PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Update on using charcoal chips at the bottom of the bowl in order to "convert" unfiltered pipes to filtered pipes:
After many more bowls, I find this technique to be entirely satisfactory.
I have experienced no issues with the charcoal burning, or with charcoal flavor entering the smoke.
I am enjoying my unfiltered pipes again using this technique, with no tongue bite.
I now find it sufficient to fill only the bottom quarter of the bowl with the charcoal chips I pictured at the head of this thread. I have been smoking burley-forward blends. I will soon test with virginia-forward blends and report my results.

Last edited:
Reactions: gord

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
They were charcol chips. What I found is they heat up and taste funny...either that and/or too much charcol removes excessive amounts of flavor. It didnt work out.

On some pipes what I have been doing lately to experiment is to put in a coupld of meer chips and then up near the draft whole I sprinkle in Just a small layer of charcol. Then I put meer chips on top. This sounds involved but it really isnt. I still prefer filter pipes over this method. Most of what I smoke in my non filter pipes are lat blends.

I dont do it for tongue bite but rather becuase I like the effect of filter pipes on virginias, vapers, and burley.
Dear Sigmund, your results and mine may differ because of the many parameters involved:
our taste buds, smoking techniques, tobaccos, pipes, charcoal, etc.
But please help me understand a seeming inconsistency in your post:
On the one hand you state "I like the effect of filter pipes on virginias, vapers, and burley." while, on the other hand, you state "charcoal removes excessive amounts of flavor."

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Sorry, I was referring to the method of charcol in the bowl, not in a filter. And I cant say for sure it removes flavor. It might be covering it up. I do taste a significant difference. Whereas filters remove tars and the associated tastes they leave behind the other flavors from the leaf. Putting AC in the bowl obscured those flavors.

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Sorry, I was referring to the method of charcol in the bowl, not in a filter. And I cant say for sure it removes flavor. It might be covering it up. I do taste a significant difference. Whereas filters remove tars and the associated tastes they leave behind the other flavors from the leaf. Putting AC in the bowl obscured those flavors.
Thank you for the explanation. I would think activated charcoal, whether in the bowl or in a filter, will have the same effect. But if your charcoal in the bowl is burning, that will certainly cause a difference.
May I ask, what charcoal are you using in the bowl? Is it identical to the brand I picture at the head of this thread?

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
I am happy that this is working for you, and that it has made a more enjoyable smoking experience for you. No doubt I may give it a try just to see how it goes. That being said, I smoke only Virginias (with an occasional burley blend here and there).

I suppose due to the high volumes of Virginia tobacco that I smoke, I don’t experience tongue bite during smoking, and I’ll admit I can sometimes smoke rather quickly because I love the taste of natural Virginias so very much, and often smoke multiple bowls each day. For example, I smoked 3 bowls of fresh bulk MacB Virginia No. 1 with no tongue bite? Why? Because it was Saturday, and I was particularly enjoying the forward tastes of bright sugar and hay that I was getting (and love about Virginia No. 1), so I just kept refilling my pipe and smoking it!

I learned quickly that the best ways to mitigate tongue bite even in the most troublesome Virginia blends (in unfiltered pipes) is to pay attention to the bowl and what it’s doing throughout the smoke.

Key factors that dramatically alleviate tongue bite:
1) Dry time. Air drying Virginia tobacco before loading the bowl really affects the ease of smoking, and the ease at keeping the ember going throughout the bowl. Huffing the pipe to keep it lit because the tobacco is too moist for smoking really heats up the bowl quick, rushes the tobacco, and of course creates a LOT of steam due to the added moisture. I air out my flakes for about 8hrs prior to smoking if I intend to fold and stuff. If I’m going to smoke a flake broken, I’ll gently massage the flake into a broken flake, and air for about an hour and a half. Both of these techniques usually lead to a quiet and soft smoke because the tobacco isn’t struggling to stay lit.
2) Saliva control. Keeping the stem and stummel free of the excess spittle caused by smoking a hotter tobacco really also helps with both moisture control that I discussed in Reason 1, and also keeps the airway free so that you get good draws… back to the point I made about having to huff the pipe to get a good draw. Overheating tobacco chamber, extra tongue bite.
3) Hard lighting. I’ve found that getting a good, well developed cherry from the beginning really plays well into the “don’t have to struggle to keep the bowl lit” theory, which is that Virginia tobacco really does well when the cherry develops well and stays well developed throughout the bowl. As the gentle heat develops in the pipe throughout the smoke, wonderful flavor begin to dance around and heighten the experience, but only if the cherry or ember is properly developed from the get-go, and properly maintained throughout the smoke.

