PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've just started drinking beer again after surgery a little over a year ago. Since I still have to drink slow I go for more flavorful beers that hold up well over a variety of temperatures. Lots of good stuff out there that fits the bill.

Top choice for me, however, is Gouden Carolus Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw. It does have some fierce competition though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Haven't you beer guys ever heard, Liquor Is Quicker?
I drink Grey Goose Vodka as there are no hangovers and it goes down like water.
The only time I drink beer is between shots of Tequila and that is usually Dos Equis XX Dark. I might do that a couple of times a year. I don't drink anything like I used to back in the day.
I was never a beer lover. Back in h.s while every one was drinking beer, I was drinking Seagrems VO with ginger ale. It was what my mom drank so I got used to it at a young age.

Years ago while I was still a cigar smoker I got into vintage ports. Thankfully it didn't last long as that shit can get expensive.
I will still drink some good Champagne as many of the ladies enjoy that. My go to for that has been Veuve Clicquot Brut for many yeas. I also make a nice Kir Royals which the ladies enjoy. It is Champagne with creme de cassis it cuts the dryness of the Champagne just a tad but it is very popular.

When I think about what I s;pent on the ladies over the years I could have owned a Jess Chonowitsch. collection that would rival anyone's. I have no regrets my Rads and Ruthenbergs smoke just fine and I still got a ton of skirt.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Not a phase for me, I'm a Cicerone Certified Beer Server and I've managed and bartended a few breweries and craft taprooms over the last several years. Sour ales are my favorites, along with traditional funky Belgian styles such as Abbey ales and Saisons. Enjoyed a Westbrook Gose today. While I tend to favor European classic import examples of various craft brews, I really appreciate the American craft brewing movement and their attempts at classic styles as well as their own spins and interpretations! All that said, I'm no beer snob, currently enjoying an ice cold Keystone Light with pizza!

• Love
Reactions: supperthyme

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Not a phase for me, I'm a Cicerone Certified Beer Server and I've managed and bartended a few breweries and craft taprooms over the last several years. Sour ales are my favorites, along with traditional funky Belgian styles such as Abbey ales and Saisons. Enjoyed a Westbrook Gose today. While I tend to favor European classic import examples of various craft brews, I really appreciate the American craft brewing movement and their attempts at classic styles as well as their own spins and interpretations! All that said, I'm no beer snob, currently enjoying an ice cold Keystone Light with pizza!
wow Keystone that's a big difference.

Reactions: rushx9

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Haven't you beer guys ever heard, Liquor Is Quicker?
I drink Grey Goose Vodka as there are no hangovers and it goes down like water.
The only time I drink beer is between shots of Tequila and that is usually Dos Equis XX Dark. I might do that a couple of times a year. I don't drink anything like I used to back in the day.
I was never a beer lover. Back in h.s while every one was drinking beer, I was drinking Seagrems VO with ginger ale. It was what my mom drank so I got used to it at a young age.

Years ago while I was still a cigar smoker I got into vintage ports. Thankfully it didn't last long as that shit can get expensive.
I will still drink some good Champagne as many of the ladies enjoy that. My go to for that has been Veuve Clicquot Brut for many yeas. I also make a nice Kir Royals which the ladies enjoy. It is Champagne with creme de cassis it cuts the dryness of the Champagne just a tad but it is very popular.

When I think about what I s;pent on the ladies over the years I could have owned a Jess Chonowitsch. collection that would rival anyone's. I have no regrets my Rads and Ruthenbergs smoke just fine and I still got a ton of skirt.
I don't know; I can understand and I love gin but beer is it's own thing. I was thinking of getting into corn liquor(legal moonshine) I can't drink wine often, albeit I love a good port.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida

Rush, admit it you are a closet Bud drinker and it has to be warm to boot. Don't laugh, I had a girlfriend in h.s and her dad would only drink Old Milwaukee at room temp. Even when we were desperate to get a buzz we wouldn't drink that shit.
My oldest son who lives in Oakland is real big into the high quality beers, he starts talking and I don't have a clue. It is a pretty cool business that has been created in the last number of years, I wish I liked beer better.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
Since living in the Seattle area and now Colorado Springs, my wife have turned into huge beer snobs. As we currently have 40+ breweries within a 20 minute drive, it's gotten so bad that we really don't drink beer that isn't fresh off the tap from a microbrewery. It's a tough burden to bear. When I do drink beer at home, its usually a local microbrew "crowler" (32oz canned off tap), or if i'm grilling then it's a Hamm's, which is my warm weather/grilling standby.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
wow Keystone that's a big difference.
Yep. Kind of like the difference between beer and soda, which is how I think of it. Many brewers I know (and I know quite a few) are mega beer geeks and after a long day of brewing and sampling craft beer they come home and pound half a case of Miller lt. Pounding a half case of most full bodied craft brews can leave you feeling pretty rough! But sometimes you want to drink-drink, not just taste. I find there to be no contradiction in appreciating different things for what they are instead of what they're not. I mean, I enjoy small batch craft sodas with real sugar as well, Blenheim Ginger Ale for example, but I wont turn my nose up at Canada Dry if that's what's available. I don't ever drink Budweiser though. It has always given me an instant headache. PBR, Old Mil, Natty Bo', Highlife, and even a good ol' 'Stone are all excellent "lawnmower" beers. On the same page, I love and geek out about Gawith, Dunhill, and Germain's pipe blends, but will absolutely smoke a bowl of Sir Walter Raleigh if I'm in the mood for a cheap, thought free "Lawnmower" smoke.

Reactions: mikefu

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Rush, admit it you are a closet Bud drinker and it has to be warm to boot. Don't laugh, I had a girlfriend in h.s and her dad would only drink Old Milwaukee at room temp. Even when we were desperate to get a buzz we wouldn't drink that shit.
My oldest son who lives in Oakland is real big into the high quality beers, he starts talking and I don't have a clue. It is a pretty cool business that has been created in the last number of years, I wish I liked beer better.
Never Bud, but Old Mil' is real beer! Ingredients wise, it's mostly barley malt syrup, less corn than most other American options. A current fad in craft beer is making light American adjunct lagers. I can't help but laugh when I serve someone a $6 pint of light lager when I know the brewer goes home and chugs a Miller. Some folks are too hip for their own good!
Oh yeah, and their is a huge difference between Old Milwaukee and Milwaukee's Best - aka the Beast! Too many get those confused!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I used to drink for effect. While occupying army barracks, we'd stumble to the on post "shoppette" and get cases of Olympia in the can for $6. We'd joke how it was the only beer so bad, it says "Good Luck" right on the can. But, we sure put down a lot of it.

1583802523619.png

These days, I drink more for flavor and can hardly stand a canned domestic lager. My current infatuation is anything by Founder's, out of Michigan. We have some good local brews, also, but those Founders guys have their shit together.

1583802638129.png

1583802476893.jpeg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I used to drink for effect. While occupying army barracks, we'd stumble to the on post "shoppette" and get cases of Olympia in the can for $6. We'd joke how it was the only beer so bad, it says "Good Luck" right on the can. But, we sure put down a lot of it.

View attachment 21969

These days, I drink more for flavor and can hardly stand a canned domestic lager. My current infatuation is anything by Founder's, out of Michigan. We have some good local brews, also, but those Founders guys have their shit together.

View attachment 21970

View attachment 21968
Founders is one of the best breweries in the world. Ultra consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.