PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Okay folks. When I watch some reviews of people smoking, I hardly notice any smoke coming from their mouth if at all.

When I smoke, there is definitely smoke coming out.

Am I lighting too much of my tobacco in the bowl? Is there such a thing? I do notice that when my tobacco isn’t quite as dry and I have a go at a few relights over an hour or so and I’m really just sipping because I’m trying something new, there is less smoke.

I also am drawing in some air with an open mouth. So… is it technique? Amount burning?

you guys notice this?

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
It's pretty annoying when you're trying to watch someone talking and you can't see through the thick veil of smoke obscuring their face, so Youtube reviewers actually use special blends of smokeless pipe tobacco that ensure that the smoke doesn't mess up their takes.

This may or may not be completely made up nonsense.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
It's pretty annoying when you're trying to watch someone talking and you can't see through the thick veil of smoke obscuring their face, so Youtube reviewers actually use special blends of smokeless pipe tobacco that ensure that the smoke doesn't mess up their takes.

This may or may not be completely made up nonsense.
Smoke and mirrors. Ahaha

Well…. There are no rules to any of this, but growing up around pipesmokers, a small trickle of smoke is about the best I’ve ever seen. Just guessing, I’d say you’re puffing too hard and yes, probably igniting the whole width of the chamber.
Mantras you’ll see often are, to smoke your pipe at the verge of it going out will give you the best flavor. I think of it as a balancing act.

But, no, there are no rules, BUT…. if I walked into a smoking lounge and a fellow was puffing like a newbie with big clouds of smoke, I’d either set on the other side of the room, or turn around and select a chair outside. puffy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Okay folks. When I watch some reviews of people smoking, I hardly notice any smoke coming from their mouth if at all.

When I smoke, there is definitely smoke coming out.

Am I lighting too much of my tobacco in the bowl? Is there such a thing? I do notice that when my tobacco isn’t quite as dry and I have a go at a few relights over an hour or so and I’m really just sipping because I’m trying something new, there is less smoke.

I also am drawing in some air with an open mouth. So… is it technique? Amount burning?

you guys notice this?
There are no rules to this. I like to see a lot of smoke most times. But there's times when I just want a little bit to get more flavor.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Russ was just talking about this in Richmond. The oil content of a tobacco determines how visible the smoke is. Burley is high content and smokes more, so he recommends it to new smokers who want to see smoke to know their pipe is lit. But as you get some experience, you'll probably learn to sip the pipe and barely see any smoke. Or not. Some people like to freight train their pipe, and that's okay, too. You do you.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I used to get some kind of strange pleasure in taking a heavy draw on the pipe, and puffing a big cloud of smoke out of the window.
I don't do that anymore.

Generally I'm happy with with a moderate wisp of smoke, but sometimes when I want a big hit of flavour, I will take some bigger breaths, because for me more smoke equals more flavour.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There seams to be hardly any smoke and it got me thinking if I’m doing something wrong or right
Decades of smoking is my only defense.

It may also be a trick of perspective. your own smoke is closer to your eyes so it looks bigger an denser than it does to others.
People that work with me often think I'm just walking around with a pipe in my mouth when I'm smoking.