PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several full bent pipes that take a pipe cleaner, but none of them are Petersons. It's never caused me a concern. I pipe cleaner the stems and the part of the shank that is reachable, and occasionally I take the pipe apart and get the airway from both sides. I don't expect a piece of wire to make a U turn except by chance. My lack of quality control issues with Peterson could relate to my buying mid and lower range Petes, which seem to have a simplicity that doesn't create problems.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I really don't get the passes a pipe cleaner thing. Especially since the part of the pipe that gets the dirtiest seems to be the mortise and you have to take the stem out to swab that anyways. The only pipe I have that I can't easily get a pipe cleaner through has two bends not the standard one. Or in other words you could pass a pipe cleaner through that with practice and ease.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Early on I found Peterson dipping a sure sign of corner cutting that I could not abide. So when I read that they can't drill I'm not surprised. They do this, but it's ok, and they do that, and it's ok, too.

No, the drilling is the most important determinant for a pipe to smoke well. Peterson is a dog of a company, and I never even came close to buying one of their pipes.

• Sad
Reactions: edger

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Early on I found Peterson dipping a sure sign of corner cutting that I could not abide. So when I read that they can't drill I'm not surprised. They do this, but it's ok, and they do that, and it's ok, too.

No, the drilling is the most important determinant for a pipe to smoke well. Peterson is a dog of a company, and I never even came close to buying one of their pipes.
They can drill fine on dead center like lately. And I guess that's OK too. But I like the way they did before with deep mortise. With dead center drill, they made the mortise shallower. I guess that makes sense, but I like my moisture to collect in mortise than the chamber.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
But for one thing you should know how bent pipes are drilled before attempting to call someone out for it.
I have 3 Savinelli 673's which are essentially bent to the same angle that the 999 is yet the hole is drilled in the center of the mortise. Some pipes are different than other pipes I'm wagering. But again, the hostility is super helpful and much appreciated.

Reactions: seanv and craig61a
For the record, Brobs is a Peterson aficionado. I don't know many that are as Peterson crazy as he is. However, he is a youngster, with a hip lingo, but I didn't sense any hostility about his posts. You just have to read them as if a very nice hipster is trying to communicate with you. It took me some getting used to, but he means well.
Take it for what it's worth...

I on the other hand don't like Petersons, and I would never own one of those cheap godawful looking pipes. I'm just old and hostile though, ha ha. Brobs is not. puffy

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Its normal. I have a full bent Rossi that is drilled exactly the same way. The technique makes a little well at the end of the mortise which collects moisture. Also as another poster stated, that's the way it had to be drilled to meet the bottom of the chamber correctly. Looking at the pictures, its actually drilled quite well.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a couple Petersons that are off-centered. They smoke great, but I can’t run a pipe cleaner without disassembling them... Not a big deal, but it can be frustrating sometimes, particularly when I’m feeling lazy ?

Reactions: anotherbob

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have 3 Savinelli 673's which are essentially bent to the same angle that the 999 is yet the hole is drilled in the center of the mortise. Some pipes are different than other pipes I'm wagering. But again, the hostility is super helpful and much appreciated.

Some bent pipes are drilled with the draft hole appearing centered at the front of the mortise. There is often a circular cut at the back of the mortise drilling where the drill removes material because the upward angle of the bit.

I would have to say that in my experience many bent pipes I have seen are drilled similarly to what you have with the 999, the draft hole being at the 12 o’clock position or into the mortise wall. This really has little detriment to the smokeability in my experience.

I have approximately 60 Peterson’s; It’s a brand that I have appreciated for over 30 years. Like any brand, there are quirks that are specific to the brand.

If the drilling is an issue that concerns you, then I guess sending it back is probably the only option that can resolve it.

As for the obnoxious comments, that seems to be the way that this board is going lately. I wouldn’t let it get to you. As the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everybody’s got one... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.