PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
I have been walking around Hong Kong and China the last week...lunting, like you do.....and I have been stared at like the bearded lady. Now, I grant that I am at least 6" taller than anyone and I have red hair, but it is the pipe that causes the ruckus. People stare at me like they have never seen a person smoke a pipe before. And then a coworker (local) confirmed that he had never seen a pipe before; let alone a westerner smoking one.
As if I didn't stick out enough?

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
People love to look at "Westerners" in China. When I first arrived I could feel everybody's eyes on me, but after 8 years I hardly notice anymore.
What parts of China are you visiting?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Well now, I think there's more going on than meets the eye. I have been to Hong Kong once, but I'm no area expert. Yes, the Chinese do notice Westerners, although Hong Kong as a former British Crown Colony isn't exactly virgin territory. Pipes are not common, so yes, there is a sideshow effect with that, plus a tall red-headed guy smoking one. There's another undercurrent. The Brits imposed the opium trade on the Chinese even engaging in the opium wars to enforce their market for opium in China. The Chinese were humiliated and still are horrified by this intrusion by a foreign drug cartel. So though a tobacco pipe is not an opium pipe, I think to the long memory of the Chinese people, especially Hong Kong people who are not so regimented and isolated from open historical discussion, being a port city, and still being burdened with levels of addiction and drug trade, a pipe might not be an altogether happy sight.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Hell, I also get stared at a lot here in the U.S. while sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe.

Then again, I'm not really at all sure if it's the pipe, or that I'm wearing nothing but my Stetson Cattleman hat and Spider Man underwear.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
How'd you know I thought people were watching me?!?! Are you watching me watch people watching me?!?! They can see me through my television and the cameras on my computers... sometimes I sit completely and utterly still for hours on end so that They think their monitors have frozen. Can you see me now?!? Which finger am I holding up?

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Nate, we all know you're watching everyone on your street with your doorbell ringer thing.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My mom, intrepid world traveler, god rest her soul, visited China not too long after Nixon's illustrious visit... she and a friend of hers. The decided they wanted to attend The People's Democratic Republic of China's People's Democratic Opera/House etc. At the intermission, they needed a trip to the "powder room" and entered to find ca 30 or 40 sloped holes in the floor with raised tiled bricks on either side of the holes for feet. No partitions, no doors, no rails, and not any other caucasian/American women within a million miles. Well, she was indeed intrepid and figgered when you gotta go, you gotta go, and so she and her traveling companion did, and the rest of the many women in the restroom ALL stopped and watched, for at least a few seconds anyway. I'd rather have them stop and watch me smoke a pipe.(and not in the women's room, for clarification.)

only5t

Lurker
May 3, 2016
I am from nanjing China.I think they stared at you just because few people smoke pipes in China.when I smoking pipe outside,there is always someone stare at me,or ask me about what kind of tobacco i smoking. :D

amphora

Lurker
May 27, 2016
I have been walking around Hong Kong and China the last week...lunting, like you do.....and I have been stared at like the bearded lady. Now, I grant that I am at least 6" taller than anyone and I have red hair, but it is the pipe that causes the ruckus. People stare at me like they have never seen a person smoke a pipe before. And then a coworker (local) confirmed that he had never seen a pipe before; let alone a westerner smoking one.
As if I didn't stick out enough?
Lol. I know the feeling. Try smoking a pipe as a Westerner in a smaller city or town in Japan. It's probably even worse than what you describe. They stare at me either way, with mouths frequently wide open in astonishment, as if I'm an alien that just stepped off of a spaceship. So I figure 'what the hell' as I light up. :lol:
In the bigger cities, Japanese people pretty much ignore Western foreigners, because they are a more common sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.