PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not centered on American factory pipes, having a deep bench of Savinelli, Petersons, Johs, Nording, Stanwell, various French brands, not to mention an excellent Austrian pipe, and so on.

But I have always enjoyed my American (U.S.) factory pipes beginning with MM cobs and hardwoods, Missouri Meerschaum of Washington, Missouri, just west of St. Louis. I have some grand old Edwards' Benton series sold as Iwan Ries house pipes made of oil-cured Algerian briar. These are all over 35 years old, look great and smoke better.

Others include Kaywoodie Saxons, which contrary to some reports, I find to still be quality pipes, light weight, well insulated, and admirably moderately priced, as are many U.S. factory pipes. I have two Dr. Grabows and especially recommend the Royalton bulldog, and I have a Yello-Bole Checker panel I like a lot.

One I prize is a Kaywoodie Drinkless with the old screw-in stem stinger that is full of positive surprises. New, it started out a matte gray-brown, with its carved grooves in the bowl sides and shank, not a beauty but a good smoker that was quick and easy to clean. Over time the matte muddy look has polished into a red-tinted finish that is mysteriously attractive, what you might call a late bloomer.

I never consider these pipes as a last resort or yard pipes. Some days they give as good a smoke as any.

I say this as the owner several up-market pipes that I treasure, but I feel like I know a good thing when I see it. I have yet to buy a U.S. factory pipe that is a stinker or a burn-out.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
My collection of American-made factory pipes informs me that at one point in time, American manufactured factory pipe were both high quality in terms of fit and finish and that they were made of excellent briar.

My ranking is as follows:

Competitive with Dunhills:

Early Kaywoodies up until the late 40s; (sandblasting is exceptional)

High Quality in Every Measure that Matters

Early WDC
LHS Certied Purex

(consistent quality in fit and finish as well as manufacturing)

High Quality

Linkman Dr. Grabows
Early Dr. Grabows
Pipes by Lee (1st and 2nd Generation)
Marxman

Quality

Medico
Williard
Yello-Bole (early examples are outstanding)

I find that by the 1970s, much of the overall quality has become diminished in ways that are easy to measure. Fit and finish, quality of briar, overall craftsmanship, all seem to have suffered some.

Of course, this is only my own viewpoint based on my limited experience with the pipes in my collection.

I don't have many examples of each, but that is by design. I try to only keep the best example I can find of each brand, although I do have some multiples of a few.
@telescopes
Thanks for your appraisal.
I know that some time ago you set out to collect examples of American Factory pipes, so your opinion is much appreciated

Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@telescopes
Thanks for your appraisal.
I know that some time ago you set out to collect examples of American Factory pipes, so your opinion is much appreciated
I can very much understand the point of view that places more value on Lees or even Marxman pipes. Lees have a consistent quality and fitment as well as a dense briar. Each of these qualities create a pipe that can be counted on to smoke well.

Marxman, in my mind, has a good fitment and in their more tradional shapes, a consistent finish that holds up well. Their non traditional shapes are all over the board in terms of having a pleasant look. Some are remarkably handsome with stunning grains and artistic rustications. Others, not so much. However, the Algerian briar that they use lends itself to a very decent smoke.

In my mind, both Lee and Marxman pipes are unique subgenres of the American pipe manufacturing process. Lee for his innovational stem and stummel fitment and consistent finish that shows grain, and Marx for his unique art deco take on pipes and his Algerian briar. Each maker veered off the pipe making path a bit. More so Marx.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I can very much understand the point of view that places more value on Lees or even Marxman pipes. Lees have a consistent quality and fitment as well as a dense briar. Each of these qualities create a pipe that can be counted on to smoke well.
The raison d’être of factory production.

A lower cost, uniform product of reliable quality, free from the vagaries of whether the maker made it in the morning after a good night’s rest or nursing a hangover or after his boozy lunch.
Or if the task was delegated to his new apprentice 😁

Have you any experience with LHS’s Sterncrests ?

Reactions: Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm not centered on American factory pipes, having a deep bench of Savinelli, Petersons, Johs, Nording, Stanwell, various French brands, not to mention an excellent Austrian pipe, and so on.

But I have always enjoyed my American (U.S.) factory pipes beginning with MM cobs and hardwoods, Missouri Meerschaum of Washington, Missouri, just west of St. Louis. I have some grand old Edwards' Benton series sold as Iwan Ries house pipes made of oil-cured Algerian briar. These are all over 35 years old, look great and smoke better.

Others include Kaywoodie Saxons, which contrary to some reports, I find to still be quality pipes, light weight, well insulated, and admirably moderately priced, as are many U.S. factory pipes. I have two Dr. Grabows and especially recommend the Royalton bulldog, and I have a Yello-Bole Checker panel I like a lot.

One I prize is a Kaywoodie Drinkless with the old screw-in stem stinger that is full of positive surprises. New, it started out a matte gray-brown, with its carved grooves in the bowl sides and shank, not a beauty but a good smoker that was quick and easy to clean. Over time the matte muddy look has polished into a red-tinted finish that is mysteriously attractive, what you might call a late bloomer.

I never consider these pipes as a last resort or yard pipes. Some days they give as good a smoke as any.

I say this as the owner several up-market pipes that I treasure, but I feel like I know a good thing when I see it. I have yet to buy a U.S. factory pipe that is a stinker or a burn-out.
Tom,

Always pleased to read your well-considered opinion(s)
Invaluable hearing from someone with a breadth of experience - not just of American factory pipes but in the wider context of international pipe brands across various price points

My interest was piqued by the flurry of posts on Marxman pipes and Pipes by Lee - 2 brands I was totally ignorant of until our esteemed counsel @Briar Lee joined our merry band with his ruminations 😁

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Very cool! Thanks for posting.
Anything else you can share about that pipe? Age, model etc.
I got the pipe at BRB. They put the pipe at 1915. From my research the pipe could have been produced between 1905 and 1915. CPF is clear on the stem, KB&B on the band and Chesterfield on the shank. While somewhat confusing, it is correct. It's a majestic pipe and a great smoker.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The raison d’être of factory production.