I know this seems like a lot to take in, but while we’re discussing tongue bite, I thought it was worth mentioning the few things I’ve noticed that really make a difference, not only in the lessened or non-existent tongue bite that a lot of guys experience, but also make a difference in the overall taste of the tobacco you’re smoking, and the overall enjoyment of each bowl. It really all comes down to practice and paying attention, but I do know that a LOT of people give Virginia No. 1 a bad name because of tongue bite, and frankly it’s one of my favorite tobaccos to smoke. I smoke bowl after bowl by accident on Saturdays, but also commonly use it as a condiment to some of my Virginia flakes, because I really like the taste profile it brings to each smoke. Instead of running away from it, and from Virginias for that matter, I decided to figure them out. To me, this is what people mean when they say that smoking straight Virginias is a journey and not for the faint of heart, but that the experience is definitely worth the efforts after all, I call myself “Tongue-Fried” for a reason lol!

Thank you for your experiments Professor! I do hope I’ve added a few useful tidbits to this discussion for you and others to consider.

Happy smoking all!
-Stef

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I am happy that this is working for you, and that it has made a more enjoyable smoking experience for you. No doubt I may give it a try just to see how it goes. That being said, I smoke only Virginias (with an occasional burley blend here and there).

I suppose due to the high volumes of Virginia tobacco that I smoke, I don’t experience tongue bite during smoking, and I’ll admit I can sometimes smoke rather quickly because I love the taste of natural Virginias so very much, and often smoke multiple bowls each day. For example, I smoked 3 bowls of fresh bulk MacB Virginia No. 1 with no tongue bite? Why? Because it was Saturday, and I was particularly enjoying the forward tastes of bright sugar and hay that I was getting (and love about Virginia No. 1), so I just kept refilling my pipe and smoking it!

I learned quickly that the best ways to mitigate tongue bite even in the most troublesome Virginia blends (in unfiltered pipes) is to pay attention to the bowl and what it’s doing throughout the smoke.

Key factors that dramatically alleviate tongue bite:
1) Dry time. Air drying Virginia tobacco before loading the bowl really affects the ease of smoking, and the ease at keeping the ember going throughout the bowl. Huffing the pipe to keep it lit because the tobacco is too moist for smoking really heats up the bowl quick, rushes the tobacco, and of course creates a LOT of steam due to the added moisture. I air out my flakes for about 8hrs prior to smoking if I intend to fold and stuff. If I’m going to smoke a flake broken, I’ll gently massage the flake into a broken flake, and air for about an hour and a half. Both of these techniques usually lead to a quiet and soft smoke because the tobacco isn’t struggling to stay lit.
2) Saliva control. Keeping the stem and stummel free of the excess spittle caused by smoking a hotter tobacco really also helps with both moisture control that I discussed in Reason 1, and also keeps the airway free so that you get good draws… back to the point I made about having to huff the pipe to get a good draw. Overheating tobacco chamber, extra tongue bite.
3) Hard lighting. I’ve found that getting a good, well developed cherry from the beginning really plays well into the “don’t have to struggle to keep the bowl lit” theory, which is that Virginia tobacco really does well when the cherry develops well and stays well developed throughout the bowl. As the gentle heat develops in the pipe throughout the smoke, wonderful flavor begin to dance around and heighten the experience, but only if the cherry or ember is properly developed from the get-go, and properly maintained throughout the smoke.

I know this seems like a lot to take in, but while we’re discussing tongue bite, I thought it was worth mentioning the few things I’ve noticed that really make a difference, not only in the lessened or non-existent tongue bite that a lot of guys experience, but also make a difference in the overall taste of the tobacco you’re smoking, and the overall enjoyment of each bowl. It really all comes down to practice and paying attention, but I do know that a LOT of people give Virginia No. 1 a bad name because of tongue bite, and frankly it’s one of my favorite tobaccos to smoke. I smoke bowl after bowl by accident on Saturdays, but also commonly use it as a condiment to some of my Virginia flakes, because I really like the taste profile it brings to each smoke. Instead of running away from it, and from Virginias for that matter, I decided to figure them out. To me, this is what people mean when they say that smoking straight Virginias is a journey and not for the faint of heart, but that the experience is definitely worth the efforts after all, I call myself “Tongue-Fried” for a reason lol!

