I've taught some people in the past and I teach a bit different I have them playing a rock and roll beat on the very first day. It's so easy and gives the student instant inspiration - in contrast to struggling to play a simple chord configuration.
go to 9:20 time line to get the jist of it (below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE2o1erPxXY

Reactions: rushx9

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I beg to differ with some here. This is your first guitar, you will be learning how to play. You don't know enough about the instrument to "let it pick you." Listen to the boys and any other long time pickers you might encounter. Now if your mentors put a couple of acceptable guitars in front of you? Sure, pick the one you might instinctively prefer for any number of reasons, sound, shape, feel, action, color, inlays, pickups, etc.
Oh, and I suggest, if they are still available, a "Pignose" amp. Small, great sound, a favorite of some pros pickers I've met over the years. Plugin or battery so you can take it to the yard. Have the boys get you one. They aren't/weren't that expensive. I offer that advise not knowing what is available these days. And, it's free advice so you know what it is worth.
Learning on a "steel string" will cause a bit of pain if you over do it. Similar to "tongue bite" with your first few bowls. Not easily avoided because you now have a thirst and will probably have the "axe" in your lap way too long for the first few days. Just accept the pain and let the calluses build.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Guitar Center and other music stores have loads of guitars to pick up and check out. IMO, even beginners can "get a feel" for a guitar if they have may available to compare with. The neck width and shape as it fits to the players hand (and finger size)The body/size of the guitar that fits to the persons body (size and shape of both, if not a good match it will feel awkward, even to a beginner. Taking a experienced player along is a big plus which was already mentioned.
Back to price. I've played $2500 guitars that sounded horrible. I have a $400 Fender elec/acoustic made out of Asian Dao wood that sounds like a $1200 Martin. So yeah, taking along your son/s or son in a law is a big plus.
Purchasing used is a very good option as well. There must be a billion orphaned guitars out there just begging to be adopted.
Like shopping for a new horse, "looks" should be totally avoided (IMO). My Martin DM-15 is probably the ugliest plain jane Martin guitar made. It smells like a old cigar box too (I happen to love the smell) But she sounds and plays fanfuckintastic.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
As you’ve seen from the above responses, there are loads of factors to consider when buying a guitar! If you don’t play enough to know instinctively know what you like in a guitar, bringing your sons would be great. Sit down with multiple guitars and have them play the same piece on each guitar, do an A/B/C comparison and see which one sounds the best to you. Then use your own hands to see if the neck and fretboard feel comfortable. Looks aren’t everything, but I wouldn’t buy any guitar that I hated looking at, even if it played great. I don’t care how comfortable the neck is, if it’s some spikey red monstrosity I’m not interested. But that’s just my personal opinion. Also, I personally would not buy an acoustic guitar that doesn’t have clear and resonant harmonics on the 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets across all strings. I don’t like dead spots on an acoustic. I’m sure you could find one you like out of your list. For Yamaha, I bought a FSX700SC that plays quite nice, and I believe it was around $400. You might give that one a try if you see one sitting around. I hope you find one you love, guitar playing is terrific fun. Cheers!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I turned 50 and started to play, normally 4-6 hours a week. I am 9 years in. I decided I wasn't going to the grave not knowing how to play some music.
I would highly recommend playing a ton of different guitars. Once you buy your first, keep playing all different types of guitars because what you like/don't like will change rapidly over the first few years.
I have managed to collect some nice guitars at auction, same as I do for many pipes.

A couple of 70's - 80's MIJ Ibanez AR's,

Taylor, 0-18 size,

an old Guild M-25.

I found an old Simon and Patrick Luthier at auction (that was the company that was the predecessor of Seagull).
It's a journey and well worth the time invested.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks everyone. This will be my first guitar. Here are my thoughts on order of importance.
1. Feel/Comfort/Playability - I want a guitar that feels good and is comfortable to hold and play.

2. Sound - If it doesn't sound good I'll get discouraged and won't enjoy it.

3. Construction/Looks/Shape - Solid top natural color wood. Not a fan of the red and black sun-burst.

4. Price, guitar alone - I'm not limited to $400. If I find the "perfect for me" guitar and it's $600, it's mine.
One more thing to throw into the mix...strings. Nylon or steel?
Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.
edit- I'm going to look into used guitars also. Why not?