A lower cost, uniform product of reliable quality, free from the vagaries of whether the maker made it in the morning after a good night’s rest or nursing a hangover or after his boozy lunch.
Or if the task was delegated to his new apprentice 😁

Have you any experience with LHS’s Sterncrests ?
Only the Certified Purex.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I started this post because of the gaping void in my knowledge of American factory pipes

I’d focused on Britwoods and the occasional Danish maker Since getting back to pipes a few years ago.
It’s only through the enthusiasm of members like @Briar Lee, @telescopes, @crashthegrey and @Parsimonious Piper that I learnt of the existence of Pipes by Lee, WDC, Marxman and a few others.

I’m trying to get an idea of members’ experiences and opinions and how they rank the various makers
While I have a variety of pipes, my collection experience is limited to the Pipes by Lee family including Briarlee and Gold Coast, plus the near unicorn collaboration between Lee and Lord Davenport. Every one is a solid smoker. How do they compare to the Kaywoodies, Grabows, etc., of the 1940s-60s? Don’t know because I’ve only got one—a 1959-67 Kaywoodie 500 series Billiard. I was drawn into the Lee sickness by the seeming lack of solid information about them for such relatively high quality pipes. Their origins in the mid-to-late 1940s are murky. They made great pipes for a couple decades then petered out and poof! Nobody even seems to know exactly when they disappeared, though I’ve seen 1972 bandied about.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I'm a huge vintage Kaywoodie fan, they're easy to get ahold of and many of them are great pipes. MLC (Linkman's) are great as well.

LHS made some cool pipes but they are starting to get a little pricey now, especially scoops.

R.B.C, Premier, KB&B and Reiss Premier are also pipes to look out for If your interested in early American factory pipes.
Actually, I had a specific question about Kaywoodie and its earlier iterations. It’s said that Kaywoodie had amazing stocks of high quality briar up until WWII. It’s also said that their pipes were more expensive or as expensive as Dunhills. I’m wondering about the quality of the Premiers and Rocky Briars and other KBB pipes as well as the early Kaywoodies. When did Kaywoodie reach its high point in terms of quality? Were their early ‘30s pipes as good as their late ‘30s pipes? How about the late ‘20s ones?
How did WDC quality compare to Kaywoodie I wonder?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Actually, I had a specific question about Kaywoodie and its earlier iterations. It’s said that Kaywoodie had amazing stocks of high quality briar up until WWII. It’s also said that their pipes were more expensive or as expensive as Dunhills. I’m wondering about the quality of the Premiers and Rocky Briars and other KBB pipes as well as the early Kaywoodies. When did Kaywoodie reach its high point in terms of quality? Were their early ‘30s pipes as good as their late ‘30s pipes? How about the late ‘20s ones?
How did WDC quality compare to Kaywoodie I wonder?
Well, since there isn't anyone alive today that smoked those pipes contemporaneously any claims we make towards quality of something made 100+ years ago is pure speculation made through the view of a modern lens.

In my experiance early Premiers are absolutely top notch pipes, but they are few and far between these days. KB&B/C.P.F. manufactured pipes for all price ranges prior to Kaywoodie just as they did during the Kaywoodie days. But thier early high grade stuff rivals any high grade stuff from England. KB&B Blueline pipes are great examples of really nice early pipes as are LondonLikes. Early C.P.F meerschaums were probably the best American made meers available.

When they reached thier zenith is a difficult thing to answer. but from the teens to WWII is definitely when they sold the most pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Every classic American brand factory pipe has the same basic purpose—

To make the owner of the factory wealthy.

The first factory pipe to really get a large national sale wasn’t Kaywoodie. That honor goes to William Demuth Company.

From Pipedia...

y the late 1800's, branches of KB&B were opened in Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco and St. Louis with family and friends acting as agents.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
From Pipedia...

y the late 1800's, branches of KB&B were opened in Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco and St. Louis with family and friends acting as agents.
Lol, I think every factory everywhere serves the same purpose. I don't think the quest for profit was limited to the American pipe factories.

But yes while KB&B/C.P.F. was around at that time WDC was a much larger company until all the mergers of the 20's.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
A whole history of Kaywoodie can be found on my Greywoodie site under the history tab, so I will save the time of typing it all out. Kaywoodie pipes from the turn of the century to the forties were amazing. They are again today. Made by a fourth generation pipe maker with thirty years experience. One man makes every one of them, and at least weekly I hear that the blast is better than a vintage Dunhill. 4 digit shape numbers and modern Kaywoodie pipes are highly collectable.

Reactions: OzPiper and Andre_T

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
A whole history of Kaywoodie can be found on my Greywoodie site under the history tab, so I will save the time of typing it all out. Kaywoodie pipes from the turn of the century to the forties were amazing. They are again today. Made by a fourth generation pipe maker with thirty years experience. One man makes every one of them, and at least weekly I hear that the blast is better than a vintage Dunhill. 4 digit shape numbers and modern Kaywoodie pipes are highly collectable.
I’m curious how people would compare 1930’s Kaywoodie mouthpieces to those of other pipes of the time. I’ve no idea myself. I have two early Kaywoodies and love them but I’ve no expertise.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I have smoked many pipes from the thirties. I only collect Kaywoodie pipes from the thirties. I preferred the stems on them.
After I wrote the question I smoked my 30s Kaywoodie last night. The stem is very comfortable. It made me think I should acquire another. It’s extremely comfortable.

Reactions: crashthegrey