PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Disclaimer: I do not have any American factory pipes
It's not due to lack of interest. It's a rabbit hole I just don't want to get lost in 😁
Thanks to the proselytising by @Briar Lee, I am now aware of Pipes by Lee/BriarLees and now his latest infatuation, Marxman pipes.

I recently reacquainted myself with an oldish thread on LHS pipes, in particular their Sterncrest line. Their most active proponents, Danielplainview and Tuold are no longer active on the Forums
There were some very nice looking pipes featured.
Unlike some that can double as worm-eaten coshes or for hammering in hobnails.

There has been a lot of threads discussing the merits of various Britwood brands and their relative ranking(s).
Subjective, of course, but there is general consensus of the top tier makers

It would be nice to have a discussion of the various American factories eg KBB/Kaywodie, WDC, Dr Grabow, LHS, Marxman, etc (showing my ignorance here :(. Only ones off the top of my head)
How do KBB/Kaywoodie and the LHS Sterncrests rate. What other factories rate a mention
I would like to exclude the smaller and newer makers like Vermont Free, BriarWorks et al

Input from @telescopes, @craig61a, @crashthegrey, @Parsimonious Piper and @Briar Lee would be much appreciated

Reactions: tklee and Ahi Ka

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A couple of my favorite pipes were made by the Linkman company in Chicago. They initiated the Grabow brand. When it got sold and moved to Sparta NC, I think they changed production and sourcing.
I've got a couple Kaywoodies, LHS, Yello-Bole, MasterCraft, and several Grabows.
The ones I smoke the least are the Kaywoodies. I guess it's because of the stinger, primarily. These ball ended stingers seem to get clogged rather easily, but, maybe I should revisit these as my technique has improved over time, and could yield better smokes.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I'm a huge vintage Kaywoodie fan, they're easy to get ahold of and many of them are great pipes. MLC (Linkman's) are great as well.

LHS made some cool pipes but they are starting to get a little pricey now, especially scoops.

R.B.C, Premier, KB&B and Reiss Premier are also pipes to look out for If your interested in early American factory pipes.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Every classic American brand factory pipe has the same basic purpose—

To make the owner of the factory wealthy.

The first factory pipe to really get a large national sale wasn’t Kaywoodie. That honor goes to William Demuth Company.

IMG_3553.jpeg

Note that pre World War One twenty five cents would buy a genuine French (Algerian?) briar name brand pipe with a vulcanite stem, guaranteed against cracking or burn out.

A quarter in 1914 is worth $7.50 today and no way in the world, could a quality briar pipe be retailed so cheaply. It likely wasn’t very profitable then.

The 1914 25 cent Wellington was small. The merchant that sold it likely paid eighteen to twenty cents for it wholesale. The factory worker that made it likely earned $500 a year, at the most, unless WDC had women and children making them, then the labor cost was less.

We worry about inflation today, but WW1 unleashed massive inflation. By the end of the war the cheapest Wellington had doubled in price to fifty cents. Wages increased along with inflation.

In 1920, a quarter was only worth $3.50 today. And this was on a true gold standard, where an ounce of gold could be brought to a mint and a twenty dollar gold coin minted, and a paper $20 bill was exchangeable for a $20 gold coin.

Can you imagine if prices had more than doubled, since 2017? Yes, we have inflation but not that bad.

Where Kaywoodie became famous, was selling $3.50 pipes in 1925, and selling millions of them.

$3.50 in 1925 is about $60 today, or about the price of a decent economy pipe, no way a 1925 Kaywoodie quality pipe.

A briar pipe is sort of like a three bladed stockman pattern pocket knife or a fountain pen or a wooden handled hammer. They’ve not changed and never will.

What fascinates me about American factory pipes, is I can buy the cream of old brands like Lee and Marxman in nearly perfect shape for about $30.

This Marxman Super Briar, nearly new in the box, was $27 delivered this week.

IMG_3554.jpegIMG_3555.jpeg

It retailed for $5 in 1946, which would be
about $75 today.

But $27 today would have only been $1.75 in 1946.

Be picky.

The very best of old American factory pipes are dirt cheap.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Every classic American brand factory pipe has the same basic purpose—

To make the owner of the factory wealthy.

