PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I was up in Phoenix the other day getting my second Covid-19 vaccination shot (My wife and I are educators), and I decided to swing past my favorite tobacconist in the area, Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco Shoppe, to pick up a few things as it was the best shop in the state of Arizona, in my opinion. Drove over to find that the shop was empty and permanently closed. All I can find online is that they may have lost their lease. AFAICS, their two sister shops, Stag Tobacconist, with shops in north Phoenix and Scottsdale, are still open, but Ye Olde is CLOSED. A damn shame too, as that shop had the largest selection of pipes I've ever seen and a very respectable selection of pipe tobacco. I presume that they moved their inventory over to the other shops, but I won't be able to get back up there for a few weeks now. If you're in the Phoenix area and looking for tobacco, don't go to Ye Olde on 24th St. It's not there any longer! :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That is a shock. We had a favorite Mexican restaurant in the large mall nearby and not only found it closed, but found its location completely walled over, not boarded up but plastered and painted in. The Tinder Box in the same mall at least had the front boarded up in plywood before it opened as something else. That's where I bought my first pipe. I should check to see if Tinder Box relocated to the next city over. I'm in denial that my local independent pipe shop will ever close, so I'm afraid to go see.

• Sad
Reactions: BROBS and musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Not the check cashing crack den in my town....
There's still plenty of those around, especially in Tucson. I mean, I don't begrudge those who need their vape supplies and cheap glass pipes, but can I get a tin or two of something decent?
There is a Stag Tobaccanist in Colorado Springs. I wonder if they are related?
I'm not sure, but I don't believe so. Stag here in Phoenix only lists the three locations in Arizona on their website. Stag in Colorado Springs seems like a great store though! I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in the area.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Damn. Whenever I was in Phoenix I’d swing in to Ye Olde and grab something.

Funny story, the first time I went in, the guy behind the counter (tatted up blonde guy and I can’t remember his name) was kinda being a jerk. I told him I’m here for some tobacco, not to listen to a pretentious douche. He told me to F$&k off. We both laughed and got along.

I was always in Phoenix for work so I never sat in their nice lounge and meant to on several occasions. That’s off my list now

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
I hit one of the Stag locations on Sunday. I happened to be driving through Phoenix on my way back to Tucson, and I thought it would be nice to grab a tin or two in the flesh.

The prices were so absurdly high that I had to leave everything right where I found it.

Reactions: BROBS

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I hit one of the Stag locations on Sunday. I happened to be driving through Phoenix on my way back to Tucson, and I thought it would be nice to grab a tin or two in the flesh.

The prices were so absurdly high that I had to leave everything right where I found it.
Well crap. How high? At Ye Olde prices were higher than internet prices (of course) but still quite reasonable. As I recall, 2 oz tins of GL Pease were about 16 bucks and I picked up my first tin of Old Gowrie for 25 (100 grams). They also had a quite respectable bulk selection for about 4 bucks an oz.

The ACE on my side of town, with its meager selection of pipe tobacco, has raised prices substantially in the past 18 months. 50 gram tins that used to be 15 now go for 25 bucks. Taxes haven’t increased so it’s purely mark-up. Sad to see that Stag is headed that way as well.

Reactions: BROBS

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Well crap. How high? At Ye Olde prices were higher than internet prices (of course) but still quite reasonable. As I recall, 2 oz tins of GL Pease were about 16 bucks and I picked up my first tin of Old Gowrie for 25 (100 grams). They also had a quite respectable bulk selection for about 4 bucks an oz.

The ACE on my side of town, with its meager selection of pipe tobacco, has raised prices substantially in the past 18 months. 50 gram tins that used to be 15 now go for 25 bucks. Taxes haven’t increased so it’s purely mark-up. Sad to see that Stag is headed that way as well.
The Pease tins were about $16, so the prices haven't gone up at least. Just about everything they had was 2-3x as much as I typically pay online. I know they have extra expenses to cover, but so do I.

How is the place in Tucson near the Zin Burger on River?

Reactions: musicman

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
The Pease tins were about $16, so the prices haven't gone up at least. Just about everything they had was 2-3x as much as I typically pay online. I know they have extra expenses to cover, but so do I.

How is the place in Tucson near the Zin Burger on River?
The ACE (Anthony's Cigar Emporium)? It's pretty terrible for pipe tobacco. I've been in there once. They had 5-10 Stokkebye bulk blends and that was it. The ACE on Oracle near my place on the NW side is somewhat better, with a small selection of tins. I'll pick up something from them from time to time, but the prices are way high these days (25 bucks for a tin of Elizabethan, for instance).

I'll pay a decent premium over online prices to buy in person on occasion. I get it. Rent is expensive. Wages are expensive. In many states taxes are expensive (not here in Arizona...our pipe and cigar taxes are pretty low). There are many reasons they can't really offer online prices (which I believe are pretty close to wholesale), but I do want these places to stay in business. However, when they charge 2.5 times the online price, and it's mostly mark-up, and they keep their overstock tins in the corner of the cigar humidor where they rust because it's way too moist, it makes it hard to support them!

Reactions: Toast

jrharrigan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
The ACE (Anthony's Cigar Emporium)? It's pretty terrible for pipe tobacco. I've been in there once. They had 5-10 Stokkebye bulk blends and that was it. The ACE on Oracle near my place on the NW side is somewhat better, with a small selection of tins. I'll pick up something from them from time to time, but the prices are way high these days (25 bucks for a tin of Elizabethan, for instance).

I'll pay a decent premium over online prices to buy in person on occasion. I get it. Rent is expensive. Wages are expensive. In many states taxes are expensive (not here in Arizona...our pipe and cigar taxes are pretty low). There are many reasons they can't really offer online prices (which I believe are pretty close to wholesale), but I do want these places to stay in business. However, when they charge 2.5 times the online price, and it's mostly mark-up, and they keep their overstock tins in the corner of the cigar humidor where they rust because it's way too moist, it makes it hard to support them!
I am with you 100% on every point you make here

Reactions: musicman

blab77

Lurker
Mar 15, 2021
I too am local in Phoenix and stopped by ye olde pipe a couple weeks ago only to find the inside being remodeled. I went to stag today and was told by an employee that the landlord raised their rent significantly so the owner (Rick) decided to close. All their inventory was transferred to the two stag locations, and he is committed to keeping them open. I do buy online, but it’s nice to buy local and help keep them open. Occasionally they do get some good shipments in of stuff that online is hardly ever available and sells out almost instantly. I got an 8 oz bag of pembroke in September and am thoroughly enjoying it. Hope this info helps the locals, I’ve been a reader for a while but registered when I saw this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.