Any Good Recommendations For A Nice Knife For Plug And Ropes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
New Cigars
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have a couple of knives that do the trick and they're pretty sharp, but I still feel like I'm not "slicing" through my ropes and plugs as well as I'd like to. Sometimes I feel like I might even be just mashing through it, but this partially serrated Gerber is nice for all sorts of other uses, just not quite the best at slicing tobacco.
I don't really mind whether it's a folding or fixed, just something nice that's sharp, cuts well and easy to maintain. I'll only be using this one for tobaccos, unless I need some self defense in the moment or a string needs cutting. I like keeping blades separate from one another as per their use. Does anyone have any good recommendations?

The key is keeping your knife sharp and clean. Plugs are so goopy and wet usually that you really need to wipe down the blade after each cut. For ropes, I use my cigar cutter, but I will still wipe it down good after a few slices.

I have about every type of knife there is, getting at least three from family each year. They will all cut well if kept clean and as sharp as possible. I will set down with the knives I actually use a few times a year and hone them back, usually when I am also putting a nice polish on my shoes and belts. Maintenance. It can be a Catharsis.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is what I use. I agree with Cosmic that the blade needs to be clean. It's amazing how much crud is left on the blade after a cutting session.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have honestly found the absolute best knife for plugs and such is an ulu. Not the best for carrying around, but at home, I have a dedicated ulu with antler handle and a cephalopod carved on the handle. A real beauty on the tobacco desk but full function as well.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
At the start my fascination with pipe smoking would have wanted a dedicated knife with best function for compressed tobacco, just as you; but at the end I just wanted it cut and was no longer willing to spend the money. At any rate I ended up separating it with my fingers. To spend money on a special object would ritualize the process that fingers accomplished, which although seemingly desirable to you, became meaningless to me, along with a special prep table, Swann matches and a $200.00 mahogany cigar cutter.

I have a friend who just drops plugs into coffee grinders after drying them all the way out. He ends up with something close to a shag. That's the way he likes them. And, honestly, that whole "talked about" ritual thing... I am with Salted on that, just get it into my pipe and get it lit. I barely ever even remember packing my pipes after I get it going, and I'm not sure how being all Zen and tea ceremony about the whole packing process makes smoking any better. But, if someone else finds joy in that stuff, so be it. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plenty of snazzy knife and blade guys on Forums, but if you are in the basic stages, a little Opinel folding knife with a carbon steel blade that will re-sharpen nicely would do the job. After that, the sky is the limit, as fellow members will elucidate.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
All depends on how much you wanna spend.

If you can afford $200 knife - Spyderco Military. If I ever seen a slicer - that would it. On the cheaper side - Opinel. Midrange - Kershaw and CRKT. If you end up with Kershaw - try to get one with sandvik 14c28n steel.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm an Opinel Carbone guy. They are a cheap, simple, light and effective tool as long as you treat it right. They are easy to keep sharp but you must keep them clean and dry.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Not really wanting the whole ritual thing, just wondered if any of you had found a good knife for cutting up the plugs and ropes. The several knives I own and have tried, even though sharp enough to do what I normally use a knife for, just seem to be getting "stuck" as they cut through that stickiness you mention. I wipe it down each time, but just felt curious if there was some better blade out there than my little Gerber.
An ulu sounds like an interesting way to cut it up and I do believe that using a coffee grinder is about as inventive as any a method I have heard.
I do have a Kershaw laying around somewhere. It likes to sprout legs and walk off. Was my favorite folder with a partially serrated edge, which I seem to be fond of for my every day carry. They have lots of utilization.
Several mentioned that I might look into. The only reason I mention dedicated to tobacco is that I have so many and who knows what all I've used them for. Probably shit that I don't even want to think about having used them for.
So I was just considering something brand new that I knew would do the job. That's all.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Don't feel the need to explain yourself. Just because salted and cosmic hate dedicated tools doesn't mean you have to. :wink: You do you. My ulu gives me perfect control over the thickness of the slices, sometimes I want shag and sometimes I want ribbon, depending on my mood and pipe. That is the best reason I can give for such a blade. When I am out and about, I just toss the plug in my pocket and use the Kershaw folder, though.

For the record, I didn't advocate using the coffee grinder. I just mentioned that a friend does. Mostly, I just avoid buying the plugs to begin with, but I do buy quite a few ropes, because they are just way easier to deal with, IMO.

I have a few ulus as well, a cigar knife, and even a plug knife, but they work no better nor worse than a clean, well sharpened Old Timey pocketknife, IMO.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Didn't mean to denigrate whatever value you find in tools. I think my reaction had more to do with the same tendencies that I had that I ended up not liking.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I use whatever knife is handy. Afield that would either be my leatherman or fixed blade condor. At home it would be my Wusthof chef knife.
I can see how a ulu would work well. In fact this knife is being sold as an antique "tabakmesser" (tobacco knife) on ebay in Germany and it looks a lot like a ulu.
s-l1600.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I got a cheap Opinel that works reasonably well. Just need to have some patience. Plugs aren't going to slice like a Porterhouse from Mortons no matter what you use. Take your time and let the knife do the work.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I have been using a razor blade like goes in a decal scraper to cut my ropes seems to be working pretty good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.