Amount of Smoke

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yes, the truth is, I think I look like a Martian trying to communicate with the earth..................I can only have short conversations, like a teddy bear vending machine..............
If you published your posts into a book of sayings or even called them poetry, I’d buy it. I keep meaning to copy and paste some of these to remember. But, I am going to work “.I can only have short conversations, like a teddy bear vending machine…” into a few conversations today! Pure gold!!

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If you published your posts into a book of sayings or even called them poetry, I’d buy it. I keep meaning to copy and paste some of these to remember. But, I am going to work “.I can only have short conversations, like a teddy bear vending machine…” into a few conversations today! Pure gold!!
So I have been writing like a computer a of gas station from the 30s, for two years?teddy-bear-toys-nature-teddy-bear-forest.jpg

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
New to this still, but I think I can chime in. I liken it to smoking meat. You dont want a big rolling cloud of thick smoke. That is acrid and bitter. It will not give the best flavor. What you are looking for with meat smoking is a thin whisp of steady smoke. So, in my pipe smoking, I try to keep it light and whispy.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Not to side rail…but this begs the other question then. If smoked slowly and we decide that a light smoke is best…how much tobacco is left unburned in the end?

Reactions: JOHN72
Not to side rail…but this begs the other question then. If smoked slowly and we decide that a light smoke is best…how much tobacco is left unburned in the end?
For me, that depends on how much I am enjoying it. If it's a great smoke, all that's left is ash. Like not one single ribbon left unsmoked. I REALLY slow down toward the end so as not to damage the pipe.. puffy

I am a trickler constant clencher, so most of the time, I only realize that my pipe has finished when I get a small taste of ash. Most, all smoke to ash, but sometimes not. But, I am not sure if that is because of the small amount of smoke or not, but I am pretty sure it's because of the constant engagement with the pipe.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Okay folks. When I watch some reviews of people smoking, I hardly notice any smoke coming from their mouth if at all.

When I smoke, there is definitely smoke coming out.

Am I lighting too much of my tobacco in the bowl? Is there such a thing? I do notice that when my tobacco isn’t quite as dry and I have a go at a few relights over an hour or so and I’m really just sipping because I’m trying something new, there is less smoke.

I also am drawing in some air with an open mouth. So… is it technique? Amount burning?

you guys notice this?
I get more smoke then someone like Embers. I can smoke as slow as he does but I find somewhere in the middle works much better for me. I personally find the flavor best when I can see the smoke but am not burning my tongue. Excepting certain blends there are some blends that I get much more out of going the wisp route. The one that comes to mind is Sav Jupiter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Despite my long years at it, I think I am an unsophisticated smoker. I sip, but I produce some smoke almost every draw anyway. I smoke a lot of burley and burley blends, but even with Virginias, there are some clouds. Often, when I light up, I get a smoke ring or two unbidden. I don't retrohale or inhale. I'm focused on enjoying the flavor, and apparently this is how I do it. Since there is rarely anyone evaluating my smoking, it suits me.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I rarely blow the smoke out of my mouth, I tend to blow a little smoke inside the pipe using the technique I learnt from Muttnchop piper and sometimes I retrohale, so the majority of my smoke is ejected from my pipe and from my nose. Is this you're referring to when you say that some pipe smokers don't blow smoke out of their mouths?

To be honest it's not natural at all for me because I'm also a vaper and I love blowing huge amounts of smoke from my mouth and from my nose, so I have to switch to a new mindset when I smoke a pipe, it's like meditation.

Wiggles

Lurker
Oct 10, 2021
MS Gulf Coast
This thread has helped me tremendously.

It got me to start thinking about my sip. I would take long slow pulls with lots of smoke and a burning bowl with younger bite most of the time. After contemplating what is being discussed here and going over everyone's responses, I decided my next smoke would be soft small sips and the flavors started to really come alive. I could feel that the smoke coming in was cooler than before and everything just seemed right in the world for that moment.

So thanks to all of you

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Wait, you guys are producing smoke when you, err, smoke? :eek:
Well I never . . . ?

For those who don't, I guess that explains the many "like sucking on air" comments that we see. :)

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper