PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
F119A8A9-584C-4CBC-B0A6-93A053F0AF7B.jpeg
New poster saying hey, piping in California at the present moment. Enjoying some Robert McConnell 'Scottish Cake' out of the Eltang devil anse before braising some meats for the week. Watching Trey and the boyz doing the thing in the olden days.

I started smoking a pipe in the early aughts. Loved Orlik, Escudo and started to dip my feet into Latakia-laden blends on the advice of a literature professor pal who gave me a sample of Boswells 'Northwoods' and told me that I needed to eventually smoke a Dunhill. Eventually, I quit tobacco for what I thought to be valid health reasons.

That professor passed away at the end of last year. We never really kept in touch but he had such a profound impact on me. I was wanting to reach out to him when I discovered the obituary online. Part of my grieving process involved finally buying myself that Dunhill, a handsome group 2 saddle billiard from the 60's that smokes like a dream.

I am a few months into this rekindled love affair and it feels good to be back. I missed the stimulation that can come from exploring flavor and connecting with folks over a shared fascination.

I'd be eager to hear some of your stories about the folks who mentored you and gave you inspiration in your fledgeling years.

Rest in Power Dan Emerson.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, from central North Carolina. My dad smoked only one pipe until burn-out, and then bought another. He smoked from right after breakfast to bedtime. He only smoked Granger from a pouch. He smoked his pipe as the skipper of a minesweeper during WWII in the Philippines. He died at 89 licensed to drive without glasses. When I finally bought a pipe in my thirties, I had all of the moves down cold, imprinted in muscle memory by years of observing him.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
View attachment 85248
Greetings from El Paso. I remember when I first saw Phish back in 95’ at Waterloo, NJ. Great show, though my I may have partaken in some mind altering psychotropic fungi so my memory is a little foggy. Welcome to the forum.
Dang! I didn't catch any of that era live, sadly but the setlist is pretty exciting. Set one Reba? John Popper cameo on harmonica? How was that Harpua??
Happy to be here. I just visited El Paso briefly. Hueco to see the rocks, a brief pilgrimage to H&H to soak in the ambiance.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
Welcome from Perth Western Australia.

That's a beautiful Eltang pipe. How are you finding smoking a devil anse? They look cool but I always wonder how practical they are to smoke with that short stem and canted bowl.
I dig it, especially this Eltang version. The rim of the chamber drops off very sharply into the bowl and it is bored wide for easy lighting. With good clenching form, this pipe is a joy to smoke.
I do have a Rattray's 'Misfit' teeny-tiny devil anse that is less enjoyable because of the rounded single-bore mouthpiece which feels awkward in the mouth and can shift more easily. The rim is also more substantial and it is difficult to light without charring. Solid but I guess when you're comparing it to an Eltang, it leaves you wanting.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
Welcome from LA. I think more than a few of us have lit profs who smoked pipes (although mine was a prof's of my wife's who I knew socially back in the late '90s).
I suppose if your field requires you to wade through things like 'Ulysses' and analyze it in order to be taken seriously, you've got plenty of idle time. The connection seems legit.

Are there any nice shops or smoking cafes in LA I should check out? I might be in town later in the season.

Reactions: DangerStranger

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
My younger brother got me interested in pipe smoking around 2017. He was 16 years old and couldn’t even buy tobacco yet, but he was researching and anticipating the moment he could. I was intrigued by the names of the tobacco, such as Haunted Bookshop, Founding Fathers, and Frog Morton.

In April 2018 I bought a corn cob pipe and a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, sat out on the back porch of our log cabin in Idyllwild overlooking Strawberry Creek, lit up, and the rest is history.

YoungButter

Might Stick Around
Jun 19, 2021
My younger brother got me interested in pipe smoking around 2017. He was 16 years old and couldn’t even buy tobacco yet, but he was researching and anticipating the moment he could. I was intrigued by the names of the tobacco, such as Haunted Bookshop, Founding Fathers, and Frog Morton.

In April 2018 I bought a corn cob pipe and a tin of Dunhill Nightcap, sat out on the back porch of our log cabin in Idyllwild overlooking Strawberry Creek, lit up, and the rest is history.
Dang, thanks for taking me there. I've been meaning to check out Idyllwild, sounds like a beautiful place with Mount San Jacinto towering overhead and all. Must-do hikes?

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Dang, thanks for taking me there. I've been meaning to check out Idyllwild, sounds like a beautiful place with Mount San Jacinto towering overhead and all. Must-do hikes?
Hiking from Humber Park to Saddle Junction is probably the best hike. Ernie Maxwell is a nice, fairly flat trail that gives you nice views if you’re not in the mood for a more strenuous hike.

I’m glad the story could transport you there. My wife actually took some photos of that moment. Here’s one of them.

B393D4E8-EEC3-453B-B05D-F8654BDCC88F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.