PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I dig it, especially this Eltang version. The rim of the chamber drops off very sharply into the bowl and it is bored wide for easy lighting. With good clenching form, this pipe is a joy to smoke.
I do have a Rattray's 'Misfit' teeny-tiny devil anse that is less enjoyable because of the rounded single-bore mouthpiece which feels awkward in the mouth and can shift more easily. The rim is also more substantial and it is difficult to light without charring. Solid but I guess when you're comparing it to an Eltang, it leaves you wanting.
Thanks for the feedback. If I were to pick one up it would probably be an Eltang or an Askwith morta devil anse. Both have nice thin rims.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
This Forums is an evil place and the members should be ashamed of themselves for inducing a nasty case of pipe and tobacco envy and encouraging PAD and TAD
Leave lest you become afflicted :)
You have been warned.
In the event you decide to stay, a very warm welcome !
You're right. Hanging on this forum means that you will be bitten by the rabid weasels of PAD and TAD. You will spend all your money down to the last dime and love doing it. You will lust after pipes from high-dollar makers and get going on building a cellar that will last until the seemingly eternal number of days of your life are utterly spent.

You will spend money that you never would have considered spending because you are bitten with each visit here, and because you hold out your hand for the bite.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
I suppose if your field requires you to wade through things like 'Ulysses' and analyze it in order to be taken seriously, you've got plenty of idle time. The connection seems legit.

Are there any nice shops or smoking cafes in LA I should check out? I might be in town later in the season.
Unfortunately -- as others in this forum know better than I -- most shops, some with long histories, have disappeared. (My pre-pandemic office was near Kramer's in Beverly Hills; the Tinder Box in Santa Monica closed four years ago or so.) Tobacco Trader's in Culver City/West LA is the one left I know of.

And strangely enough, I'm part of the way through Ulysses (again) right now. My lighter reading!

Reactions: OzPiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Anyone with the patience and technique to read Ulysses deserves multiple gold stars. It was so daunting the last time I picked it up that putting it down has lasted 20 years.

Reactions: EssJaySea

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You're right. Hanging on this forum means that you will be bitten by the rabid weasels of PAD and TAD. You will spend all your money down to the last dime and love doing it. You will lust after pipes from high-dollar makers and get going on building a cellar that will last until the seemingly eternal number of days of your life are utterly spent.

You will spend money that you never would have considered spending because you are bitten with each visit here, and because you hold out your hand for the bite.

Can't tell how much of that is t.i.c., but it's not my experience.

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
Anyone with the patience and technique to read Ulysses deserves multiple gold stars. It was so daunting the last time I picked it up that putting it down has lasted 20 years.
Although I'm worried how this will sound (humblebrag?), I guess I want to note that I took a class in grad school solely dedicated to Finnegans Wake. I haven't read more than bits and pieces of it in the decades since.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although I'm worried how this will sound (humblebrag?), I guess I want to note that I took a class in grad school solely dedicated to Finnegans Wake. I haven't read more than bits and pieces of it in the decades since.
From what I've heard, Finnegan's Wake is twice as difficult as Ulysses. In neither case do I think the harvest is worth the harrowing, but as I've read neither this is opinion.

Alcoholism has very real effects on the brain. Although I will grant the author his genius, I know from personal experience and some years observing drunks at close quarters that large amounts of it produce imbalanced cerebration.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This Forums is an evil place and the members should be ashamed of themselves for inducing a nasty case of pipe and tobacco envy and encouraging PAD and TAD
Leave lest you become afflicted :)
You have been warned.
In the event you decide to stay, a very warm welcome !

• Haha

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome from Western Canada! The father of one of my best friends in high school was a pipe smoker and a great uncle. My great uncle was very proud of his meerschaum pipe and it’s colouring. Being around the paraphernalia and enjoying the smells always made me curious. A friend of mine and I would smoke aromatic pipe tobacco in Roy cigarettes. One day, after a very long break from smoking cigarettes, I picked up the pipe to answer that curiosity I always had and as a connection to the past and my Dad. Although my Dad was not a pipe smoker, tobacco in the form of cigarettes or cigars were a constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.