PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
They stare at me either way, with mouths frequently wide open in astonishment, as if I'm an alien that just stepped off of a spaceship.
Really shake them up and put on a Giant Turtle costume, spin in circles, and BLOW the smoke out your ass! They will be looking for Godzilla to show up next... :rofl:

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Being a foreigner in China myself, it is already in itself a HUGE reason to stare.

The thing that probably unsettles foreigners about that, is the fact Chinese people don't feel that their staring might causes embarrassment. They just want to look. They don't see any problem with that, and being honest, only us find a problem in it.
Now if you add, the "giant" and "red hair" factors ... well you're not giving them much chances, do you ?
Haha, to be honest, 6" tall red hair guy in HK ... I don't think people even saw your pipe at all.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I got stared at smoking my pipe one time but finally realized my Pants were unzipped.
So that's what is meant by a pipe with an open drawers...got it... :rofl:

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
see the way to stop people from staring at you, is by sitting outside in your porch smoking a pipe, and grabing your rifle or shotgun and calmly start cleaning it, trust me people will avoid eye contact.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Living in a foreign country myself, I feel being a foreigner kind of gives me license to be different. Perhaps the onlookers are fascinated with you rather than astonished. I smoke with pride, it's my heritage, and if it makes people stare, well I hope they enjoy the view!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
see the way to stop people from staring at you, is by sitting outside in your porch smoking a pipe, and grabing your rifle or shotgun and calmly start cleaning it, trust me people will avoid eye contact.
:rofl:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Whenever someone older sees me smoking a pipe they smile like the world is going to be okay.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
I remember one morning walking through Piccadilly Circus in a suit, overcoat and trilby whilst smoking my pipe, only to be pinned in position and photographed by a bus-load of Japanese tourists

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I get all kinds of looks, as though I'm insane or something every time I've got my pipe out in public. Apparently nudity is illegal in Alabama and I should "keep my pipe in pants" or "put that thing away". Society is so uptight.

Aug 14, 2012
I don't smoke a pipe on the street or in a car any more, even in the little NY State town where I live. People assume it it weed.

Heck Foggy, they'd probably just think your a wizard, roll with it, ha ha.

Yeh, Growing up with bright red hair, I've always gotten stares, even folks coming up just to rub my damn head. Younger, I wished my red hair would go away, but as I get older, I just keep hoping it keeps hanging on. My pipe, well, I live for stares now. It gives me a chance to smile and wave. Folks will set down to talk to me. Ask to sniff my smoke. It definitely gives me many opportunity to meet new folks and make friends. I see it as a good thing. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.