Thank you for your experiments Professor! I do hope I’ve added a few useful tidbits to this discussion for you and others to consider.

Happy smoking all!
-Stef
Thank you for your thoughtful and well-composed post. I have been smoking pipes for 30+ years and am familiar with the factors which you list. And I agree, these techniques deliver a cooler, more satisfying smoking experience.
The fact of the matter is, some folks suffer tongue bite from Virginias. It is a chemical thing--not heat related, and charcoal filtering is the only known solution for us.

Last edited:

Tongue-Fried

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2024
NC Foothills
Thank you for your thoughtful post. I have been smoking pipes for 30+ years and am familiar with the factors which you list. And I agree, these techniques deliver a more satisfying smoking experience.
The fact of the matter is, some folks suffer tongue bite from Virginias. It is a chemical thing, and charcoal filtering is the only solution for us.

I’m happy to contribute potentially helpful information in our never ending quest for that consistent, heaven-sent smoking experience!

gord

Can't Leave
You were the one who turned me on to meerschaum chips for which I'll be forever grateful. I find them superior in every respect to charcoal chips. And as I posted above, I find they get better with re-use, because of their ability to "ghost". I keep track of them in individual little stainless steel condiment dishes, as to what type of tobacco each one was used for. Works for me!!

Also, in deep bowls with a gully between the draft hole and cavern, four or five of them stops gurgling in its tracks. Once the bowl is fully broken in, as in my Sav and Peterson, they can be removed and gurgling is minimized and can be easily avoided by a variety of slow smoking techniques.

In the mornings, I am not into a long smoke, and so do the slob thing with miniature pipes, especially my McQueens, and a raunchy but flavourful tobacco. Any Navy blend, (mine are now the usual Rockwell, and now Black Frigate as well, recommended to me by the Captain of the Black Frigate himself}. These join Backweeds Buttered Rum and Mad Fiddler as my morning fare. That and a cup of cold black coffee or filtered water.

miniature.JPG

Last edited:

Distant Roads

Lurker
Sep 9, 2024
Lithuania
Correction: I was thinking of Denicool crystals. Nording Keystones are volcanic clay.
Silica, clay, meerschaum, balsa, paper, rice... all simply absorb moisture; they do not remove contaminants from the smoke. Charcoal is the thing.
I can compare this to filtering aquarium fish water. If you need to purify the water from any chemical contamination (let's say after using strong medication for fish or the like), the only filter that will do that is a carbon filter. All other filter media (foam, ceramic, sponge, etc.) won't work. Likewise, it is required that no carbon filter be used if there is a need to chemically treat fish or aquarium plants.

I think this is a similar situation. If the tongue bite is the result of a chemical reaction, a carbon filter will help.

My tongue bite was also reduced to almost nonexistent after I started smoking filtered pipes. Of course sipping slowly also helps!

gord

Can't Leave
Oh, I forgot to mention before, I’m finding this to be a really good alternative.

View attachment 339142
It's been really interesting re-visiting this posts after many months of absence, and see from my own posts that I have grown as a smoker. Getting REAL slow has been the best solution, and re-using meer chips valuable especially that I have drifted into Orientals which have much more variety of flavour than other types, at least so far in my experience.

After my debacle with breaking in dipped Falcon bowls and now meerschaum pipes, my further solution is to simply take a few days off . . . . the cigar thing does work for sure.

However, this time, craving the benefits of nicotine, I came up with another solution. Back in highschool and university days, I did smoke cigarettes. To get off of them, I used Skoal, successfully.

Recently, I found the best way of beating tongue bit at least this time around, was to lay off smoking and simply chew tobacco. Knowing that burley has the highest nicotine content of tobaccos, I simply stuck a wad of Smoker's Pride Classic Blend, which is apparently according to Lane who make the brand, very predominantly burley. It works very well. If you don't like the taste, putting a few pinches in a bowl and adding just enough honey to make a thick gooey concoction, might just be the answer. No need to buy chew - we all have lots of pipe tobacco around. :col:

I've been doing this now for 3 days, and man, does it stretch pipe tobacco! Now that the fast is over, I'm looking forward to starting the morning with a pipeful of Mad Fiddler and a cup of cold coffee!! :)

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
It's been really interesting re-visiting this posts after many months of absence, and see from my own posts that I have grown as a smoker. Getting REAL slow has been the best solution, and re-using meer chips valuable especially that I have drifted into Orientals which have much more variety of flavour than other types, at least so far in my experience.

