PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
So growing up I was introduced to a wide variety of meats. These include mutton, beaver, muskrat, squirrel, rabbit, venison, oposum, and turtle. My favorite was always the brain sandwich. We used to use cow brains but since mad cow disease, we had to switch to pork brains. It's alot better than it sounds.

Recipe
1 package of pig brains
Some flour
A little salt, garlic powder, and pepper.

First you clean the brains of the veins and bone shards. Then you blend them with the other ingredients. Then you pour them like pancakes into a cast iron dutch over with hot oil. Once they are a golden brown, they are done. Put on buns with onion slices, pickles, and ketchup or mustard. Or any combination there of.

Hope you all decide to venture out of your comfort zones to try this.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I prefer sweetbreads over brains. No chance of bone shards in them, and I like the texture better.
I haven't eaten brains in over 35 years, since moving away from the family farm.

Back in the 90's I went to a musical festival in Sherman, NY called "The Outrageous Universe Revival Festival" (O.U.R. FEST)................... Man it was a great time, and your post made me think of this song, by "Hypnotic Clambake"...........

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Sounds like a breakfast "meat" I grew up with and could still enjoy, were it available near me.

We affectionately referred to it as "Lips & Assholes"...

View attachment 156629

View attachment 156630
Pretty much the equivalent of goetta, but swap liver for hearts, corn meal for steel cut oats, and don't forget to add some bonus MSG!
2022-07-13_161653.jpg
PORK AND BEEF. PORK AND BEEF BROTH, STEEL CUT OATS, PORK HEARTS, PORK SKINS, ONIONS, SALT, SPICES, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE
P.S. I prefer the turkey version. Same great taste, far fewer calories!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah, my grandfather (first generation American via Poland) didn’t waste ANYTHING! He would wake me up at 0430 for a scrambled egg breakfast before we went fishing with some kind pale grey clumpy meat in them. I would always ask “what is the grey stuff”? He would just grin and tell me to hurry up and eat or the fish will be gone. He finally told me at 25 yrs of age that all those years I was eating pig brains…….not that it tasted bad but, I’m traumatized?

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
They really are. I love chicken liver and beef tongue tacos , taco de lengua
You're making me so sad because the taco trailer that used to be at the nearby BP parking lot has been MIA and they had fantastic tacos de lengua. I miss them.

Nearby deli has super fantastic beef tongue sandwich though. Apparently the trick is to pressure cook, peel, slow cook in the flavor sauce/broth, slice, flat top reheat with more broth. So. Damn. Tender. Like butter. Night and day different from the beef tongue I had to suffer through growing up.

Side note... When I was dating my now wife the first time she ever had food truck food was tacos de lengua. I didn't tell her what they were until after she ate them since the were tasty and she like most would have probably not eaten them knowing what it was. Crazy how the concept of what is "normal" is so strongly ingrained and dictates behavior and preference without knowing the truth of what is being missed!

Last edited:

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
The Grandma I lived with growing up was a proper farm girl. And my father was an avid hunter.
We grew up eating everything.

Most “interesting” dish at a restaurant was quail testes. Apparently those little birds have bigger ones than turkeys !
Go figure ?
Okay, that is definitely something new that I have neither heard about nor tried.