The first factory pipe to really get a large national sale wasn’t Kaywoodie. That honor goes to William Demuth Company.

View attachment 218748

Note that pre World War One twenty five cents would buy a genuine French (Algerian?) briar name brand pipe with a vulcanite stem, guaranteed against cracking or burn out.

A quarter in 1914 is worth $7.50 today and no way in the world, could a quality briar pipe be retailed so cheaply. It likely wasn’t very profitable then.

The 1914 25 cent Wellington was small. The merchant that sold it likely paid eighteen to twenty cents for it wholesale. The factory worker that made it likely earned $500 a year, at the most, unless WDC had women and children making them, then the labor cost was less.

We worry about inflation today, but WW1 unleashed massive inflation. By the end of the war the cheapest Wellington had doubled in price to fifty cents. Wages increased along with inflation.

In 1920, a quarter was only worth $3.50 today. And this was on a true gold standard, where an ounce of gold could be brought to a mint and a twenty dollar gold coin minted, and a paper $20 bill was exchangeable for a $20 gold coin.

Can you imagine if prices had more than doubled, since 2017? Yes, we have inflation but not that bad.

Where Kaywoodie became famous, was selling $3.50 pipes in 1925, and selling millions of them.

$3.50 in 1925 is about $60 today, or about the price of a decent economy pipe, no way a 1925 Kaywoodie quality pipe.

A briar pipe is sort of like a three bladed stockman pattern pocket knife or a fountain pen or a wooden handled hammer. They’ve not changed and never will.

What fascinates me about American factory pipes, is I can buy the cream of old brands like Lee and Marxman in nearly perfect shape for about $30.

This Marxman Super Briar, nearly new in the box, was $27 delivered this week.

View attachment 218752View attachment 218753

It retailed for $5 in 1946, which would be
about $75 today.

But $27 today would have only been $1.75 in 1946.

Be picky.

The very best of old American factory pipes are dirt cheap.

That’s a nice one.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Disclaimer: I do not have any American factory pipes
It's not due to lack of interest. It's a rabbit hole I just don't want to get lost in 😁
Thanks to the proselytising by @Briar Lee, I am now aware of Pipes by Lee/BriarLees and now his latest infatuation, Marxman pipes.

I recently reacquainted myself with an oldish thread on LHS pipes, in particular their Sterncrest line. Their most active proponents, Danielplainview and Tuold are no longer active on the Forums
There were some very nice looking pipes featured.
Unlike some that can double as worm-eaten coshes or for hammering in hobnails.

There has been a lot of threads discussing the merits of various Britwood brands and their relative ranking(s).
Subjective, of course, but there is general consensus of the top tier makers

It would be nice to have a discussion of the various American factories eg KBB/Kaywodie, WDC, Dr Grabow, LHS, Marxman, etc (showing my ignorance here :(. Only ones off the top of my head)
How do KBB/Kaywoodie and the LHS Sterncrests rate. What other factories rate a mention
I would like to exclude the smaller and newer makers like Vermont Free, BriarWorks et al

Input from @telescopes, @craig61a, @crashthegrey, @Parsimonious Piper and @Briar Lee would be much appreciated

I have handled quite a few American made estate pipes over the years. Of the ones you mention, I favor early Kaywoodies (1950s and earlier) and early Ludwig Stern (LHS). Of the two, I have found LHS pipes most consistently an excellent smoke. However, I am able to speak mostly to the "Certified Purex" line. Even then, the earlier LHS Certified Purex pipes that have the aluminum diamond embedded in the stem. I sell them, but also have 4 or 5 in my personal collection. I feel they are on par with the other "top shelf" pipes in my collection... Dunhills, Larsen Copenhagens, etc. With some hunting, older LHS pipes can be found at reasonable prices too.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have handled quite a few American made estate pipes over the years. Of the ones you mention, I favor early Kaywoodies (1950s and earlier) and early Ludwig Stern (LHS). Of the two, I have found LHS pipes most consistently an excellent smoke. However, I am able to speak mostly to the "Certified Purex" line. Even then, the earlier LHS Certified Purex pipes that have the aluminum diamond embedded in the stem. I sell them, but also have 4 or 5 in my personal collection. I feel they are on par with the other "top shelf" pipes in my collection... Dunhills, Larsen Copenhagens, etc. With some hunting, older LHS pipes can be found at reasonable prices too.
Thanks for your appraisal.

