PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Smoke isn't the flavor, it's the carrier of the taste of the warm tobacco around the ember. Less heat equals less smoke equals more flavor to a point that even aromatics taste like their tin notes. I leave the smoke clouds for cigarettes.
It's probably just as well that no fellow pipe smokers here get to see me smoke a pipe; I can just hear the cries of exasperation "No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong!!!" :LOL:

In my defence; a pipe has kept me off the cigarettes for over eleven years and I enjoy it, so from that perspective I'm doing something right. puffy

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
It's probably just as well that no fellow pipe smokers here get to see me smoke a pipe; I can just hear the cries of exasperation "No, no, no! You're doing it all wrong!!!" :LOL:

In my defence; a pipe has kept me off the cigarettes for over eleven years and I enjoy it, so from that perspective I'm doing something right. puffy
I think that what matters is that you enjoy it and the fact that it keeps you away from cigarettes is definitely good!

I've smoked pipes "the wrong way" for years, basically like smoking cigarettes: sucking and then blowing lots of smoke from my mouth, I was also inhaling at times (and my throat hurt everytime I did so). In my case that didn't keep me away from cigarettes because I couldn't understand why pipe folks enjoy pipe smoke more than cigarette smoke.

Only when I started vaping to reduce my nicotine and smoke anxiety and I started smoking a pipe as a "hobby", reducing the quantity of smoke produced, smoking slowly, using the breathe method, etc. I realized how tasteful pipe tobacco is and what a great pleasure and how relaxing it is to smoke a pipe.

I still smoke a bit quicker than those slow smokers who produce close to 0 smoke, but to my eyes at least I'm a slow smoker now :D

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I think that what matters is that you enjoy it and the fact that it keeps you away from cigarettes is definitely good!

I've smoked pipes "the wrong way" for years, basically like smoking cigarettes: sucking and then blowing lots of smoke from my mouth, I was also inhaling at times (and my throat hurt everytime I did so). In my case that didn't keep me away from cigarettes because I couldn't understand why pipe folks enjoy pipe smoke more than cigarette smoke.

Only when I started vaping to reduce my nicotine and smoke anxiety and I started smoking a pipe as a "hobby", reducing the quantity of smoke produced, smoking slowly, using the breathe method, etc. I realized how tasteful pipe tobacco is and what a great pleasure and how relaxing it is to smoke a pipe.

I still smoke a bit quicker than those slow smokers who produce close to 0 smoke, but to my eyes at least I'm a slow smoker now :D
I've been a smoker for so long that the ritual itself is an important part of 'scratching the itch' subconsciously I think. Inhaling is a part of the ritual. A pipe also gives me something to do with my hands.

What I find rather curious is that when I smoked cigarettes my addiction got worse the longer I smoked.
The pipe broke me free from the cravings. Now I can go all day without when occupied [I don't clench] and not be too bothered.

Health 'experts' say that nicotine is 'more addictive than heroin'.
Although I smoke milder blends with mild nicotine, I smoke enough to maintain an addiction if the 'experts' were correct.

My experience leads me to believe that some of the 300+ chemicals that are added to cigarettes are more addictive than the nicotine.

Vapes are another effective way to get off cigarettes. Anything that works.
Tobacco is outrageously expensive here. Had I not found online tobacconists and built a reasonable stash before the laws changed [now illegal to import without a license] I would have switched to a vape.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
I like to see BIG clouds of smoke: to ME, seeing the smoke is part of the enjoyment of smoking, right next to the flavour. No smoke = something's missing.

Now, if I could only learn how to make rings, my smoking life would be complete... ?
I totally understand you.
In my case I solved the "issue" vaping: I almost disappear in the cloud. I'm not really sure how you get a similar effect with a pipe though... if you create a lot of smoke all the time doesn't your pipe burn or get damaged?
I don't know how big the clouds of smoke can be with a pipe, but whenever I produce more smoke my pipes get too hot and I stop. Also, too much combustion should affect the taste, to me all the taste is lost when there is a lot of smoke, it basically just tastes like "burnt stuff".

Reactions: bayareabriar
My experience leads me to believe that some of the 300+ chemicals that are added to cigarettes are more addictive than the nicotine.
I think we've been through this, and your stance sounds like those anti smoking Nazis, saying it over and over does not make it true. You are merely misunderstanding what the FDA is saying. 300+ chemicals are NOT being added to tobacco. There are 300+ chemicals other than nicotine in the smoke.

Are you an anti-smoking Nazi come here to perpetuate this nonsense? Because that is what you sound like to me.

From the FDA... "...over 300 other chemicals found in cigarette smoke, like formaldehyde, acrolein, and acetaldehyde..,"

Cigarette companies are not adding formaldehyde, acrolein, and acetaldehyde to their products. The Anti smoking Nazis want you to misunderstand this and continue to repost this, because it helps their cause. Stop helping the Nazis! These things are found in all natural tobacco product smoke. Hell, the byproduct of eating bread turns to all sorts of nasties in your bowls... anti-bread people could say that all sorts of chemicals are produced in you body by eating breads. This does not make bread more dangerous than donuts or pizza crust.
But, these same chemicals are also biproducts of smoking any tobaccos.
There are tons of trace amounts of bad stuff in organic tomatoes, squash, beans... etc... Does that make vegetables bad?

I cannot say why you are less addicted to pipes, but I know that the reason I have a different type of addiction to pipes is because I don't inhale them. (period)
Taking the smoke into my lungs was killing me and the quickness of the rush of nicotine into my bloodstream was why I had to constantly refuel my nicotine load by smoking more and more. It had nothing to do with the tobacco. However, switching to pipes and not inhaling has made my lungs work better, and I can ride my bike way longer than I used to be able to. I think that I am healthier now. That should be enough of a reason to justify pipes over cigarettes without falling for the propaganda.

It is one thing to have an opinion. And, there it is another thing to be absolutely wrong about facts. I hate big cigarette companies too. Fuck 'em, and I hope they all rot. And, I love pipe tobaccos... just like everyone else here, but perpetuating a lie is not helping anyone. If this is what you are fooling yourself with, fine, but it just muddies the argument to bring it here.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I totally understand you.
In my case I solved the "issue" vaping: I almost disappear in the cloud. I'm not really sure how you get a similar effect with a pipe though... if you create a lot of smoke all the time doesn't your pipe burn or get damaged?
I don't know how big the clouds of smoke can be with a pipe, but whenever I produce more smoke my pipes get too hot and I stop. Also, too much combustion should affect the taste, to me all the taste is lost when there is a lot of smoke, it basically just tastes like "burnt stuff".
Erm, maybe I shoulda defined "big".

I meant like the man in the beginning of this video:

Vaping smoke is beyond big: it's volcanic.

Yes, the pipe will get quite warm, but so far none of my pipes has been damaged, and I don't build any silly cake to "protect" the pipe.