PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Peck: I bet you'll find something from P&W that you like. Carole does it right, no goop to be found in her blends.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I keep hearing about P&W on this thread, and I must sadly say that I no nothing of P&W. What does it stand for?

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
leaving aside Harris's startling admission that he is the only heterosexual man (or so he claims) in the world who professes to love Champagne, I wish I loved aromatics.
:rofl:
Not to open myself to massive flaming and gnashing of teeth but Scotch has never touched my lips. What am I missing? I'd love to try some.

- Signed, the hopeless Aro non-Scott Drinker

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
zonomo, no one is born loving the taste of Scotch, it is an acquired taste that takes a long time to get to enjoy.
When I was a teenager and everyone was drinking beer, I would drink Seagrams VO and ginger ale, I hated beer. I liked the taste of Canadian Whiskey, but hated Scotch. Why that is I have no idea. I can drink Crown Royal but any kind off Scotch makes me gag. Scotch is an expensive hobby and if you are willing to sacrifice buying pipe tobacco and pipes, then go for it. I personally would rather have an estate Rad Davis pipe that lasts forever than 4 bottles of Mac 18.
Now in regards to my love of Champagne, it is a well known fact that real men drink bubbly and only bourgeois, pseudo intellectuals enjoy Scotch.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I also will get a headache if I do not follow the following rules. I always take some Ibuprofen before I begin drinking it and I always drink a few large glasses of water when I am done drinking the bubbly and a few more glasses before bed. That has worked well for me for years.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Button Bay is an extremely strong english with a very pronounced oriental flavour, I would not recommend it for people starting out to try an english moving from aromatics. It reminds me alot of billy budd minus the cigar leaf, and billy budd is some super strong stuff, I love english blends but find both of those 2 way too strong for me as a daily smoke. On the subject of scotch it's a huge variety, people that say scotch makes them gag just haven't tried the right scotch, like if you like canadian whisky, you'd probably love highland park.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Ron Burgundy drinks Scotch -- that's reason enough for me to avoid it.
I drink Bourbon.
As for the OP -- try Egg Nog from H&H. I'm not that big on aros, but this is a good one from Russ. I know, Egg Nog and tobacco, ewww -- it doesn't really taste like Egg Nog. It smells like the Holidays and isn't real goopy.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@zonomo I feel your pain, I really find it hard to cross over from aro's to non-aros. I enjoy a mild latakia on occasion, but mostly I just enjoy smoking good aromatics. I do always get the sneaky feeling that ...certain... people around here look down their noses and pipes on the aromatic smokers.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Personally, I LOVE the smell of Aromatic tobacco. Most of the old-timers I've ever seen or know seemed to smoke them exclusively, including my grand-uncle. I just love the smell. The only reason I don't smoke them exclusively is that there isn't one with enough nicotine, and even beefing them up with 5 brothers still doesn't do the trick for me...and I've tried. That said, I truly enjoy and smoke the hell out of Ennerdale flake and many other lakelands, and one could argue that they are aromatics. People around me usually like the smell very much. Well, except Condor. That one has killed a few small animals that unwittingly got a lungful of my smoke.
I don't go much for Latakia blends, either. Like cigars, they all taste basically the same to me, and I don't like very much. They're okay...but I'd just rather smoke something else.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Well, as for Zonomo's original statement, I smoked strictly aromatics for 25 years until I tried some 965. Now I can't get enough of Latakia, and once I figured out a way to enjoy Virginia's I smoke one daily. The trick for me was to start with a clean pipe and a clean palate, so that I could get the nuances of a perticular blend. I still enjoy aromatics, but there is a whole world of tobacco to try. Life is too short to limit oneself.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
How about trying a "crossover" blend like Frog Morton Cellar or On The Town. Some sweetness, creamy, hints of Latakia.
Scotch is an expensive hobby
Harris, Scotch "can" be an expensive hobby but doesn't need to be. Andrew hit the nail on the head, Highland Park 12 can be had for about $29 on sale. A wee dram now and then and that bottle will last a year or more.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm leaving for France on Thursday and we drink champagne at least a few nights a week. Sometimes Kir, as Harris described. Good champagne does jot give me a headache. As for Scotch....sorry boys, not my drink, either...thankfully as it's expensive. I much prefer beer, wine, wild turkey, gin, or vodka, in that order.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I do always get the sneaky feeling that ...certain... people around here look down their noses and pipes on the aromatic smokers.
I think thats why I am trying so hard but I'm getting over it.... :mrgreen:

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I personally have only one aromatic I enjoy...amphora full aroma...but the pain in the ass of getting it in the USA is not worth it. Duty free has it in UK if anyone travels or has friends traveling oversees.
Aromatic pipe tobacco is the bread and butter of the pipe tobacco industry...and far outnumber Va and lat smokers...more power to them...I do not enjoy them and some may say I am snobbish....but at the end of the day, we are all involved in the same relaxing ritual. I feel pipe smokers go against the current flow of modern "what can I consume and experience now as fast as possible look at me new new better better (with the exception of pad lol)....and this outlook makes me not care what the hell someone puts in their tobacco pipe. Brothers and sisters.. smoke what you like and love what you smoke

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
When I was a kid I never knew anyone who smoked anything but an aromatic. I myself preferred cigars, and one could smoke in college classrooms (not lecture halls) in those days, but I was soundly booed by all the girls in class for "the stench". I never could stand cigarettes, and the prof smoked a pipe, so I asked if that would be ok and everyone agreed. There was a tobacco store on my way walking home and their window display was intriguing, so I figured I'd check it out before going to the drugstore for a Dr. Grabow and a pouch of Carter Hall. They had a row of glass apothecary jars with tobacco, and I took a whiff of each one. All of a sudden my nose was affronted by the sourest reeking stench. It was like how the grass catcher bag of my dad's lawn mower smelled after being locked in a hot shed for a week. I asked the tobacconist wtf was it, and he said "It's called an English Blend". "Does the smoke smell as bad as the jar?" I asked. "Yup," he replied. "How can anyone smoke it without puking?" I asked. "It tastes a lot better than it smells, but it's an acquired taste," he said. Remembering the snooty girls in my class making me stop smoking cigars, I walked out with a bag of English and a group 5 Charatan. The rest of the semester I enjoyed that English blend almost as much as the greenish pallor of the faces of those girls in class.
That said, my personal taste is with an aromatic, although not anything sickly sweet or fruity. Just a nice black shag cut with a subtle hint of vanilla is fine. I still like an English, but mainly as a change of taste when my aromatic starts to get boring. After a bowl or two of English the aromatic has all its flavor back.
Oh and liquor...vodka neet with water back. It's the only alcoholic beverage that doesn't make me sick.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yikes you guys are lucky, Highland park is 60$ here in Canada. I would drink that everyday if I could get it for 30$. I also really like dewars white label for cheaper scotch, but my favourite for bang for your buck is the black grouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.