The American factory pipes that have the most appeal for me (looks-wise) have been the pre-WW II KB&B and LHS Sterncrests

The KB&B stingers are a deal breaker for me.
LHS Sterncrests look very much like their Britwood contemporaries
But considerably cheaper on the estate market.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The LHS Sterncrests with their silver bands look very classy
How do they smoke compared with the pre-WW ll KBBs ?
The draw is fine on this one and smokes like any well made pipe. It’s chunky and feels cool to the touch. The gold foil Kaywoodie I have from the 1920s is thin walled—I suspect it could feel very warm to the touch if you puffed like a freight train. I don’t think there’s any reliable way to date this Sterling. It could be from 1944 to 1960 (when the company closed up shop).

Reactions: Browny and OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nice to know the Sterncrest smokes cool.

It’s a shame that apart from English and Irish silver, date marks are uncommon.
And even then silver intended for export out of the UK do not have to carry hallmarks

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Does Victory Pipe Craftsmen Inc. Count ?

They made Cellini Original Pipes in Chicago. They went out of business in 1990ish and the sons are still selling off some of the inventory. Here's my unlabeled Cellini Original probably thrown together after the factory closed. The stem has some force bent cracks on it but they don't go through to the draft hole. I bought this unsmoked on ebay for $35 and the seller and I both believe its a Cellini because he bought it from a closed shop in Chicago along with other Cellini's and it matches those. Its an unbelievably cool slow smoker. It doesn't get hot and smokes perfectly cool and dry every time. I like my filtered pipes but this is quickly becoming my favorite long lasting travel pipe. 20mmx50mm chamber.

1682737076457.jpeg
1682737129376.png

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Does Victory Pipe Craftsmen Inc. Count ?
I started this post because of the gaping void in my knowledge of American factory pipes

I’d focused on Britwoods and the occasional Danish maker Since getting back to pipes a few years ago.
It’s only through the enthusiasm of members like @Briar Lee, @telescopes, @crashthegrey and @Parsimonious Piper that I learnt of the existence of Pipes by Lee, WDC, Marxman and a few others.

I’m trying to get an idea of members’ experiences and opinions and how they rank the various makers

Reactions: crashthegrey

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I started this post because of the gaping void in my knowledge of American factory pipes

I’d focused on Britwoods and the occasional Danish maker Since getting back to pipes a few years ago.
It’s only through the enthusiasm of members like @Briar Lee, @telescopes, @crashthegrey and @Parsimonious Piper that I learnt of the existence of Pipes by Lee, WDC, Marxman and a few others.

I’m trying to get an idea of members’ experiences and opinions and how they rank the various makers
My experience until recently was with Peterson seconds, Barontinis and Savinellis, Butz-Choquin hand made - which I would rank in that order, until I bought this unlabeled Cellini Original Hungarian- Victory Pipe Craftsmen, Inc. - Victory Pipe apparently would not put out a pipe with any flaws, fills or blemishes -- those were kept as part pipes for repairs. This is one of my least expensive yet --- is a flawless smoke. No matter what I put in it --- cool, smooth and a sipper with open draw. I would highly recommend one.

• Love
Reactions: Browny and OzPiper

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
My collection of American-made factory pipes informs me that at one point in time, American manufactured factory pipe were both high quality in terms of fit and finish and that they were made of excellent briar.

My ranking is as follows:

Competitive with Dunhills:

Early Kaywoodies up until the late 40s; (sandblasting is exceptional)

High Quality in Every Measure that Matters

Early WDC
LHS Certied Purex

(consistent quality in fit and finish as well as manufacturing)

High Quality

Linkman Dr. Grabows
Early Dr. Grabows
Pipes by Lee (1st and 2nd Generation)
Marxman

Quality

Medico
Williard
Yello-Bole (early examples are outstanding)

I find that by the 1970s, much of the overall quality has become diminished in ways that are easy to measure. Fit and finish, quality of briar, overall craftsmanship, all seem to have suffered some.

Of course, this is only my own viewpoint based on my limited experience with the pipes in my collection.

I don't have many examples of each, but that is by design. I try to only keep the best example I can find of each brand, although I do have some multiples of a few.