Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never played chess enough to be competent at it. I did beat my late wife in a poolside game on a miniature board in about six moves. I never decided if she didn't want to play and knew how to end the game, or if I struck a moment of talent. Likely the former. I had a friend at work, occasional lunch partner, who was a chess master in his 20's and 30's, and had "retired" to concentrate on the game "Go," another really subtle multi-layered competition. This guy was also very verbal, so that's why we had a good time yakking. We'd get some line of jokes going and couldn't quit. He had/has an interesting contrarian streak that sometimes rubbed colleagues wrong, but we got along well. He has a doctorate in biophysics but worked as a technical editor.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I play chess the same way I play golf - I don't keep score.

There are very few people who enjoy playing golf with me. When I play, I always buy a fresh pack of balls and tees knowing I'll use most of them. When we get back to the club house, I'm happily smoking cigars and ordering Manhattans while they're trying to talk about what they needed to do better or why they didn't score the way they usually do.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
When I worked in North Saint Louis, a quasi gangster I knew well challenged a local chess champion who was a bit of an arrogant asshole to a game of chess, They met at the park to play. A teacher who worked at our school went to see the match. The gangster put his gun on the table halfway through the game and started reciting the addresses of relatives of the chess champion before the champion made each move. Needless to say. he won the game. I think about that story a lot. When someone tells me they are a champion or that such and such is a champion, it gives me pause to wonder just who or what a champion is.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I used to play a lot when I was young. I like them game, and still play on occasion, but am far from what anyone would describe as "a chess player"

It is a fun contemplative activity though, and would undoubtedly pair well with a pipe IMO.

Reactions: lightxmyfire
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I do enjoy playing the computer on the chess.com app. If I set it to about 1100, I win most of the time. If I bump it to 1300 I get creamed almost every time. ?‍♂️
I never could really “see the board,” but I enjoy it nonetheless.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
I played a lot through school and college, but have never really embraced online chess. I occasionally play friends when I’m back home, but that’s about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.