PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Served on the board of directors for the homebrew club in Anchorage (Great Northern Brewers Club) for many years, love brewing. Won many a comp and brewed some batches at a few commercial breweries as a result. My favorites lately have been IPAs, sours, brett beers, saisons, wits and weizens, and any variation of stouts/porters. But I like it all.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I love craft beer. There are so many great breweries out there anymore. I play music for my second job/side hustle and pretty much try to play all of local breweries I can ...you get done earlier than bars, almost always drink for free, and generally have pretty chilled out crowds. Now if I could only smoke my pipe inside...but that's a whole other can of worms... I've been really into Rhinegeist beers lately.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I love craft beer. There are so many great breweries out there anymore. I play music for my second job/side hustle and pretty much try to play all of local breweries I can ...you get done earlier than bars, almost always drink for free, and generally have pretty chilled out crowds. Now if I could only smoke my pipe inside...but that's a whole other can of worms... I've been really into Rhinegeist beers lately.
you're pretty good; jammy with soul! rhinegeist are good i hear.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
We have.... somewhat... of a scene here, in New York City(and surrounding areas). I pick up a different IPA with just about every supermarket visit, and they're almost excusively hazy DDH NEIPA. Some suck, but others are trascendental beverages. I've loved most things from Interboro, and having sampled a few Other Half offerings, they certainly live up to the hype. More readily available supermarket beers I'm a big fan of(not sure what qualifies as "Craft" these days):

West coast style:

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Stone Brewing IPA
Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai(not sure if this is west coast style, it's very resinous though)

Others:

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter
Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing

Favorite Breweries in general:

* Interboro
* Other Half
* Omnipollo
* Stillwater Artisanal
* Frost Beer Works(off of a single beer, "Lush Double IPA" -- floored me)
* Beer'd Brewing Co. (off of a single beer again, "Dogs & Boats" -- a stunner of a DIPA)

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten about, but yeah...

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
We have.... somewhat... of a scene here, in New York City(and surrounding areas). I pick up a different IPA with just about every supermarket visit, and they're almost excusively hazy DDH NEIPA. Some suck, but others are trascendental beverages. I've loved most things from Interboro, and having sampled a few Other Half offerings, they certainly live up to the hype. More readily available supermarket beers I'm a big fan of(not sure what qualifies as "Craft" these days):

West coast style:

Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Stone Brewing IPA
Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai(not sure if this is west coast style, it's very resinous though)

Others:

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA
Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter
Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing

Favorite Breweries in general:

* Interboro
* Other Half
* Omnipollo
* Stillwater Artisanal
* Frost Beer Works(off of a single beer, "Lush Double IPA" -- floored me)
* Beer'd Brewing Co. (off of a single beer again, "Dogs & Boats" -- a stunner of a DIPA)

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten about, but yeah...
Yes those are all great ones and yes some are nothing special;

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Must be the old codger in me i dont like them. Wife bought me a "Antihero IPA" ?. Tasted like a skunk sprayed directly on my tongue. Craft beer for me is when i get Heineken once a year

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a big beer drinker here, but I enjoy the occasional brew, and craft beers can be tasty, usually ordered by me when I'm eating out, back in those days. In those cases, I look for exceptional examples of traditional style brews. Unusual flavorings and exceptionally light and dark don't play well with me, perhaps because I don't drink beer as much. No pumpkin spice, please, please. I wish someone would buy the license to the recipe for the old Chicago brew Meister Brau, a working man's beer sold in big glass bottles, and later in cans. In the bottles, it was truly a German beer brewed in the U.S., and the best of its type to me. Way better than Schliz or Pabst. I am surrounded by small breweries in N.C., but there are so many you'd have to drink a lot and a big variety to establish favorites.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
I used to drink for effect. While occupying army barracks, we'd stumble to the on post "shoppette" and get cases of Olympia in the can for $6. We'd joke how it was the only beer so bad, it says "Good Luck" right on the can. But, we sure put down a lot of it.

View attachment 21969

These days, I drink more for flavor and can hardly stand a canned domestic lager. My current infatuation is anything by Founder's, out of Michigan. We have some good local brews, also, but those Founders guys have their shit together.

View attachment 21970

View attachment 21968
Oly was one of the first beers I ever had,along with Rainer,and Hamms.At about 5 or 6 years old,my mother used to give sips of her beer on camping trips to Luther,Montana.Right then and there,I knew in the back of my mind,I would be a beer drinker later on in life.How correct I was.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I used to drink for effect. While occupying army barracks, we'd stumble to the on post "shoppette" and get cases of Olympia in the can for $6. We'd joke how it was the only beer so bad, it says "Good Luck" right on the can. But, we sure put down a lot of it.

View attachment 21969

These days, I drink more for flavor and can hardly stand a canned domestic lager. My current infatuation is anything by Founder's, out of Michigan. We have some good local brews, also, but those Founders guys have their shit together.

View attachment 21970

View attachment 21968
I'm which you 100% on Founders! I remember going to the Class 6 and they had a free 6 pack of Lone Star with any other beer purchase; no one would take it. You know a beer sucks when you can't even give it away to young soldiers! Six years stationed in Germany spoiled me on beers.

Reactions: Bengel

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had this a few weeks ago when I was in Mexico. It's one of my favorites to have when there.

IMG_20200314_125151388.jpg

It's a peanut stout. Flavor is a smooth creamy peanut butter over a medium strength stout without much bitterness.

Reactions: Moonbog and Bengel

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Boom Sauce. New England Brewing Sea Hag. I miss Pete's Wicked Ale, long gone and very different from the beers I drink nowadays. Drink mostly spirits these days anyhow, but so many great beers out there to enjoy. Cheers.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019

View attachment 21969

View attachment 21970

View attachment 21968
Jay do you remember these?
5EAECF7B-56F9-4E08-A9CE-9C8F42980A96.jpeg
93ECF80D-DCAA-44E0-90E6-6B22B86FFB11.jpeg
I seem to remember them at $2.49 for 24

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Basically one of the first from 1980
Sierra was one of the best then and it's still one of the best now. And Anchor is still top notch too. I remember way back in maybe 1992 or 1992 their Christmas ale was "Anchor Spruce" absolutely fantastic, but they've never done it since. Sadly.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.