PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Here she is all stained and finished. I like making them like this. Very likely might start making these and selling some some day.
20181118_172129-442x600.jpg

20181118_172224-432x600.jpg

20181118_172249-407x600.jpg

20181118_172502-460x600.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Glad I stuck with the thread long enough to see the finished product. The light stain will keep your work looking great for many years.
Congratulations on both craftmanship and design. Simply AWESOME!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks guys! I really enjoy making these. Going to very likely start making more of a production of these using some strategy discussed with another gentleman on here (anthony) by buying the bare basic materials and getting my costs for materials streamlined, then I'll likely up the price based on material used, such as basic price for pine, then upping it for walnut, maple, oak, or what have you. I think it'll be a really nice way of funding my PAD and TAD.

Jan 8, 2013
I am soooo looking forward to seeing more of these made :clap:
I think it'll be a really nice way of funding my PAD and TAD.
*singing to the tune of Everybody's Working For The Weekend, by Loverboy* "Everybody's working for the briar... Everybody wants a new pipe rack.... I gotta pay for my PAD, and just enough left for TAD... I gotta pay for my smoke, come on baby lets go!!!"

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Dude you make really nice pieces. Super cool work!
Thanks! It's fun to work with in the spare time I get. Keeps me out of trouble! :lol:
Yes that's an awesome rack! What you got in the bottom?
It's a compartment for tobacco storage. I use mine and sized it for the little 4 ounce jars. Perfect to keep about 9 jars or a few jars and a few tins, etc. Tried to size it accommodate several options.
I'd buy 1 for sure.
Good to know. Going to be working on making simple ones from pine to start soon, establishing my methods and sizes, all that good stuff. Hopefully I can start producing more once it starts to warm up a bit.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Beautiful work! My garage / woodshop / smoking den is where I hang out. It is actually too small to put a car into, so I turned it into my Fortress of Solitude. There is a path between the tools to a chair and ashtray. I think the most woodchips I made in a day was up to my knees.

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Looks great! Sort of elegant and rustic in the same time.

Choice of stain is great too - it's always nice when you can see the grain of the wood.

I would definitely be a customer.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of the shelf? Trying to figure if I would have room for one.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Really nice work. If the shipping wouldn’t be $100 plus to Canada, I’d buy one too
You know, I haven't even looked into what shipping would cost for one of these bad boys. That's something I need to look into as well, I reckon.
Beautiful work! My garage / woodshop / smoking den is where I hang out. It is actually too small to put a car into, so I turned it into my Fortress of Solitude. There is a path between the tools to a chair and ashtray. I think the most woodchips I made in a day was up to my knees.
Thanks! I feel your pain. My garage right now has the same path with tools on each side and a very lovely wood chip floor. It actually helps make the concrete not too bad on the feet/knees as it accumulates. I try to clean up, but it is a fruitless endeavor. I have so many things out there completely covered in saw dust it's insane. Really plan to invest in a dust collection system when I move into my next house and have a planned workshop.
Looks great! Sort of elegant and rustic in the same time.

Choice of stain is great too - it's always nice when you can see the grain of the wood.

I would definitely be a customer.
Thank you! That's what I was going for. This maple was so beautiful that it was a shame to apply anything other than a light stain to it, but it needed a little bit of color, just not too much. I love seeing the grain in it. That's good to know. I'll be working on these more and more once the winter breaks and I can get out and not freeze to death while I'm working.
That's absolutely beautiful. Put me in for 2.
Alrighty! Sounds good to me!
If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of the shelf? Trying to figure if I would have room for one.
Honestly, I can't recall for sure, but I'm pretty sure I built this one to be roughly 13 inches from inside to inside and about 7 inches deep of the box portion itself, that way it could hold about 4-4 ounce jars wide and about two deep, and two high. You could easily stack 16-4-ounce jars inside or mix and match with tins. Tins fit very easily inside as well.
The dimensions I give above are all inside measurements since I use many different thicknesses of wood,so if you add the thickness of this particular maple to it that I used, my guess is that this one is about 15 inches wide and about 8 inches deep, then roughly 20 inches tall.
When I get home today, I might fill the box with some of my own items and take some more pictures. Should done that anyway, but I got covered up in another side table project for my dad for Christmas that I had to start as soon as I finished this to have it done in time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have time to make several or more, and will still be in Raleigh in April, I think you might sell them at the TAPS pipe show. I was going to vote for no stain, but when I saw it stained, I liked it equally well. My wife gave me a gift certificate for a similar stand from Two Cousins (no longer in business I'm afraid). It is my primo stand, along with a window-front cabinet she gave me. On the other hand, if you are prepping for a move (you mentioned in another post) it might be a bridge too far. But I think these would sell easily, if you can get them in front of pipe smokers. Maybe by consignment at a pipe shop as another alternative. It has a great durable look. Incidentally, I custom ordered mine to be made of wood stained as old barn wood in muted red. When it was finished, they sent photos and gave me a choice between that and a more typical finish and style, but I adamantly wanted the barn-wood look, and they clearly agreed. My wife was in rehab after hip surgery, so when it was delivered, I loaded up the rack with pipes and tobacco and took it to rehab to set it up and show it off, which she enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.