Any Guitar Players Amongst Us? I'd Like Your Opinion.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
In the next couple of weeks I am going to purchase my first guitar and start taking lessons. I'll be 60 next week and I don't think it's to late to learn. My two boys play and so does my son-in-law. They'll probably come with when I make the purchase. I'm looking in the $200-$400 price range. Here's what I'm looking at. Any comments or suggestions?
Fender California Malibu

Seagull Original S6

Cordoba C5

Alvarez AD30

Yamaha FG800
Any other suggestions? I want to keep it under $500
Thanks...I appreciate any input.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I'd get the seagull, I've played that exact model as my old guitarist has one and they are great. They tend to have wider necks than alot of acoustics. I've never played a Cordoba so I cant give any insight on them. I've play many an Alvanrez and Yamahas and they are good too. I'd stay away from the fender because in this price range you paying alot for the name alone. Also I dont care if the sells person tells you if the guitar has Ben setup or not pay the 50-100 bucks to have a professional guitar tech set it up, it's like night and day after a great setup. YMMV, But it's hard to beat Seagulls in this price range.

Reactions: rushx9

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Any will do for a beginner. If your boys are going with you just have them pick the one that plays the easiest.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It gets pretty personal but I would go with that Fender that you listed. I have an acoustic Fender that still plays wonderfully and keeps a tune great and I’ve had it since I was a kid, got it in 1993. Plus, since you are a beginner you’re going to want a thinner neck and good action, the Fender will give you both. Plus it’s got a very respectable name in the industry. I would definitely stay away from the Yamaha but again, it mainly boils down to personal preference.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I have to disagree with "Any guitar with do for a beginner". I've seen alot of people start to learn to play on a cheap/bad guitar and one of 2 things happen.
1.)They get better and have to instantly upgrade guitars.
2.) The guitar plays awful and they get discouraged and quit.
I always recommend a beginner borrows or rents a guitar to see if its something they would like to invest in. If you think PAD and TAD are hard on the wallet wait into GAD sets in. Gear/Guitar Accusation Disorder.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I've been playing a Seagull for 15 years. I have the M6 not the S6 though. Theyr're great guitars and i love mine. If it feels good to you, its a nice instrument at a reasonable price.
Mine has aged and mellowed bautifully.
Whatever you get, try to get solid top, back and sides. It will make a difference in how the guitar sounds and how it will age and develop its tone.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Any would be ok choices. I'm a big fan of Recording King. It's the best materials in construction for the price I've found. I play an all solid-wood RK I picked up for about $600, and I prefer it to Martin and Taylor.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I have to disagree with "Any guitar with do for a beginner".
This.
I've been playing over 30 years. My experience is to buy a good used instrument that will not limit you in any way, and will hold or appreciate its value in the event you cease playing. Investing in a good instrument is also investing in yourself.
Have one of your sons help you, play several and choose the most inspiring one you can find.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Great responses so far...thanks.
Excuse my wording or descriptions - I want a solid top, a thinner neck and not something that is oversized/too big. I want to be comfortable with it because if it doesn't feel good or is uncomfortable to play I'm afraid I'll get discouraged, tired of it and won't want to continue.
I'll check out Recording Kings, Martins and Taylors. I looked at the Taylor GS Mini but that's a tad over my budget.
This is not a purchase that I'm going to just jump into. I've been researching online, youtube and even in the store.
Thanks again.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Any of those will work. Only this word of warning, the lower the action the easier it will be on the fingers until you have the callouses. But not too low or you'll fight "buzz" all the time. Yup,take the boys and, an action isn't too hard to lower if necessary.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'll check out Recording Kings, Martins and Taylors.
When I compared the RKs to Martins and Taylors, I meant that the quality and materials of the Recording King were as good or better than guitars (such as Martins and Taylor) that are vastly more expensive. Any new Martin you could get for $500 would likely not be a Martin worth having.

Reactions: macaroon and rushx9

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha... GAD! Yup, it gets expensive! Does anyone here have a JamStack? I’m absolutely loving it! Hook your phone right up to the guitar and your possibilities are endless. It was made to be more of a practice amp that sounds good at a low volume, which it does, but it also gets fairly loud too. It doubles as a blue tooth speaker too. If y’all haven’t heard of it, YouTube it. I have no affiliation with the company, I just really love mine.

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Agree with acidpox. Whichever one you pick, spend the money to get a professional set up. Think of your guitar as a "kit" as they all need to be adapted to the player and to their new home, temperature and humidity.
If you can, try them all out, one will probably speak to you.

Jan 8, 2013
I have to disagree with "Any guitar with do for a beginner". I've seen alot of people start to learn to play on a cheap/bad guitar and one of 2 things happen.
Agreed! And much of that is because of comfort. Beginning guitar can be tough on your fingers. You may want to look into string height... and can it be adjusted? How wide is the neck... will you be able to easily play the dreaded F chord? (Do yourself a favor and make that chord part of your daily learning routine from the beginning. You'll thank yourself later. That's just one thing to look into. Also, hardware. Ask what your sons and son in law think of the hardware. You don't want a guitar that going to go out of tune every time you strum a chord.
As far as age, I don't think anyone is ever too old to learn an instrument if they are physically able to do so. Do your warm up exercises (your instructor will show you these things) to keep your hands nimble and to build strength and dexterity, and you'll be fine.
I could go on and on, just as the other posters could go on and on. But the most important thing to remember, in my opinion, is have fun!

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Key points above about choosing a good guitar vs. "any" guitar for a beginner. We all tend to think in the $200-$400 range assuming it's the right budget for "starter" quality. I disagree based on some of the following points:
1. New players should be able to learn and feel/hear progress. A cheaper guitar may not permit that due to poor playability.

2. Poor playability leads to quitting since students feel like they're not progressing.

3. Practice times will be discouraged due to poor/painful results. Note that guitars will hurt at first, but as callouses build, that goes away.
Thoughts:

1. Plan on the price of the guitar to not include the case; spending $400 on a guitar "with a case" usually means you're getting a $250 guitar.

2. If you can spend $100-$150 on a case, spend that instead on a better guitar.

3. Know that if you get a very good quality guitar and you choose not to pursue it, you can sell it to get some of your money back. In that thought process, you've rented a better quality guitar than you would have originally bought and still spent about the same amount of money.
Visit a guitar forum and review the opinions of various guitars. Google for specific reviews of the guitar you might be interested in.
One last point about string height - you should be able to adjust the G (number 6/top) string to right at 4mm at the 12th fret. That will result in a very playable guitar regardless of the brand.
Happy Hunting - and in guitar world, be careful of GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.