Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
When my parents were dating, dad was invited to a lamb dinner with mom's parents. In the driveway, mom says it's a lamb dinner. Dad liked lamb, no issue.

Well, it's a special lamb dinner. Okay, dad thinks, which end of the lamb.

Dad gets sat at the head of the table and is presented with a silver platter covered with a dome. When the dome was lifted, dad was staring a lamb head in the face. He ate part of the cheek and they stopped at McDonald's on the way home.

I will say I enjoy lamb tounge with lemon, olive oil and scallions.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have to admit that I've never eaten brains. However, I love sweetbreads (thymus gland from calves) and first had it at a Romanian restaurant next to Paramount Studios in LA. We used to get them from the grocery stores all the time and blanch them, remove the membrane, and grill them. When we moved up to the San Luis Obispo area, we were surprised and delighted to find them available in some of the steak house restaurants there. Good stuff!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
No, there's likely to be meat shortages, so I'm all for the rest of these guys eating the brains...and any other revolting parts that wet their appetites.

Good point.

With all the bacon I've consumed I reckon I've left behind a truckload of brains and testicles.

I have a strong stomach, but man I know I'd gag right on the spot if a plate of brains was set in front of me.

My ex wife ate chitterlings.. I should have just packed my shit the first time she brought those damn things home, I considered it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
What is the best way to prepare it? My wife just goes on and on about all the pig whiskers I would find.

The pig whiskers are what makes it such a treat!

Slice it 3/16"-1/4" thick. Fry it it a pan both sides until crispy. Throw it on the plate beside your eggs or pancakes. Some Philistines spray it with catsup, but I don't believe YOU would do something like that.... 🥸

1662941347178.png

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Never would I dare…
In Philly, some of the local diners should offer it, so you can avoid buying a whole package before you try it.

If not, head on down to Baltimore. In fact, make an early trip south that includes a stop at the Silver Moon Diner.

If the pig whiskers don't agree with you, they make a very nice corned beef hash and the coffee is always good.

1662943054592.png

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
In Philly, some of the local diners should offer it, so you can avoid buying a whole package before you try it.

If not, head on down to Baltimore. In fact, make an early trip south that includes a stop at the Silver Moon Diner.

If the pig whiskers don't agree with you, they make a very nice corned beef hash and the coffee is always good.

View attachment 168663
I will pick up a package of it next run to the Acme down the street. It will be front and center for my wife to see when she opens the fridge. I wonder how scrapple enchiladas or empanadas might be. Now I am pretty excited about it. :)

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Deep fried lamb brains are an amazing delicacy which are quite rare to find nowadays, even in Greece, as they are officially banned from the EU - though Greeks continue to eat them.

Fried sweatbreads are also divine, both lamb and calf.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Just can't. Don't get me wrong. I love organ meat. Heart, lung, small intestines, liver, kidney, ear, snout, stomach.. But I won't eat brain nor balls. Eyeballs, I'm still considering them. Fish eyes are fine..