Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I too am local in Phoenix and stopped by ye olde pipe a couple weeks ago only to find the inside being remodeled. I went to stag today and was told by an employee that the landlord raised their rent significantly so the owner (Rick) decided to close. All their inventory was transferred to the two stag locations, and he is committed to keeping them open. I do buy online, but it’s nice to buy local and help keep them open. Occasionally they do get some good shipments in of stuff that online is hardly ever available and sells out almost instantly. I got an 8 oz bag of pembroke in September and am thoroughly enjoying it. Hope this info helps the locals, I’ve been a reader for a while but registered when I saw this topic.
That’s what I suspected. Thanks for the info! I feel the same way re: helping to keep these places in business. I always used to stop by Ye Olde on my way up to Sedona or Flagstaff, and from now on I’ll just swing over and drop by Stag, which is even more convenient due to the location right off the 17.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I too am local in Phoenix and stopped by ye olde pipe a couple weeks ago only to find the inside being remodeled. I went to stag today and was told by an employee that the landlord raised their rent significantly so the owner (Rick) decided to close. All their inventory was transferred to the two stag locations, and he is committed to keeping them open. I do buy online, but it’s nice to buy local and help keep them open. Occasionally they do get some good shipments in of stuff that online is hardly ever available and sells out almost instantly. I got an 8 oz bag of pembroke in September and am thoroughly enjoying it. Hope this info helps the locals, I’ve been a reader for a while but registered when I saw this topic.
Also, welcome to the forums! Hope to see you around on here!

Reactions: edger and Toast
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
While I want to know this information, every time I hear these stories they just depress me a bit more.

Seems that soon there won't be a Tobacconist, Bowling Center, Pool Hall, Dog Race Track, or Massage Parlor left standing anywhere.

Where the heck do they expect a retired guy to go for relaxation and pleasure these days? - Sherm Natman

Enjoyment is bad, my shermy brotha.

• Haha
Reactions: edger

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I had no Idea they were gone. I live pretty close to the Stag location near the Metro Center mall, so that is where I usually go, but I had stopped by Ye olde pipe and tobacco shoppe on occasion and they always seemed to have a larger selection of pipes and tobaccos then their sister stores. I hope that they find a new location and make a return. The Stag stores are really all we have for legit B&M in the Phoenix area, so I try to give them as much of my business as I can.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Sad as well about Ye Olde, but Stag Scottsdale is much closer. They have a very good selection now of pipe tobacco. Rick and staff are very very knowledgable and helpful. Also a great selection of cigars.

Pricing I think is fair. I buy tins when visiting the store, if I’m not getting cigars. They still have really nice pipes and always a good selection. I too buy online, but like most of us like to support the local business and pay them for their expertise.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Bad news. I have been looking quite a bit making the move to AZ, was hoping a good pipe shop would be easy to find. Sounds like it was until recently
Stag still has two locations in the PHX area. Same ownership as Ye Olde, and a good selection as well. AZ is a pretty cool state!
It’s truly unfortunate, it’s becoming a harder business to operate profitably in some states due to over regulation and tax increases.
While this is certainly the case in some situations, this was not the case here. Ye Olde closed because of a lease dispute/price hike with their landlords.
Sad as well about Ye Olde, but Stag Scottsdale is much closer. They have a very good selection now of pipe tobacco. Rick and staff are very very knowledgable and helpful. Also a great selection of cigars.

Pricing I think is fair. I buy tins when visiting the store, if I’m not getting cigars. They still have really nice pipes and always a good selection. I too buy online, but like most of us like to support the local business and pay them for their expertise.
I’m hoping to drop by Stag this weekend when we drive through PHX on our way back from Utah. Glad to hear a good report!

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
There seems to be quite a few properties offering very appealing things to me...like a dirt yard that doesn't need mowing, and no snow
Yes! One of the best moments in our move here from Minnesota was when I sold the lawnmower. Left the snow shovel for the new owners. Get a place with a pool, though, and you’ll do just as much work. :LOL:

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
There seems to be quite a few properties offering very appealing things to me...like a dirt yard that doesn't need mowing, and no snow
You think your dirt yard is all good and then it rains one single time and half the yard is covered in weeds. I guess its easy enough to spray them, but still annoying. No snow is a big plus though. I lived in Connecticut and New Hampshire for a few years and I absolutely hated dealing with the snow and ice.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
You think your dirt yard is all good and then it rains one single time and half the yard is covered in weeds. I guess its easy enough to spray them, but still annoying. No snow is a big plus though. I lived in Connecticut and New Hampshire for a few years and I absolutely hated dealing with the snow and ice.
Haha! So true. It’s amazing how just a little rain makes plants go nuts in the desert. But still way better than the 4-6 times/month mowings necessary in the Midwest.

Reactions: edger and Ethan

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The last time I bought a pipe locally was a couple years ago at Rich Lewis’ shop. Prior to that, it’s been over 20 years. There used to be a dozen or more places around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area which are now gone, and have been for quite a few years. Cigar shops/lounges have increased marginally,

• Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.