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
As others have said, play every guitar you can get your hands on before you drop some money on one. Generally one will speak to you. The seagulls are really nice for the money but a couple years ago I went into guitar center and played every guitar within my budget to buy my dad a guitar so he could learn. Ended up finding an old used Yamaha that plays amazing.
Used guitars are definitely the way to go in my opinion. As long as you've got a reputable guitar shop who has set it up or someone who can evaluate the action and the neck and body for any possible damage there is no reason to buy new if you can find a better guitar for the same price used. Guitars should a lifetime as long as they're taken care of correctly so with a little knowledge you can get an amazing playing used guitar within your budget.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Start with a steel string "dreadnought" style acoustic guitar setup properly with a set of 12s (strings). And speaking of used, some of the 60s and 70s era FG series Yamaha acoustics sound great and can be made to play very well if setup correctly.

Should be well within your budget range and hold all value for resale.
I have dabbled with nylon (classical) periodically and have owned some very nice classical guitars, but I would not want to be limited to just that one style - very different playing experience and frame of mind (for me).

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Spend the least amount on the first guitar. Most stop playing after the first month. Either that or you will end up spending $1000-$3000 on the 2nd if you do enjoy it. Get a laminated guitar first then you can leave it out and use it as a beater guitar. You cannot go wrong with that Yamaha especially with a 15% off coupon . Almost always one available.
Better yet buy a used guitar for $100-$200. Used guitars go for up to %50 off for mint Near mint.

xilefregnu

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Here's one to consider:
https://reverb.com/item/12966542-breedlove-passport-n250-coe-natural?gclid=CjwKCAjw7MzkBRAGEiwAkOXexNuyxX-llsgWHsWGQ9daNxZ5rdtc_GgjpK26oLbgG60OxRDE3GxXgRoCoVMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
Not my guitar or my auction, but I own the same model. This guitar employs nylon strings, but has a 14 fret neck with a non-classical width. It has built in electronics and a tuner; it's well made and it plays easily. It will be easier on the fingers for a beginner.
Studio_N250_CRe_BS.jpg

Just another suggestion to go along with the other fine ones offered!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Yes, finally! A thread on this forum where I've got the experience and knowledge to answer with confidence that I'm more right than most (25+ years semi-pro guitar-playing, 20+ years giving lessons). I've owned guitars made by all these companies except Cordoba. The Fenders and the Yamahas are the only ones I've kept more than 2 years. So that's what I think of those other brands (though some older Seagulls don't sound terrible). The quick and dirty: 1. Buy used. Buying new guitars is for silly people. But you can't buy it online - you gotta hold it in your hands. If it makes a sound you like, and the fingerboard looks flat when you squint down the neck, it's in perfect working order. If it arouses feelings of love, then buy it immediately. 2. Get the Fender if you want a thinner neck - their thin necks are what really set even their student models apart. I like them for studio work, but they don't project very well. 3. Get a steel string. Trying to learn real guitar after playing a classical/nylon string is no fun at all. 4. That whole "Buy a nice one to start with" is total bullshit, trust me. It always ends in tears; I've seen it over and over. Buy a cheap one first, then work your way up. Yeah, you'll move on quick if you take to it. You're not going to get what a serious guitar for that price range anyway. And if you don't take to it, then you have a dust-collector that you didn't break the bank on rather than a 400$ dust-collector. Lastly, you shouldn't spend a lot of money on an instrument until you know how to play it enough to know what you like. When it comes to guitars, as with pipes, informed taste requires skill. 5. There is no real correlation between price and quality in guitars, and name-brand loyalty is for suckers (except maybe Martin). Some of my most magical guitars have been no-namers bought for 150 or less. And all my worst guitars have been... Gibsons.
And, oh, most important of all: Don't pay any attention to what any of us says (especially me) - just get the one that turns on a light for you. I'm 100% with Jerry - he's totally right. If you don't like it, you're not going to spend time with it no matter how much "knowledgeable" people tell you that you should like it.

Reactions: yaddy306

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Update:

First, I want to thank everyone for your input and suggestions. I purchased the Cordoba C5 for $279 last week. I went to two different Guitar Centers and compared Yamaha, Alvarez, Lucera and Cordoba.
I haven't started any lessons yet, looking for someone local. I've been watching some YouTube and getting some pointers from my boys. It's definitely a struggle since I have never played an instrument before. I struggle with

pressing one string at a time without touching the next string and getting that plunking sound (if that makes sense). I practice about 30-45 minutes a day and though I don't have calluses yet, I can feel them beginning to form. So far, so good I guess.
One of my boys will give the guitar a good home if I decide not to continue this musical adventure.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.