Amphora Kentucky Blend: High-end Tobacco in a Pouch?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I just opened a pouch of this today for the first time. I was thinking about working through a pouch of each from the whole line, but thought they were old times aromatic blends. I have to say I was shocked at how good it is. Like, as soon as I opened the pouch I knew. Then I see it’s a MacBaren product, which makes sense. I’d swear this is old dark fired RR, tweaked a bit for sweetness. And I love that blend. This is not as bold, a bit smoother and more round but the quality is there 100%.

I couldn’t find it on tobaccoreviews, so I added the blend this morning. Odd, huh?
Is the whole amphora line high end like this? If so, which blends have you fellas smoked from it? I’m wondering where to head next.

Last edited by a moderator:

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
The Virginia is good & the Burley is very good.
The amphora blends are all quite good for the price point. The English is the only one im a bit soft on, but the KY, Burley, and VA are all good.
Interesting, so are some recent additions to the line, and the full etc are the classic end? I’m kind of dumbstruck I didnt try this sooner, mostly bc of the pouch. Peterson put out some pouches awhile back, I tried the English, which was pretty good.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I see my mistake, it’s called MacBaren amphora, not just amphora.
No, I think that is just the site's labeling. Indeed MacBaren resuscitated the dormant Amphora line. I think many of them are really quite good. I smoke the Full fairly regularly. Some folks get hung up on both sides of the OTC divide and there is, unfortunately a good deal of snobbery. However, if you like something smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find the Amphora burley a good example of the leaf. I'd certainly be open to trying others in the series. I'm not unaware of the artistry of some of the distinctly premium artisan blends, but I also think that among the pouch, bulk, and bag blends, there are some excellent tobaccos.

If you improve some of these by adding a condiment leaf or mix it with another blend, you sometimes realize that the low-price-packaging does not define the quality of leaf. I think you will sometimes be surprised if you just ignore the packaging and consider each blend with a disinterested open-mindedness, and make your own judgements.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Another member recommend Amphora Virginia. It was a good recommendation.

Decent Virginia broken flakes in a pouch at a reasonable price. I feel it's a good representation of straight Virginia and it is getting better aging in the pouch with semi-frequent use.

I'm interested in trying a few a their other pouches, like Burley and Kentucky. I've yet to hear anything bad about this line of tobacco.