PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never played chess enough to be competent at it. I did beat my late wife in a poolside game on a miniature board in about six moves. I never decided if she didn't want to play and knew how to end the game, or if I struck a moment of talent. Likely the former. I had a friend at work, occasional lunch partner, who was a chess master in his 20's and 30's, and had "retired" to concentrate on the game "Go," another really subtle multi-layered competition. This guy was also very verbal, so that's why we had a good time yakking. We'd get some line of jokes going and couldn't quit. He had/has an interesting contrarian streak that sometimes rubbed colleagues wrong, but we got along well. He has a doctorate in biophysics but worked as a technical editor.
In junior high we had to have so many electives. I slacked off on getting any and ended up joining chess club. I sucked at the game. In fact I only beat one person, he was ranked pretty high in the state in our age group. He knew enough about the game to get flustered by the nonsense I threw his way, well until he realized by the next game that I had zero clue what I was doing and then would beat me in a few moves. Everyone else beat me every single time. Honestly I just hate that game I am too damn impatient for it.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I play mostly in Chess.com. Seldom in the local Chess club as well. I enjoy both playing and studying the game. Longer the time control, better my rating gets - I'm really not a blitz player. Just now I've been addicted to blindfold Chess at Lichess.org, and so I have a daily game there going, which I'm playing just using my visualization skills. The puzzles in Lichess are fun to do blindfolded as well.

A long game with a friend of mine remains only time I have smoked a bowl, refilled it, and kept on smoking. It reminds me of that Chess book My Memorable games... or something like that. :)

Reactions: lightxmyfire

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My friend just turned my on to an online chess site, and we've had an online game going for a few days. Seems like a nice contemplative activity that would pair well with a pipe.

As for the picture, it is supposedly one of Stalin's pipes, showing him playing chess with FDR.

View attachment 78799
I bet he photoshoped the carver out of pictures for capturing ghoulishness too well.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I too am on chess.com. I'm also by no means any "good" but I enjoy it. I have a game or two going with a couple of friends, one of whom is also a pipe guy. The 3-day setting is nice for taking your time and overthinking every move.

Playing online has given me the itch to get a board and play in person.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I prefer full-contact chess. I had a concussion most of last week, all because I tried to get cute and do a queenside castle!
In all seriousness, though...part of my morning routine is to do the "Daily Puzzle" on Chess.com. They've gotten a little more complex in the last month or so, which I appreciate. Used to be rather formulaic in nature--sacrifice a rook or a queen (usually the latter) to gain a positional advantage and land a quick mate. Much more varied now, and there's a mix of playing black and playing white (they used to have you playing white 95% of the time, which is no fun). Good way to get the ol' blob of grey matter prepped for another day!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just a casual player. Did beat "the best" player at local hang out once. It was a blitz and the cafe was closing. He probably was running low on caffeine.

Status
Not open for further replies.