PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
If so, I'm looking to procure Cilantro plant roots. Essential ingredient in authentic scratch made Thai Curries.
Anybody willing to pull these at the end of growing season... I'd be happy to pay shipping.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
By the time I am willing to pull up my plants, you too could have grown some. They are practically a weed. Anyone could grow it. It is also called coriander.

This. Of all the various veggies and fruits I grow, coriander is the easiest as I just broadcast the seeds and forget about them. Rain and time do the rest.

If so, I'm looking to procure Cilantro plant roots. Essential ingredient in authentic scratch made Thai Curries.
Anybody willing to pull these at the end of growing season... I'd be happy to pay shipping.
Thanks!

I have never heard of using the coriander roots as an ingredient, and will have to look into it. You are welcome to PM me end of May/beginning of June and see where my plants are at. I usually let them seed out for both cooking and planting again in the fall, but having just planted a 15-ft row of them yesterday, I know I'll have plenty to spare to send you what you need.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
It goes to seed really fast here, always catches me out, I need to stagger the seed planting so i have it longer, rather than too much at once.
I just use the leaf after it goes to seed. It self propagates so fast, that I will have cilantro growing staggered all year without really having to do anything. YMMV

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
This. Of all the various veggies and fruits I grow, coriander is the easiest as I just broadcast the seeds and forget about them. Rain and time do the rest.

I have never heard of using the coriander roots as an ingredient, and will have to look into it. You are welcome to PM me end of May/beginning of June and see where my plants are at. I usually let them seed out for both cooking and planting again in the fall, but having just planted a 15-ft row of them yesterday, I know I'll have plenty to spare to send you what you need.
That's not the case in south central Texas. It's a cool weather herb and I suspect it just gets too hot too fast. Although I might try a fall planting.

It's an essential ingredient for Thai based curries.

Thank you! I will PM you late May to see how it's going. I don't mind waiting till after they've gone to seed. It's only the roots I'm interested in.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Cilantro will grow in a pot on your windowsill. Like Cosmic said... it's basically a weed.

It would cost you less to buy a pouch of seeds, some potting soil and a plastic tub than it would be to mail you roots.
Unfortunately, that's not the case here. It's a cool weather herb, which is in short supply here.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
That's not the case in south central Texas. It's a cool weather herb and I suspect it just gets too hot too fast. Although I might try a fall planting.

It's an essential ingredient for Thai based curries.

Thank you! I will PM you late May to see how it's going. I don't mind waiting till after they've gone to seed. It's only the roots I'm interested in.

Ah, I see! I'm in south Tennessee and while I enjoy a good cilantro crop in the spring and fall/winter, any sign of heat causes them to bolt and flower. I've had some luck clipping the bolting stems to get another week or so out of the plant, but it's inevitable that the heat is not conducive to lasting leaf production.

I'm not sure how much you'll need nor what life stage produces the best roots. I would imagine the roots continue growing, even while flowering, though I may be wrong as all coriander roots have been for me is compost fodder.

I've had plenty of cilantro leaf on top of Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, but maybe this is the missing ingredient in my Thai curries? Again, thank you for the culinary tip!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I just use the leaf after it goes to seed. It self propagates so fast, that I will have cilantro growing staggered all year without really having to do anything. YMMV

Interesting. After my spring flush, I'll find sprouts from dropped seed, but the Tennessee sun beats it back - I can either let it hide under the shade of neighboring plants, in which case it won't grow, or else let the sun hit it and fry it, again, not allowing it to grow.

I've seen shade cloth extended the season for cool-weather-loving crops, but not long enough to justify the expense of purchasing the cloth. Maybe someday...

Interesting. After my spring flush, I'll find sprouts from dropped seed, but the Tennessee sun beats it back - I can either let it hide under the shade of neighboring plants, in which case it won't grow, or else let the sun hit it and fry it, again, not allowing it to grow.

I've seen shade cloth extended the season for cool-weather-loving crops, but not long enough to justify the expense of purchasing the cloth. Maybe someday...
I plant it on the shady side of some steps and it does grow slower, but doesn’t go to seed as fast. But, it still grows.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Not to double tap, but am I understanding you correctly that you are getting cilantro leaf through the summer down there in Alabammy? Once mine flowers, the leaves fall to shit and I'm stuck with waiting until the weather cools for more.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Cilantro will grow in a pot on your windowsill. Like Cosmic said... it's basically a weed.

It would cost you less to buy a pouch of seeds, some potting soil and a plastic tub than it would be to mail you roots.
Unfortunately, that's not the case here. It's a cool weather herb. That's in short supply here.
Ah, I see! I'm in south Tennessee and while I enjoy a good cilantro crop in the spring and fall/winter, any sign of heat causes them to bolt and flower. I've had some luck clipping the bolting stems to get another week or so out of the plant, but it's inevitable that the heat is not conducive to lasting leaf production.

I'm not sure how much you'll need nor what life stage produces the best roots. I would imagine the roots continue growing, even while flowering, though I may be wrong as all coriander roots have been for me is compost fodder.

I've had plenty of cilantro leaf on top of Thai and Vietnamese cuisine, but maybe this is the missing ingredient in my Thai curries? Again, thank you for the culinary tip!
Oh it doesn't matter, I can freeze the root "clump" to use whenever I make the curry. It's simply washed well, then pounded and ground in a mortar and pestle along with several other herbs and ingredients. The particular Curry I like best is Green Curry. Usually calling for a couple of tablespoons of chopped Cilantro root per paste recipe... i.e. enough to feed 4. I'd be tickled to death with a few ounces.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Thanks!
I agree that a made from scratch curry paste taste wonderful. And as much as I enjoy making a Thai Curry, I enjoy eating them more. For me, and I am speaking only for myself, making a paste is a diminishing return on flavor investment time wise unless I am making enough for ten or more people.

Reactions: monty55