PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Guy asks for a recommendation and all of a sudden everybody’s Massad Ayoob up in here…rotf
It did shift from holster to firearm pretty quick… firearms and pipes share many things in common. Digression and opinion run rampant!

Reactions: Latakia Dave

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ankle is a bad choice.
Why? I've been carrying since I was a rookie back in '66 and found that in certain circumstances an ankle carry is perfect. I usually wear boots so, it's not often an option. But, if you know and practice a "falling" draw it's fast and offers only a moving target. Also, if speed is of the essence, you let your guard down. Constant awareness is mandatory. There's a lot more to carrying a weapon than . . . Well, carrying a weapon and feeling secure.

I know a lot of coppers and former officers who only carry at the ankle. So, again, why is it a bad choice?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Guy asks for a recommendation and all of a sudden everybody’s Massad Ayoob up in here…
Yup, many here have short attention spans and can't resist high jacking a thread to a subject more to their liking. It doesn't matter if its holsters, pipes, pipe maintenance, cars and trucks, you name it and it's subject to taking a hard turn.

RIP threads are notorious. Some respondents can't help bad mouthing the dead rather than simply moving to another thread.

We can be a hostile bunch if our sensibilities are ruffled.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Guy asks for a recommendation and all of a sudden everybody’s Massad Ayoob up in here…rotf
Yeah, I knew a certain amount of that was coming, but whatever. The main thing is the consensus is Galco, by a wide margin. That BugBite is interesting and only a third of the price, but the Galco seems proven. Now to find some ammo, though I do have one box of Critical Defense to tide me over. Thanks to all for their input.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ankle carry is not for me, but I've seen some rapid deployment by people who practice it. And if it is indeed "backup" and not primary carry, it makes a lot of sense. If you practice with it.

This time of year I IWB carry something big and backup with a pocket .380. My real primary defense is to stay the hell away from trouble. Don't be the stupid person doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places at stupid times. But, sometimes, trouble comes looking for you, and there's no avoiding it.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Yeah, I knew a certain amount of that was coming, but whatever. The main thing is the consensus is Galco, by a wide margin. That BugBite is interesting and only a third of the price, but the Galco seems proven. Now to find some ammo, though I do have one box of Critical Defense to tide me over. Thanks to all for their input.
Hornady? What's wrong with you? +P or regular, how many grains? Why aren't you using Federal or Speer? Those are too heavy for your ankle - better just load two! :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I really liked this

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I know, I know, us old folks don't know nothin. Which end of the barrel do you hold again ? :ROFLMAO:
Haha, I know you aren't complaining, but I like the thread side roads - usually they're relevant (and fair enough to @warren, that's not always the case) to something related to the topic and I learn something I didn't know or at least trigger some more research.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
An excellent read

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
An excellent read
This guy is so scared every day of his life. Haha how pathetic.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
This guy is so scared every day of his life. Haha how pathetic.
Well, since you seem so well versed on everything from hemorrhoids to hurricanes, perhaps you could expand on your answer and enlighten us as to your extensive resume in this area, and point to some articles you've published to help us understand...

waiting.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.