Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah, I knew a certain amount of that was coming, but whatever. The main thing is the consensus is Galco, by a wide margin. That BugBite is interesting and only a third of the price, but the Galco seems proven. Now to find some ammo, though I do have one box of Critical Defense to tide me over. Thanks to all for their input.
Look at what Underwood and Pilgram have to offer...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Over the calf socks is my recommendation. I always found something between the skin and rig is a help. I preferred a bit of sheepskin, sheared, between me and the leather. But, leather is hard to find these days. I'm guessing the man-made stuff is cheaper to make as opposed to shrinking/molding leather. Keep in mind I'm an old guy with a preference for leather.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Why? I've been carrying since I was a rookie back in '66 and found that in certain circumstances an ankle carry is perfect. I usually wear boots so, it's not often an option. But, if you know and practice a "falling" draw it's fast and offers only a moving target. Also, if speed is of the essence, you let your guard down. Constant awareness is mandatory. There's a lot more to carrying a weapon than . . . Well, carrying a weapon and feeling secure.

I know a lot of coppers and former officers who only carry at the ankle. So, again, why is it a bad choice?
I suppose if you aren’t the subject of the threat/attack and you have hard cover, and are concealed away from the suspects view…an ankle holster is okay.

Otherwise there’s no natural looking way to draw or present it. Even a falling draw. I carry my revolver in my pocket, and my others I carry IWB in appendix or at 5-ish o’clock.

I apologize for sounding like an ass. Im just a bit passionate about this.

So I will adjust my comment. If you need a place to store the gun on your person, knowing it will be a slow compromising draw…then go for it.

If you are wanting to engage a threat quickly and accurately then you need to carry at the waist, or pocket.

Let’s be honest. A snubby is a belly gun meant to create distance and do close personal defense . You’re not taking long shots. It’s a gun for up close I can touch you with my hands stuff.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose if you aren’t the subject of the threat/attack and you have hard cover, and are concealed away from the suspects view…an ankle holster is okay.
What do you base this on?

Slow? Why? It's the surprise, the evasive movement and a killing shot. No different than any other close encounter. As I said, there is a reason they are referred to as "belly guns." If you don't know how to use an ankle holster and practice a few times each time put it on, don't bother but, that's what one should do every time they strap on, slip into a pocket, etc. Empty the weapon and work your muscle memory a bit, each and every day. Without fail.

I'm not sure exactly what a "natural" draw is, especially in a totally unnatural circumstance. Most here are writing from a position of never having "been there," imagining what such a situation will be like. Facing an armed assailant, ball bat, knife, fire arm, whatever, you are at a disadvantage as you have to assess the threat while your assailant has already made a decision to do you harm. Probably made that decision before he left his abode.

I taught "officer survival" for years. I've formerly assessed hundreds of officer involved shootings and, with the great assistance of officers around the country, helped to developed methods to improve survival. I've confronted armed threats.

Six or ten feet, not close enough to touch is in the average. If I can touch the assailant I probably wouldn't need to draw a weapon. There are other responses, some where the assailant stabs or shoots himself with his/her own weapon. No, an ankle carry can be safe and fast. Just as a weapon in a pocket, without practice, can be clumsy and undependable and . . . unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.