Any Good Recommendations For A Nice Knife For Plug And Ropes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I bought this to get a better cut on my Peterson Plugs. I have not tried it on the Salty Dogs plug yet but it cuts 3p’s pretty good.
Boker Rambler

STANDARD-94585970c6690242b-600x500.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
CCW, I used to be a professional and my knife box (a converted old wood tacklebox) had approximately 30 knives in it. I had various lengths of Chef knives, four different boning knives from crazy flexible to rigid. I had three different kinds of cleavers..... and you get the idea.
I'm a huge fan of specialty tools.
I'm not a pro chef anymore and do everything I need with a chef's knife and a paring knife,
You can less with more and more with less. Personal preference is all that's required.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I just use my pocket knife which is a case XX russlock, but I do tend to keep it sharper than a lot of people's pocket knifes. Since I have worked in kitchens and farms my whole life I learned early that a dull knife is more dangerous than a super sharp one

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Something to look for would be proper blade geometry for the job. Your Gerber might be a little thick behind the edge and thus be binding up. A thin blade might work best. A thin kitchen knife in decent steel would fit the bill, as would the Opi IMO.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
For plugs I like my H. Roselli Puuko. For ropes and cube cutting flakes, I don't think you can beat a pair of Xikar Cigar scissors.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I have a sharp santoku knife that does better for plugs than other things I tried. The straight edge and thin blade help to make thin, precise cuts. I think it does a little better in that regard than a chef knife, as well as for mincing and fine dicing other vegetables, i.e. the kind you're supposed to eat for food.
The downside: It's a little bulky to carry around with you. I guess you could put it in a sheath or something, in case walking around with a pipe hanging out of your mouth isn't eccentric-looking enough.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I use a Kuhn Rikon Mini Prep Knife, a mini cleaver, I think I paid $10 for. Very sharp and it seems a little easier to shave off something that looks more like a flake and less like mulch. I also use an Opinel No. 8 from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.