After my debacle with breaking in dipped Falcon bowls and now meerschaum pipes, my further solution is to simply take a few days off . . . . the cigar thing does work for sure.

However, this time, craving the benefits of nicotine, I came up with another solution. Back in highschool and university days, I did smoke cigarettes. To get off of them, I used Skoal, successfully.

Recently, I found the best way of beating tongue bit at least this time around, was to lay off smoking and simply chew tobacco. Knowing that burley has the highest nicotine content of tobaccos, I simply stuck a wad of Smoker's Pride Classic Blend, which is apparently according to Lane who make the brand, very predominantly burley. It works very well. If you don't like the taste, putting a few pinches in a bowl and adding just enough honey to make a thick gooey concoction, might just be the answer. No need to buy chew - we all have lots of pipe tobacco around. :col:

I've been doing this now for 3 days, and man, does it stretch pipe tobacco! Now that the fast is over, I'm looking forward to starting the morning with a pipeful of Mad Fiddler and a cup of cold coffee!! :)
Yes, cigars don't bite the tongue. Chemical tongue bite seems t be caused by Virginia tobacco only.
As a young man I occasionally rolled cigarettes from pipe tobacco. Latakia blends.
Making your own chew from pipe tobacco -- brilliant!
I chewed for one summer when I was about 16 years old while working at a construction site -- one of the geezers let me steal from his pouch. I much enjoyed that chew.

• Love

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yes, cigars don't bite the tongue. Chemical tongue bite seems t be caused by Virginia tobacco only.
As a young man I occasionally rolled cigarettes from pipe tobacco. Latakia blends.
Making your own chew from pipe tobacco -- brilliant!
I chewed for one summer when I was about 16 years old while working at a construction site -- one of the geezers let me steal from his pouch. I much enjoyed that chew.

Reply my reply here, #12…

It’s about several factors, the most common is the PH balance of varieties that are more Alkaline. Be sure to click the link ‘Any Advice Killer Tongue Bite’, read the last post there, I found a wealth of information online that shares the facts over this.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

gord

Can't Leave
There's another factor, probably related, a friend of mine has brought up. He finds his lips get as "bitten" as his tongue. I've found this a factor, too. I just suffered a bit of a cold, and got chapped lips. That wasn't pleasant.

Anybody else here experienced the "lip factor" ? Enquiring minds want to know. :confused:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve done that on occasion for years. I use activated charcoal that got from a scientific supply company and the individual pieces are about 2-3mm in size.

It’s not a new concept. Screens, disks, volcanic rock, etc. has been used for a long time in this fashion.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I’ve done that on occasion for years. I use activated charcoal that got from a scientific supply company and the individual pieces are about 2-3mm in size.

It’s not a new concept. Screens, disks, volcanic rock, etc. has been used for a long time in this fashion.
It is a new concept to me, although I'm certain I am not the first to hit upon the idea.
In fact, after beginning this thread I have since come upon an almost identical thread by another fellow on another forum. He preceded me by a few months, but it seems he is using smaller charcoal bits and placing a layer of tobacco underneath them to keep them from being sucked into the stem.

Your suggestion of sourcing the charcoal from scientific supply dealers is excellent. I shall investigate. I have been sourcing from horticultural supply and aquarium supply. I prefer slightly larger than 2-3mm charcoal bits. There is bound to be some size variance in any batch. Sieving may be necessary to remove the smaller bits which can enter the smoke hole.

Screens, Denicool crystals, Nording pipe stones, meer chips, rice, coffee beans...paper filters, balsa filters...none of these give any relief for chemical tongue bite. Only charcoal does the job.

I believe the technique has commercial potential, which I am pursuing. Currently working on branding, packaging, and marketing strategy.

Last edited:

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Reply my reply here, #12…

It’s about several factors, the most common is the PH balance of varieties that are more Alkaline. Be sure to click the link ‘Any Advice Killer Tongue Bite’, read the last post there, I found a wealth of information online that shares the facts over this.
Thank you. I read with great interest the excellent article to which you linked, an interview with G. L. Pease. I have also read an old book by another famous tobacco blender, Carl Ehwa, Jr.
Both gentleman impart much useful and interesting knowledge. But I do not agree 100% with all they say.
In the realm of pipe smoking, their really are no "experts". Pipe smoking is as much subjective art as it is objective science. And even within the science part, there seems to be a good deal of disagreement.

Last edited: